Reload stumpwm after source change

David T. Harris
All,
In the StumpWM Experience video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKt_rVO960Q&t=4m43s ) by male and bobf, male shows that he can edit a stumpwm source file (stumpwm.lisp in his example), hit a key in vim, and have the change take effect immediately without reloading or recompiling.

My question is how does he do this?   What exact key is he running in vim to do this.

In vim it shows the following:

:'<,'>w ! stumprun
STUMPWM-INTERNAL-LOOP

I've searched google and the stumpwm git repo and can't find stumprun, I'm guessing this is a script that male made?  If it is does anyone know what could have been in the script?

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this.

David

Re: Reload stumpwm after source change

Diogo F. S. Ramos
"David T. Harris" <[hidden email]> writes:

> In the StumpWM Experience video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKt_rVO960Q&t=4m43s ) by male and bobf, male shows that he can edit a stumpwm source file (stumpwm.lisp in his example), hit a key in vim,
> and have the change take effect immediately without reloading or recompiling.
>
> My question is how does he do this?   What exact key is he running in vim to do this.
>
> In vim it shows the following:
>
> :'<,'>w ! stumprun
> STUMPWM-INTERNAL-LOOP
>
> I've searched google and the stumpwm git repo and can't find stumprun, I'm guessing this is a script that male made?  If it is does anyone know what could have been in the script?
>
> Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this.

I don't know what they are using and I'm not a VIM user, but in Emacs we
normally use SLIME[0] to talk to the common lisp machine.

Maybe they are using Slimv[1], which is apparently "SLIME for Vim".

[0] http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/

[1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2531

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos

Re: Reload stumpwm after source change

Pedro Silva-21
"David T. Harris" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've searched google and the stumpwm git repo and can't find stumprun,
> I'm guessing this is a script that male made?  If it is does anyone
> know what could have been in the script?

I suppose stumprun could wrap something like this:

stumpish -e eval < .stumpwmrc

Pedro

Re: Reload stumpwm after source change

David T. Harris
Diogo,
  Thank you for the reply.  How exactly does slime work with stumpwm?  I compiled stumpwm using the normal ./configure, and make with sbcl.  Then I copied the executable into my local ~/bin.  I then put a line in my .xinitrc file that exec's the stumpwm in ~/bin when I run startx.

At this point how would you use swank to interact with the running lisp process?

If you edited a file in the stumpwm source tree (like stumpwm.lisp ) how would you make those changes appear in the running stumpwm lisp process?

Thank you,
David

"David T. Harris" <[hidden email]> writes:

> In the StumpWM Experience video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKt_rVO960Q&t=4m43s ) by male and bobf, male shows that he can edit a stumpwm source file (stumpwm.lisp in his example), hit a key in vim,
> and have the change take effect immediately without reloading or recompiling.
>
> My question is how does he do this?  What exact key is he running in vim to do this.
>
> In vim it shows the following:
>
> :'<,'>w ! stumprun
> STUMPWM-INTERNAL-LOOP
>
> I've searched google and the stumpwm git repo and can't find stumprun, I'm guessing this is a script that male made?  If it is does anyone know what could have been in the script?
>
> Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this.

I don't know what they are using and I'm not a VIM user, but in Emacs we
normally use SLIME[0] to talk to the common lisp machine.

Maybe they are using Slimv[1], which is apparently "SLIME for Vim".

[0] http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/

[1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2531

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos

Re: Reload stumpwm after source change

Eric Abrahamsen-2
On Sun, Jun 17 2012, David T. Harris wrote:

> Diogo,
>   Thank you for the reply.  How exactly does slime work with stumpwm?
>  I compiled stumpwm using the normal ./configure, and make with sbcl.
>  Then I copied the executable into my local ~/bin.  I then put a line
> in my .xinitrc file that exec's the stumpwm in ~/bin when I run
> startx.
>
> At this point how would you use swank to interact with the running
> lisp process?

This link is from the Arch wiki but should work so long as you're using
SBCL (or another multithreaded lisp, probably):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Stumpwm#With_Quicklisp_.28recommended.29

I'd definitely recommend quicklisp or some other package manager. Then
I've got this in my .stumpwmrc:

(require 'swank)
(swank-loader::setup)
(defcommand swank () ()
 (setf stumpwm:*top-level-error-action* :break)
 (swank:create-server :style swank:*communication-style*
                      :dont-close t)
 (echo-string (current-screen) "Starting swank."))
(define-key *root-map* (kbd "C-s") "swank")

Start that, and run M-x slime-connect in emacs.