Reverse Italic fonts?

Christian Flatscher-2
Hi,

Are there any plans to release the FreeFont font sets with reverse italic letters as well?

That is have the fonts lean to the left rather than right.

Thanks!

--Christian

Re: Reverse Italic fonts?

Steve White-12
Hi Christian,

italic is eye-catching!  (But so is text in red.)

A couple of general notes.

I think what you're describing is not an italic, but an *oblique*.

Italic is a specific style of Latin type, based on a script style,
which *always* featured a left lean. But it also changes the general
shape of letters.  This is what you see in, say FreeSerifItalic.
Oblique is simply a skewing of the letters. The basis shape is not
changed, they're just leaned over.  This is what is usually done with
sans-serif fonts.

Skewing is a simple mathematical linear transformation, which can be
done in software -- it doesn't need a special font.
Many graphics programs provide a means to skew (or slant) anything,
including text.

Cheers!

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Christian Flatscher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to release the FreeFont font sets with reverse italic
> letters as well?
>
> That is have the fonts lean to the left rather than right.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Christian

Re: Reverse Italic fonts?

Steve White-12
Hi Christian,

Try the attached files in Firefox.

(As we discussed offline), there isn't any plan to make a
reverse-skewed style for FreeFont.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans to release the FreeFont font sets with reverse italic
> letters as well?
>
> That is have the fonts lean to the left rather than right.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Christian

skewing.zip (2K) Download Attachment