Restoring from/to a USB stick

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello

Recently, I installed the version of Fedora 32 onto my PC. I'd been using Fedora 31 and Deja Vu backed up my files on a weekly basis. This included my home directory and also a USB stick which was mostly but not always plugged into the machine.

After installing Fedora 32 then I tried to restore the PC and the USB stick. While the PC restored fine - thank-you so much for that - the USB wasn't restored. I should say that all the data on the USB stick had been deleted prior to the attempt to restore it ie it was completely blank.

I thought that perhaps the USB stick didn't restore as when the incremental back-ups were made by duplicity then if there's no USB stick this is regarded as all the files have been deleted. It's a guess!

I understand that there was a full back-up of the USB on 26 March 2020 so I tried to restore the USB (/run/media/awood/7160-75C1) with this:

>duplicity restore --time "03-26-2020" file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/7160-75C1

But I get this response:

>Restore destination directory /run/media/awood/7160-75C1 already exists.
>Will not overwrite.

Any suggestions of how I should proceed?

Thanks for your help and assistance,

Andrew

Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

On Mon, 11 May 2020, Andrew Wood via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Hello
>
> Recently, I installed the version of Fedora 32 onto my PC. I'd been using
> Fedora 31 and Deja Vu backed up my files on a weekly basis. This included my
> home directory and also a USB stick which was mostly but not always plugged
> into the machine.
>
> After installing Fedora 32 then I tried to restore the PC and the USB stick.
> While the PC restored fine - thank-you so much for that - the USB wasn't
> restored. I should say that all the data on the USB stick had been deleted
> prior to the attempt to restore it ie it was completely blank.
>
> I thought that perhaps the USB stick didn't restore as when the incremental
> back-ups were made by duplicity then if there's no USB stick this is regarded
> as all the files have been deleted. It's a guess!

That's typically true, and then when the stick is present again, it will
be as if the files were newly created, and a brand new copy will be
included in the backup (not just the changes since the last time they
were present).  So this is not a very efficient way of using duplicity.

> I understand that there was a full back-up of the USB on 26 March 2020 so I
> tried to restore the USB (/run/media/awood/7160-75C1) with this:
>
>> duplicity restore --time "03-26-2020"
> file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/7160-75C1
>
> But I get this response:
>
>> Restore destination directory /run/media/awood/7160-75C1 already exists.
>> Will not overwrite.

The simplest approach would be to restore to some other directory which
doesn't already exist, and then copy the files to the USB stick or
wherever you want them.

duplicity restore --time "03-26-2020" file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /var/tmp/new-dir

If you really need to restore the files in place, you might be able to use
--force, but I haven't tried it.  Use caution.

--
Nate Eldredge

Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

duplicity-talk mailing list

Hi Nate/ everyone

Thanks for the suggestion below re. using a temporary directory, however the temporary directory only contains the restored /home directory and not the contents of the USB. Both locations were included as places for making back-ups to Deja-Vu, and indeed duplicity indicates that a full back-up was made of the USB - on 26 March as in my initial email to the list below.

If I use the --force option as suggested then will it actually make any difference except restoring my /home directory again? More to the point, I don't need to restore the /home directory - it was already restored and indeed into the hard disk.

It's the USB which is to be restored. I don't see how I can specify only restoring the USB and all its contents. Any suggestions? Surely, I need to specify the USB in the parameters to duplicity?

Thanks for your continued suggestions and advice,

Andrew

Re: Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

duplicity-talk mailing list
On Mon, 11 May 2020, Andrew Wood via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Hi Nate/ everyone
>
> Thanks for the suggestion below re. using a temporary directory, however the
> temporary directory only contains the restored /home directory and not the
> contents of the USB. Both locations were included as places for making
> back-ups to Deja-Vu, and indeed duplicity indicates that a full back-up was
> made of the USB - on 26 March as in my initial email to the list below.

Oh.  The option --time asks for the most recent backup *at or before* the
given time, and when you specify only a date it's interpreted as midnight
(00:00h).  So if the backup was actually made sometime *on* March 26, then
you're getting an earlier backup.  Perhaps you want --time "03-27-2020"
instead.

You may want to use "duplicity list-current-files" with --time to see if
your desired files are there, as of the specified date, before going
through with the restore.

> If I use the --force option as suggested then will it actually make any
> difference except restoring my /home directory again? More to the point, I
> don't need to restore the /home directory - it was already restored and
> indeed into the hard disk.

Yeah, --force won't affect which files are restored - it's just to allow
you to restore into a directory which is not empty, potentially
overwriting anything that's there.  Using the temporary directory is
safer.

> It's the USB which is to be restored. I don't see how I can specify only
> restoring the USB and all its contents. Any suggestions? Surely, I need to
> specify the USB in the parameters to duplicity?

By default everything in the backup is restored.  If you want to select
only a particular file or director, use the --file-to-restore option.

--
Nate Eldredge

Re: Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi Nate/ everyone,

Thanks for your further suggestions and advice.

If I run

 >duplicity list-current-files
file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up >
/run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/dup-log.txt

which has no --time parameter, and I try and find an entry for the USB
volume '7160-75C1' then there's no reference other than a couple of
status file - like this one:

home/awood/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/uuid-7160-75C1-e7c29a79.log

I also tried this is the --time "03-27-2020" instead and there's the
same result - no other reference to the USB than that above.

The reason that I think that the USB was actually backed-up is that if I
look in some of the more recent manifest files then I can see delete
operations on files in the USB volume '7160-75C1'. So, I conclude that
there was - at some point a full back-up of the volume, and then
subsequent operations on the files on the volume are being recorded ie
changelog. I also know that in March/April the USB stick was mounted and
that the locations to back-up in Deja-Vu were both /home/andrew and also
the USB volume. So, the question is - how can I retrieve that full
backup and specifically the USB?

For example, if I try something like this as was suggested:

duplicity --file-to-restore  /run/media/awood/7160-75C1/
file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up
/run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore-7160-75C1

This man entry for duplicity (https://linux.die.net/man/1/duplicity)
suggests --file-to-restore takes a folder name. If I specify the root
for the folder then that should work, shouldn't it? Hence the '/' on the
volume name for the USB.

Best wishes,

Andrew

On 12.05.2020 11:37, Andrew Wood via Duplicity-talk wrote:

>>duplicity list-current-files file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up > /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/dup-log.txt
>
> which has no --time parameter, and I try and find an entry for the USB volume '7160-75C1' then there's no reference other than a couple of status file - like this one:
>
> home/awood/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/uuid-7160-75C1-e7c29a79.log
>
> I also tried this is the --time "03-27-2020" instead and there's the same result - no other reference to the USB than that above.

hey Andrew,

check the documentation of accepted time formats http://duplicity.nongnu.org/vers8/duplicity.1.html#sect8

you may also use intervals like e.g. 30D (30 days ago)

> For example, if I try something like this as was suggested:
>
> duplicity --file-to-restore  /run/media/awood/7160-75C1/ file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore-7160-75C1
>
> This man entry for duplicity (https://linux.die.net/man/1/duplicity) suggests --file-to-restore takes a folder name. If I specify the root for the folder then that should work, shouldn't it? Hence the '/' on the volume name for the USB.

'-file-to-restore' takes folder's or file's names. whatever it finds with that name in the backup it restores. so yeah, looks good. the trailing slash shouldn't be needed.

good luck ..ede/duply.net

On Tue, 12 May 2020, Andrew Wood wrote:

> If I run
>
>> duplicity list-current-files
> file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up >
> /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/dup-log.txt
>
> which has no --time parameter, and I try and find an entry for the USB volume
> '7160-75C1' then there's no reference other than a couple of status file -
> like this one:
>
> home/awood/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/uuid-7160-75C1-e7c29a79.log
When you omit --time from either a restore or list-current-files command,
you get the contents of the most recent backup of the set (full or
incremental).  I thought you'd already established that the files you want
were not present for the most recent backup, so this doesn't seem to tell
us anything new.

> I also tried this is the --time "03-27-2020" instead and there's the same
> result - no other reference to the USB than that above.
>
> The reason that I think that the USB was actually backed-up is that if I look
> in some of the more recent manifest files then I can see delete operations on
> files in the USB volume '7160-75C1'. So, I conclude that there was - at some
> point a full back-up of the volume, and then subsequent operations on the
> files on the volume are being recorded ie changelog. I also know that in
> March/April the USB stick was mounted and that the locations to back-up in
> Deja-Vu were both /home/andrew and also the USB volume. So, the question is -
> how can I retrieve that full backup and specifically the USB?
I guess I don't know how Deja-Vu structures its backups.  I think the most
complete advice I can suggest is:

- Use 'duplicity collection-status file://...' to make a list of all
date when backups that took place.

- For each date that seems relevant, use 'duplicity list-current-files
--time=... file://...", with a date/time slightly later than what's listed
for the backup in question.

- Search each resulting list for the files you want.  It's probably more
useful to search for the name of a particular file, rather than the
directory where you think it was located, in case it was not what you
thought.

> For example, if I try something like this as was suggested:
>
> duplicity --file-to-restore  /run/media/awood/7160-75C1/
> file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up
> /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore-7160-75C1
>
> This man entry for duplicity (https://linux.die.net/man/1/duplicity) suggests
> --file-to-restore takes a folder name. If I specify the root for the folder
> then that should work, shouldn't it? Hence the '/' on the volume name for the
> USB.
It takes a folder name, yes, but *relative* to the base point of the
backup.  So for instance, if you originally ran "duplicity full /foo/bar"
and there was a folder called /foo/bar/baz/blah, then in order to restore
it you would need to use "--file-to-restore baz/blah".  If the base point
was / then you'd use "--file-to-restore foo/bar/baz/blah" (without an
initial /).

I don't know what Deja-Vu uses as its base point, which is why I suggest
looking for a file name instead of a directory.

--
Nate Eldredge

Re: Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi Edgar/ Nate/everyone

Thanks for your help and assistance below. Hmmm, I don't understand but
this doesn't restore the USB stick '7160-75C1' :

[awood@localhost ~]$ duplicity -t 30D --file-to-restore
/run/media/awood/7160-75C1
file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up
/run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/7160-75C1-restored
Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
Last full backup date: Thu Mar 26 09:21:33 2020
GnuPG passphrase:
run/media/awood/7160-75C1 not found in archive - no files restored.

The reason why I think the USB stick '7160-75C1' was backed-up is that I
see these references in the manifest
(duplicity-inc.20200416T105339Z.to.20200420T123706Z.manifest - 20 April
2020):

Hostname localhost.localdomain
Localdir /
Volume 1:
     StartingPath   .
     EndingPath
run/media/awood/7160-75C1/.Trash-1000/files/Contact-Improv.avi 419
     Hash SHA1 d43792af9c056c250fe8f61bba115b679209a75b
Volume 2:
     StartingPath
run/media/awood/7160-75C1/.Trash-1000/files/Contact-Improv.avi 420
     EndingPath
"run/media/awood/7160-75C1/.Trash-1000/files/Oxford-Create-Contact-Dance\x20#2.pptx"
460
     Hash SHA1 0e6f2bc5ffb06d529d35a9ca81a9ac4c91c3e84c
Volume 3:
     StartingPath
"run/media/awood/7160-75C1/.Trash-1000/files/Oxford-Create-Contact-Dance\x20#2.pptx"
461
     EndingPath
run/media/awood/7160-75C1/.Trash-1000/files/Oxford-Create-Contact-Dance.odp
605
     Hash SHA1 9fc2bb32214c5e399d536e3190ed5952de98e550
Volume 4:
     StartingPath
run/media/awood/7160-75C1/.Trash-1000/files/Oxford-Create-Contact-Dance.odp
606
     EndingPath     run/media/awood/7160-75C1/100D3200/DSC_0137.JPG 41
     Hash SHA1 0792189bef33d5725c445023ca4e904bed1efb7b
Volume 5:

Volume 291:
     StartingPath
run/media/awood/7160-75C1/myDocuments/jobs2013/CTC-Senior-Meida-Relations/presentation/herne-hill-velodrome-01.jpg
34
     EndingPath
run/media/awood/7160-75C1/myDocuments/jobs2013-1/CTC-Senior-Meida-Relations/presentation/CTC-Andrew-Wood-Presentation.odp
64
     Hash SHA1 49471417a194cc3f8f95238706aac7d53753f1f2
Volume 292:
     StartingPath
run/media/awood/7160-75C1/myDocuments/jobs2013-1/CTC-Senior-Meida-Relations/presentation/CTC-Andrew-Wood-Presentation.odp
65
     EndingPath
run/media/awood/7160-75C1/twitter-30-Nov-jellybabynet-Cyg293zXUAEH9N9.jpg
     Hash SHA1 d37d1708387ee095bb0a1d8a993ba2501ae19e2e

Any suggestions as to how I might proceed?

Best wishes,

Andrew

On 12/05/2020 10:49, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> On 12.05.2020 11:37, Andrew Wood via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>> duplicity list-current-files file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up > /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/dup-log.txt
>> which has no --time parameter, and I try and find an entry for the USB volume '7160-75C1' then there's no reference other than a couple of status file - like this one:
>>
>> home/awood/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/uuid-7160-75C1-e7c29a79.log
>>
>> I also tried this is the --time "03-27-2020" instead and there's the same result - no other reference to the USB than that above.
> hey Andrew,
>
> check the documentation of accepted time formats http://duplicity.nongnu.org/vers8/duplicity.1.html#sect8
>
> you may also use intervals like e.g. 30D (30 days ago)
>
>> For example, if I try something like this as was suggested:
>>
>> duplicity --file-to-restore  /run/media/awood/7160-75C1/ file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore-7160-75C1
>>
>> This man entry for duplicity (https://linux.die.net/man/1/duplicity) suggests --file-to-restore takes a folder name. If I specify the root for the folder then that should work, shouldn't it? Hence the '/' on the volume name for the USB.
> '-file-to-restore' takes folder's or file's names. whatever it finds with that name in the backup it restores. so yeah, looks good. the trailing slash shouldn't be needed.
>
> good luck ..ede/duply.net

Re: Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

duplicity-talk mailing list
Andrew,

please send the complete output of

  duplicity collection-status file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up

also. does

  duplicity list-current-files --time 2020/04/21 file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up

list the files you are unable to restore?

..ede/duply.net

On 12.05.2020 19:00, Andrew Wood via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> check the documentation of accepted time formats http://duplicity.nongnu.org/vers8/duplicity.1.html#sect8
>>
>> you may also use intervals like e.g. 30D (30 days ago)
>>
>>> For example, if I try something like this as was suggested:
>>>
>>> duplicity --file-to-restore  /run/media/awood/7160-75C1/ file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore-7160-75C1
>>>
>>> This man entry for duplicity (https://linux.die.net/man/1/duplicity) suggests --file-to-restore takes a folder name. If I specify the root for the folder then that should work, shouldn't it? Hence the '/' on the volume name for the USB.
>> '-file-to-restore' takes folder's or file's names. whatever it finds with that name in the backup it restores. so yeah, looks good. the trailing slash shouldn't be needed.
>>
>> good luck ..ede/duply.net

Re: Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

Hello Edgar/ Nate/ everyone

Thanks for you help and assistance. Here's the output of the two
commands as requested:

1)

[awood@localhost ~]$ duplicity collection-status
file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up
Last full backup date: Thu Mar 26 09:21:33 2020
Collection Status
-----------------
Connecting with backend: BackendWrapper
Archive directory:
/home/awood/.cache/duplicity/d8a1ed559e366bb0ccdf1d4f1d1954b1

Found 4 secondary backup chains.
Secondary chain 1 of 4:
-------------------------
Chain start time: Tue Mar 19 08:49:48 2019
Chain end time: Thu Jun 13 08:29:32 2019
Number of contained backup sets: 13
Total number of contained volumes: 857
  Type of backup set:                            Time:   Number of volumes:
                 Full         Tue Mar 19 08:49:48 2019               692
          Incremental         Thu Mar 21 08:45:13 2019                 2
          Incremental         Fri Mar 29 09:50:42 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Apr  4 09:05:47 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Apr 11 13:43:35 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Apr 18 09:04:15 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Apr 25 08:39:46 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu May  2 08:56:00 2019                 1
          Incremental         Fri May 17 18:09:09 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu May 23 20:56:59 2019                37
          Incremental         Thu May 30 08:57:04 2019                 5
          Incremental         Thu Jun  6 08:31:09 2019                85
          Incremental         Thu Jun 13 08:29:32 2019                29
-------------------------

Secondary chain 2 of 4:
-------------------------
Chain start time: Sun Jun 23 09:57:44 2019
Chain end time: Thu Sep 19 08:34:01 2019
Number of contained backup sets: 12
Total number of contained volumes: 883
  Type of backup set:                            Time:   Number of volumes:
                 Full         Sun Jun 23 09:57:44 2019               847
          Incremental         Thu Jun 27 08:26:38 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Jul  4 08:36:08 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Jul 11 08:40:04 2019                 2
          Incremental         Thu Jul 18 08:09:21 2019                 1
          Incremental         Sun Jul 28 13:43:06 2019                 5
          Incremental         Thu Aug  1 08:50:37 2019                 2
          Incremental         Thu Aug 22 15:02:39 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Aug 29 14:27:43 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Sep  5 09:04:04 2019                20
          Incremental         Thu Sep 12 14:08:52 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Sep 19 08:34:01 2019                 1
-------------------------

Secondary chain 3 of 4:
-------------------------
Chain start time: Thu Sep 26 20:13:20 2019
Chain end time: Thu Dec 19 14:48:40 2019
Number of contained backup sets: 13
Total number of contained volumes: 885
  Type of backup set:                            Time:   Number of volumes:
                 Full         Thu Sep 26 20:13:20 2019               873
          Incremental         Thu Oct  3 08:35:56 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Oct 10 08:46:17 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Oct 17 09:10:49 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Oct 24 08:54:59 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Oct 31 08:59:58 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Nov  7 09:15:24 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Nov 14 09:35:28 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Nov 21 08:54:35 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Nov 28 08:38:20 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Dec  5 08:24:35 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Dec 12 08:39:37 2019                 1
          Incremental         Thu Dec 19 14:48:40 2019                 1
-------------------------

Secondary chain 4 of 4:
-------------------------
Chain start time: Thu Dec 26 14:00:44 2019
Chain end time: Thu Mar 19 09:12:53 2020
Number of contained backup sets: 13
Total number of contained volumes: 892
  Type of backup set:                            Time:   Number of volumes:
                 Full         Thu Dec 26 14:00:44 2019               877
          Incremental         Thu Jan  2 09:47:20 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Jan  9 08:46:31 2020                 2
          Incremental         Thu Jan 16 08:06:46 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Jan 23 08:42:20 2020                 2
          Incremental         Thu Jan 30 10:20:14 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Feb  6 09:34:33 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Feb 13 08:46:51 2020                 2
          Incremental         Thu Feb 20 08:50:41 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Feb 27 20:22:19 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Mar  5 09:07:58 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Mar 12 13:59:51 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Mar 19 09:12:53 2020                 1
-------------------------

Found primary backup chain with matching signature chain:
-------------------------
Chain start time: Thu Mar 26 09:21:33 2020
Chain end time: Thu Apr 30 09:36:18 2020
Number of contained backup sets: 7
Total number of contained volumes: 1187
  Type of backup set:                            Time:   Number of volumes:
                 Full         Thu Mar 26 09:21:33 2020               884
          Incremental         Thu Apr  2 09:23:45 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Apr  9 09:49:48 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Apr 16 11:53:39 2020                 1
          Incremental         Mon Apr 20 13:37:06 2020               292
          Incremental         Thu Apr 23 09:20:53 2020                 1
          Incremental         Thu Apr 30 09:36:18 2020                 7
-------------------------
No orphaned or incomplete backup sets found.

2)

duplicity list-current-files --time 2020/04/21
file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up

The output of this is huge 64,725 lines (using wc -l)!... shall I attach
the output file? But I note that it includes references to both
run/media/awood/7160-75C1 files and also home/awood which is a good sign
I guess.

Best wishes, Andrew

On 13.05.2020 09:59, Andrew Wood via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Hello Edgar/ Nate/ everyone
>
> Thanks for you help and assistance. Here's the output of the two commands as requested:
>
> 1)
>
> [awood@localhost ~]$ duplicity collection-status file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up
> Last full backup date: Thu Mar 26 09:21:33 2020
> Collection Status
> -----------------
> Connecting with backend: BackendWrapper
> Archive directory: /home/awood/.cache/duplicity/d8a1ed559e366bb0ccdf1d4f1d1954b1
>
> Found 4 secondary backup chains.
> Secondary chain 1 of 4:
> -------------------------
> Chain start time: Tue Mar 19 08:49:48 2019
> Chain end time: Thu Jun 13 08:29:32 2019
> Number of contained backup sets: 13
> Total number of contained volumes: 857
>  Type of backup set:                            Time:   Number of volumes:
>                 Full         Tue Mar 19 08:49:48 2019               692
>          Incremental         Thu Mar 21 08:45:13 2019                 2
SNIP

looks healthy so far

> Found primary backup chain with matching signature chain:
> -------------------------
> Chain start time: Thu Mar 26 09:21:33 2020
> Chain end time: Thu Apr 30 09:36:18 2020
> Number of contained backup sets: 7
> Total number of contained volumes: 1187
>  Type of backup set:                            Time:   Number of volumes:
>                 Full         Thu Mar 26 09:21:33 2020               884
>          Incremental         Thu Apr  2 09:23:45 2020                 1
>          Incremental         Thu Apr  9 09:49:48 2020                 1
>          Incremental         Thu Apr 16 11:53:39 2020                 1
>          Incremental         Mon Apr 20 13:37:06 2020               292

the above looks like suddenly there was a lot more to backup. maybe the stick was reattached? it actually seems to be the date we are listing files from. note 2020/04/21 is between the backup's date and the next one's.

>          Incremental         Thu Apr 23 09:20:53 2020                 1
>          Incremental         Thu Apr 30 09:36:18 2020                 7
> -------------------------
> No orphaned or incomplete backup sets found.
>
> 2)
>
> duplicity list-current-files --time 2020/04/21 file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up
>
> The output of this is huge 64,725 lines (using wc -l)!... shall I attach the output file? But I note that it includes references to both run/media/awood/7160-75C1 files and also home/awood which is a good sign I guess.

nope, not needed. it's important if it lists the files you are missing! if so try

  duplicity --time 2020/04/21 --file-to-restore run/media/awood/7160-75C1 file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/7160-75C1-restored

..ede/duply.net

Re: Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

duplicity-talk mailing list
Dear Edgar (Nate/ everyone)

SOLVED! The command which you suggested below worked. Thank-you so much
- I was really at my wits end.

Now I'm wondering if there is anyway to reduce the likelihood of this
happening again, or to suggest improvements/enhancement requests to
Duplicity or Deja Vu. On the plus side: I've learned something and this
email would be searchable to others which is helpful to others. I guess
there is - if nothing else - a use-case here for the developers.

It's slightly confusing that duplicity takes the parameter
--file-to-restore when it actually restores a directory or indeed a
whole volume.

Once again - thank-you so much for all your assistance,

Andrew, Oxford, UK

On 13.05.2020 15:30, Andrew Wood via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Dear Edgar (Nate/ everyone)
>
> SOLVED! The command which you suggested below worked. Thank-you so much - I was really at my wits end.

good to hear

> Now I'm wondering if there is anyway to reduce the likelihood of this happening again, or to suggest improvements/enhancement requests to Duplicity or Deja Vu.

well. how about not backing up empty mount points? not sure if deja-dup supports conditions, but running duplicity using a condition via cron would look roughly like

grep -q '/mount/srcpath' && duplicity '/mount/srcpath' scheme://targethost/path

most important thing is that it'd be a separate backup set that'll only be backed up if the source is mounted!

>On the plus side: I've learned something and this email would be searchable to others which is helpful to others. I guess there is - if nothing else - a use-case here for the developers.
>
> It's slightly confusing that duplicity takes the parameter --file-to-restore when it actually restores a directory or indeed a whole volume.

yeah well that's legacy. maybe some kind soul at some point implements '--in/exclude' support for restores.

> Once again - thank-you so much for all your assistance,

de nada.. ede/duply.net

> [...]
>>>           Incremental         Thu Apr 30 09:36:18 2020                 7
>>> -------------------------
>>> No orphaned or incomplete backup sets found.
>>>
>>> 2)
>>>
>>> duplicity list-current-files --time 2020/04/21 file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up
>>>
>>> The output of this is huge 64,725 lines (using wc -l)!... shall I attach the output file? But I note that it includes references to both run/media/awood/7160-75C1 files and also home/awood which is a good sign I guess.
>> nope, not needed. it's important if it lists the files you are missing! if so try
>>
>>    duplicity --time 2020/04/21 --file-to-restore run/media/awood/7160-75C1 file:///run/media/awood/MyPassport/Deja-Vu-Back-up /run/media/awood/MyPassport/USB-Restore/7160-75C1-restored
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net

Re: Fwd: Re: Restoring from/to a USB stick

Hi Edgar,

I submitted a bug report for Deja-Dup with the suggestion re. empty
mount points. I also included the text of our email exchange too. Let's
hope that does the trick!

Best wishes,

Andrew