Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Ravishankar N
Hi,

The gluster code base has some words and terminology (blacklist,
whitelist, master, slave etc.) that can be considered hurtful/offensive
to people in a global open source setting. Some of words can be fixed
trivially but the Geo-replication code seems to be something that needs
extensive rework. More so because we have these words being used in the
CLI itself. Two questions that I had were:

1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
terminology?

2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
*not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?

Thanks,

Ravi

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Sunny Kumar
+1 for this.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 10:04 AM Ravishankar N <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The gluster code base has some words and terminology (blacklist,
> whitelist, master, slave etc.) that can be considered hurtful/offensive
> to people in a global open source setting. Some of words can be fixed
> trivially but the Geo-replication code seems to be something that needs
> extensive rework. More so because we have these words being used in the
> CLI itself. Two questions that I had were:
>
> 1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
> code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
> terminology?

Primary:secondary looks good to me.
It needs lots of code change, and testing as well.
> 2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
> *not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?

IMO, this should be okay.

3. We need to modify documation.
4. Modification in test cases as well.

> Thanks,
>
> Ravi

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968
>

> Gluster-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gluster.org/mailman/listinfo/gluster-devel

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Ashish Pandey

1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
terminology?

>> Other options could be - Leader : follower

2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
*not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?

>> I hope so as it is not impacting functionality.

----
Ashish

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Shwetha Acharya

1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
terminology?
Primary and Secondary sounds good.

2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
*not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?

This should be okay according to me.

We need to take care that changes are evenly applied across, and tested.

Regards,
Shwetha

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Sanju Rakonde

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 2:34 PM Ravishankar N <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The gluster code base has some words and terminology (blacklist,
whitelist, master, slave etc.) that can be considered hurtful/offensive
to people in a global open source setting. Some of words can be fixed
trivially but the Geo-replication code seems to be something that needs
extensive rework. More so because we have these words being used in the
CLI itself. Two questions that I had were:

1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
terminology?
primary:secondary looks good to me.

2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
*not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?
This should be fine, as it is glusterd which passes the request to the peers. This will not cause any issue in the heterogenous cluster as well.

Thanks,

Ravi

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Sanju

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Yaniv Kaul

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 12:37 PM Shwetha Acharya <[hidden email]> wrote:

1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
terminology?
Primary and Secondary sounds good.

ACK, though others use leader and follower(s).

2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
*not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?

This should be okay according to me.

We'll need to be careful not to break users of the CLI.

Y.

We need to take care that changes are evenly applied across, and tested.

Regards,
Shwetha

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Aravinda VK-2
+1

> On 22-Jul-2020, at 2:34 PM, Ravishankar N <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> The gluster code base has some words and terminology (blacklist, whitelist, master, slave etc.) that can be considered hurtful/offensive to people in a global open source setting. Some of words can be fixed trivially but the Geo-replication code seems to be something that needs extensive rework. More so because we have these words being used in the CLI itself. Two questions that I had were:
>
> 1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate terminology?

Primary -> Secondary looks good.

> 2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and *not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?

Functionality is not affected and CLI commands are compatible since all are positional arguments. Need changes in

- Geo-rep status xml output
- Documentation
- CLI help
- Variables and other references in Code.

> Thanks,
>
> Ravi

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968
>

> Gluster-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gluster.org/mailman/listinfo/gluster-devel

Aravinda Vishwanathapura
https://kadalu.io

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar
+1

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 2:34 PM Ravishankar N <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The gluster code base has some words and terminology (blacklist,
whitelist, master, slave etc.) that can be considered hurtful/offensive
to people in a global open source setting. Some of words can be fixed
trivially but the Geo-replication code seems to be something that needs
extensive rework. More so because we have these words being used in the
CLI itself. Two questions that I had were:

1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
terminology?
Primary:secondary looks good to me.

2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
*not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?

 I think that should be good. This also needs a change tool/scripts which uses geo-rep like geo-rep scheduler script.

Thanks,

Ravi

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Thanks and Regards,
Kotresh H R

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Srijan Sivakumar
How about main and mirror. Mirror is sometimes used to define a replice in servers, network nodes, etc.
Also, it might be easy for users to pick on the terms as mirror is pretty self explanatory wherein secondary
might cause some confusion in the initial stages.

[...]

SRIJAN SIVAKUMAR

Associate Software Engineer

Red Hat

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Ravishankar N

Just a quick update:  all geo-rep related offensive words (as a matter
of fact, even the non geo-rep ones) that can be removed from the code
have been done so from the devel branch of the glusterfs repo. I thank
everyone for their suggestions, debugging/testing help and code reviews.

Since we have some soak time before the changes make it to the
release-10 branch, I would encourage you to test the changes and report
any issues that you might find. Please try out both new geo-rep set ups
as well as upgrade scenarios (say from a supported release version to
the latest devel branch).

Also, for any new PRs that we are sending/ reviewing/merging, we need to
keep in mind not to re-introduce any offensive words.

Wishing you all a happy new year!
Ravi

-------

Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
Thank you for the update. Looking forward to the completion of this
activity in early 2021!

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://about.me/sankarshan.mukhopadhyay>