SKS debian package

123

SKS debian package

Sebastian Urbach-2
Hi,

Just for everyone who depends on a debian sks package. I complained to
the the debian project about Christoph Martin (Main Debian SKS
developer) and im also trying to get him removed from that position as
well.

He wrote to me personally that there will be no new SKS debian package
and that is simply not acceptable for the most common Linux server
Distribution.

He gave me that statement when i asked him regarding the 1.1.2 version
and it seems that nothing has changed since then. Seems to be the case
that we are also not going to see a 1.1.3 package.

Im certainly going to turn up the heat. Stay tuned.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Yours sincerely

Sebastian Urbach

Religion is something left over from the infancy of
our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt
reason and science as our guidelines.

Re: SKS debian package

Kiss Gabor (Bitman)
> Just for everyone who depends on a debian sks package. I complained to
> the the debian project about Christoph Martin (Main Debian SKS
> developer) and im also trying to get him removed from that position as
> well.
>
> He wrote to me personally that there will be no new SKS debian package
> and that is simply not acceptable for the most common Linux server
> Distribution.

I don't understand exactly the situation.

Is Christoph Martin who decided personally not to maintain any more
the sks package? In this case he is right. Debian is fully based
on volunteers work.
Anybody can continue maintanence of sks package.

Or there was a voting or other collective decision about dropping
sks. If this is the case what was the reason? Debian has
very strict policy about copyrighted software. And it also refuses
to distribute software with security risks. Etc...

Anyway any of us may create .deb packages and distribute them.

Regards

Gabor
--
A mug of beer, please. Shaken, not stirred.

Re: SKS debian package

Robert J. Hansen-3
On 04/20/2012 04:32 AM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
> Just for everyone who depends on a debian sks package. I complained to
> the the debian project about Christoph Martin (Main Debian SKS
> developer) and im also trying to get him removed from that position as
> well.

This is unlikely to get the results you want.  The best way to remove
someone from a maintainer position is without fuss and without making a
scene: all other options produce ill-will and forks.

I would suggest instead putting together your own SKS package for
Debian, and seeing if you can get keyserver operators to use it.  Once
you have a 1.1.3 .deb packaged, debugged and with good support from the
community, you'll have much more leverage to push for a change in
maintainership, and there will likely be a lot less drama.

Re: SKS debian package

Jonathan Wiltshire-4
On 2012-04-20 09:32, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just for everyone who depends on a debian sks package. I complained
> the the debian project about Christoph Martin (Main Debian SKS
> developer) and im also trying to get him removed from that position
> as
> well.

Where? I have not seen this complaint.

> He wrote to me personally that there will be no new SKS debian
> package
> and that is simply not acceptable for the most common Linux server
> Distribution.

Again, is this discussion public anywhere?

> He gave me that statement when i asked him regarding the 1.1.2
> version
> and it seems that nothing has changed since then. Seems to be the
> case
> that we are also not going to see a 1.1.3 package.

That remains to be seen. With my Debian Developer's hat on there are
many ways we can resolve this, please don't be aggressive towards the
maintainer until the position is clearer. I will try and find time to
look into this.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      [hidden email]
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

Re: SKS debian package

Sebastian Urbach-2
Am Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:51:32 +0100
schrieb Jonathan Wiltshire <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

> Where? I have not seen this complaint.

Sorry, how could i forget the red tape. Will do so.

> > He wrote to me personally that there will be no new SKS debian
> > package
> > and that is simply not acceptable for the most common Linux server
> > Distribution.
>
> Again, is this discussion public anywhere?

Again with the red tape. I wrote "personally" and what can that
possibly mean ? Hmmmm. But if you need to have it floating around
everywhere im pleased to do so.

> > He gave me that statement when i asked him regarding the 1.1.2
> > version
> > and it seems that nothing has changed since then. Seems to be the
> > case
> > that we are also not going to see a 1.1.3 package.
>
> That remains to be seen. With my Debian Developer's hat on there are
> many ways we can resolve this, please don't be aggressive towards the
> maintainer until the position is clearer. I will try and find time to
> look into this.
"There will be no new version"

Somehow i think it's not going to be much clearer than that. Please
feel free to look into this.

Just if i thought it couldn't get worse. I received this from Fabio di
Nitto (Also listed as "maintainer") for the sks-package.

>Sorry but i haven´t done any work in Debian for years now. It´s very
>unlikely i will ever start again.
>
>Based on the changelog i can see Daniel Kahn Gillmor (in CC) has been
>fixing a bug. Maybe he would like to take it over.

I really dont know what to say anymore.

On 2012-04-20 15:34, Sebastian Urbach wrote:

> Am Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:51:32 +0100
> schrieb Jonathan Wiltshire <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Where? I have not seen this complaint.
>
> Sorry, how could i forget the red tape. Will do so.
>
>> > He wrote to me personally that there will be no new SKS debian
>> > package
>> > and that is simply not acceptable for the most common Linux server
>> > Distribution.
>>
>> Again, is this discussion public anywhere?
>
> Again with the red tape. I wrote "personally" and what can that
> possibly mean ? Hmmmm. But if you need to have it floating around
> everywhere im pleased to do so.

I don't think I understand, I don't see where red tape comes into it.
They are perfectly reasonable questions.
There is no point me commenting on your original email without some
idea of what you've discussed with the maintainer, and there's no need
for the sarcasm either.

>> > He gave me that statement when i asked him regarding the 1.1.2
>> > version
>> > and it seems that nothing has changed since then. Seems to be the
>> > case
>> > that we are also not going to see a 1.1.3 package.
>>
>> That remains to be seen. With my Debian Developer's hat on there are
>> many ways we can resolve this, please don't be aggressive towards
>> the
>> maintainer until the position is clearer. I will try and find time
>> look into this.
>
> "There will be no new version"
>
> Somehow i think it's not going to be much clearer than that. Please
> feel free to look into this.

When I say 'position', I really mean 'situation'. The maintainer is not
in a position to speak for the whole project in this situation, we do
have ways of resolving it.

> Just if i thought it couldn't get worse. I received this from Fabio
> di
> Nitto (Also listed as "maintainer") for the sks-package.
>
>>Sorry but i haven´t done any work in Debian for years now. It´s very
>>unlikely i will ever start again.
>>
>>Based on the changelog i can see Daniel Kahn Gillmor (in CC) has been
>>fixing a bug. Maybe he would like to take it over.
>
> I really dont know what to say anymore.

dkg does have an interest in it, indeed, and he follows this list so
I'm sure he will comment if he feels the need. I also have an interest.

There is no point speculating any further until I've had chance to look
into the situation.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      [hidden email]
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

Re: SKS debian package

Daniel Kahn Gillmor-7
Hi Sebastian (and other folks interested in sks in debian)--

On 04/20/2012 04:32 AM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
> Just for everyone who depends on a debian sks package. I complained to
> the the debian project about Christoph Martin (Main Debian SKS
> developer) and im also trying to get him removed from that position as
> well.

It sounds to me like you're frustrated with the lag in sks packaging for
debian.  That's understandable, i'm frustrated too!

It seems clear that the people currently listed as maintainers for sks
in debian don't have time to focus on it right now, which is sad but
understandable.  People have lives, and sometimes their commitments change.

Getting the debian maintainers "removed" won't resolve your frustration,
though, because the new version of sks still won't be packaged for
debian.  So it seems like the only effect your current approach will
have is to make people more angry and frustrated, and maybe even remove
sks from debian entirely if it has no maintainers at all.

If i knew ocaml better (hint: "at all" would be better than my current
situation), and i was more comfortable with bdb, and i had more spare
time (hint: "any" would be more than my current situation), i would
consider taking the packaging over myself.  But those particular stars
aren't aligned for me right now :(

It sounds to me like the current maintainers have been very honest with
you about their inability to work on it, and would probably be very
happy to see a proposal about a good way to move forward.  Maybe they'd
be up for an offer of co-maintainership?

Perhaps you (Sebastian, or anyone else on this list) would like to take
a stab at updating the current debian packaging to use upstream's 1.1.3,
upload patches to the BTS, or even seek sponsorship for the new package?
 You don't need to be a Debian Developer to maintain packages in debian.
 We welcome everyone!

My friend Asheesh Laroia recommends this particular slide set by Lucas
Nussbaum [0].  They're quite on-topic -- they show you how to take an
existing Debian package and modify it.

If you need help with any of this, the debian-mentors list [1] has
people like him on it that are good resources to ask questions, as does
the #debian-mentors IRC channel on irc.oftc.net.

Hopefully we can find a way to resolve the frustration and get debian's
packaging of SKS back on track!

Regards,

        --dkg

[0] http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=683
[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: SKS debian package

Mike Doty
On 04/20/12 08:44, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> Hi Sebastian (and other folks interested in sks in debian)--
>
> On 04/20/2012 04:32 AM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
>> Just for everyone who depends on a debian sks package. I complained to
>> the the debian project about Christoph Martin (Main Debian SKS
>> developer) and im also trying to get him removed from that position as
>> well.
>
> It sounds to me like you're frustrated with the lag in sks packaging for
> debian.  That's understandable, i'm frustrated too!
>
> It seems clear that the people currently listed as maintainers for sks
> in debian don't have time to focus on it right now, which is sad but
> understandable.  People have lives, and sometimes their commitments change.
>
> Getting the debian maintainers "removed" won't resolve your frustration,
> though, because the new version of sks still won't be packaged for
> debian.  So it seems like the only effect your current approach will
> have is to make people more angry and frustrated, and maybe even remove
> sks from debian entirely if it has no maintainers at all.
>
> If i knew ocaml better (hint: "at all" would be better than my current
> situation), and i was more comfortable with bdb, and i had more spare
> time (hint: "any" would be more than my current situation), i would
> consider taking the packaging over myself.  But those particular stars
> aren't aligned for me right now :(
>
> It sounds to me like the current maintainers have been very honest with
> you about their inability to work on it, and would probably be very
> happy to see a proposal about a good way to move forward.  Maybe they'd
> be up for an offer of co-maintainership?
>
> Perhaps you (Sebastian, or anyone else on this list) would like to take
> a stab at updating the current debian packaging to use upstream's 1.1.3,
> upload patches to the BTS, or even seek sponsorship for the new package?
>  You don't need to be a Debian Developer to maintain packages in debian.
>  We welcome everyone!
>
> My friend Asheesh Laroia recommends this particular slide set by Lucas
> Nussbaum [0].  They're quite on-topic -- they show you how to take an
> existing Debian package and modify it.
>
> If you need help with any of this, the debian-mentors list [1] has
> people like him on it that are good resources to ask questions, as does
> the #debian-mentors IRC channel on irc.oftc.net.
>
> Hopefully we can find a way to resolve the frustration and get debian's
> packaging of SKS back on track!
>
> Regards,
>
> --dkg
>
> [0] http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=683
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

As the Gentoo sks "maintainer", I look at this thread and laugh... I've
seen it so many times from users before.  What dkg has said in this
email is spot on.  The power of open source is that each and every
person has the power to build their systems as they please.  Anyone is
free to make a .deb for sks, and my experience with debian and derived
distros is that people are often searching outside of the distros
repository for .deb packages, so why not build a .deb yourself...

If you're running into issues compiling on modern linux, you should take
a look at the work I did for Gentoo [1] that fixed the bdb stubs.

[1] - http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/net-misc/sks/

--Mike on a laptop so no fancy sigs

SKS Gentoo package (was: Re: SKS debian package)

Kristian Fiskerstrand-7

On 20.04.2012 18:47, Mike Doty wrote:

> On 04/20/12 08:44, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> Hi Sebastian (and other folks interested in sks in debian)--
>>
>> On 04/20/2012 04:32 AM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
>>> Just for everyone who depends on a debian sks package. I
>>> complained to the the debian project about Christoph Martin
>>> (Main Debian SKS developer) and im also trying to get him
>>> removed from that position as well.
>>
>> It sounds to me like you're frustrated with the lag in sks
>> packaging for debian.  That's understandable, i'm frustrated
>> too!
>>

> As the Gentoo sks "maintainer", I look at this thread and laugh...
> I've seen it so many times from users before.  What dkg has said in
> this email is spot on.  The power of open source is that each and
> every person has the power to build their systems as they please.
> Anyone is free to make a .deb for sks, and my experience with
> debian and derived distros is that people are often searching
> outside of the distros repository for .deb packages, so why not
> build a .deb yourself...
>
> If you're running into issues compiling on modern linux, you should
> take a look at the work I did for Gentoo [1] that fixed the bdb
> stubs.
>
> [1] -
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/net-misc/sks/

Hi Mike,

FYI, on my gentoo machine - sks 1.1.2 failed due to  failed build for
 dependency cryptokit;
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m The ebuild environment file is located at
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-ml/cryptokit-1.4/temp/environment'.
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m S:
'/var/tmp/portage/dev-ml/cryptokit-1.4/work/cryptokit-1.4'
(END)
File "/home/gildor/programmation/oasis/src/oasis/OASISMessage.ml",
line 30, characters 8-23:
Unbound value Printf.kfprintf
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m ERROR: dev-ml/cryptokit-1.4 failed (configure phase):
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m   (no error message)
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m Call stack:
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m     ebuild.sh, line  75:  Called src_configure
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m   environment, line 1670:  Called die
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m The specific snippet of code:
 ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m       ./configure --prefix usr --libdir
/usr/$(get_libdir) --destdir "${D}" $(use_enable zlib)
$(oasis_use_enable debug debug) $(oasis_use_enable ocamlopt is_native)
|| die

Feel free to contact me off-list if you need additional debug info.

Regards,
- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
- ----------------------------
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
- ----------------------------
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/

Re: SKS debian package

Robert J. Hansen-3
If we're in need of 1.1.3 packages for Debian and Debian-derived
distros, I might be able to help.  My OCaml is no better than functional
(pardon the pun) and my knowledge of .debs is far from comprehensive,
but I have free time to devote to this.

At present I have zero interest in "taking over" from anyone.  I think
any discussion of that is incredibly premature.  But if we need 1.1.3
.debs, I'll do my best to get some stitched together in the next few days.

Re: SKS Gentoo package

Mike Doty
On 04/20/12 10:06, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:

> On 20.04.2012 18:47, Mike Doty wrote:
>> On 04/20/12 08:44, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>>> Hi Sebastian (and other folks interested in sks in debian)--

>>> It sounds to me like you're frustrated with the lag in sks
>>> packaging for debian.  That's understandable, i'm frustrated
>>> too!
>>>

>> As the Gentoo sks "maintainer", I look at this thread and laugh...
>> I've seen it so many times from users before.  What dkg has said in
>> this email is spot on.  The power of open source is that each and
>> every person has the power to build their systems as they please.
>> Anyone is free to make a .deb for sks, and my experience with
>> debian and derived distros is that people are often searching
>> outside of the distros repository for .deb packages, so why not
>> build a .deb yourself...
>
>> If you're running into issues compiling on modern linux, you should
>> take a look at the work I did for Gentoo [1] that fixed the bdb
>> stubs.
>
>> [1] -
>> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/net-misc/sks/
>

> Hi Mike,
>
> FYI, on my gentoo machine - sks 1.1.2 failed due to  failed build for
>  dependency cryptokit;
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m The ebuild environment file is located at
> '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ml/cryptokit-1.4/temp/environment'.
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m S:
> '/var/tmp/portage/dev-ml/cryptokit-1.4/work/cryptokit-1.4'
> (END)
> File "/home/gildor/programmation/oasis/src/oasis/OASISMessage.ml",
> line 30, characters 8-23:
> Unbound value Printf.kfprintf
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m ERROR: dev-ml/cryptokit-1.4 failed (configure phase):
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m   (no error message)
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m Call stack:
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m     ebuild.sh, line  75:  Called src_configure
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m   environment, line 1670:  Called die
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m The specific snippet of code:
>  ESC[31;01m*ESC[0m       ./configure --prefix usr --libdir
> /usr/$(get_libdir) --destdir "${D}" $(use_enable zlib)
> $(oasis_use_enable debug debug) $(oasis_use_enable ocamlopt is_native)
> || die
>

> Feel free to contact me off-list if you need additional debug info.
>
> Regards,

Yes, I recall cryptokit being a major PITA as I was writing the ebuild
and I think it came down to the version of ocaml used.  Could you file a
bug at https://bugs.gentoo.org and we'll get it sorted?

Thanks,

--Mike

Re: SKS Gentoo package

Kristian Fiskerstrand-7

Re: SKS debian package

Daniel Kahn Gillmor-7
On 04/20/2012 01:17 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> If we're in need of 1.1.3 packages for Debian and Debian-derived
> distros, I might be able to help.  My OCaml is no better than functional
> (pardon the pun) and my knowledge of .debs is far from comprehensive,
> but I have free time to devote to this.
>
> At present I have zero interest in "taking over" from anyone.  I think
> any discussion of that is incredibly premature.  But if we need 1.1.3
> .debs, I'll do my best to get some stitched together in the next few days.

Thanks, Robert! If you get a build that seems right for sks 1.1.3, you
can post patches or a tarball of the updated debian/ directory to
[hidden email] (which will show up at the bug tracking the
request for a new version: http://bugs.debian.org/663757

I suspect the trickiest parts might be thinking about how to get a
smooth upgrade from 1.1.1 and possibly how to deal with a transition to
a newer version of bdb or ocaml.  But i haven't looked into it beyond that.

Regards,

        --dkg

On 4/20/12 2:22 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I suspect the trickiest parts might be thinking about how to get a
> smooth upgrade from 1.1.1 and possibly how to deal with a transition
> to a newer version of bdb or ocaml.  But i haven't looked into it
> beyond that.

Oh, ouch.  Yes, I hadn't thought of this.  But the least I can do is
look into it, and see if a solution is within my skillset.

Re: SKS debian package

H.-Dirk Schmitt
On 20.04.2012 10:32, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
He wrote to me personally that there will be no new SKS debian package
and that is simply not acceptable for the most common Linux server
Distribution.

He gave me that statement when i asked him regarding the 1.1.2 version
and it seems that nothing has changed since then. Seems to be the case
that we are also not going to see a 1.1.3 package.

Currently the sks package in ubuntu (IMHO 1:1 the debian package rebuilded) isn't usable any more.
See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sks/+bug/937931 or my mail to this list (date: 21.02.2012).

Best Regards,

H.-Dirk Schmitt
--
Signature H.-Dirk Schmitt

H.-Dirk Schmitt

Dipl.Math.

eMail:[hidden email]
mobile:+49 177 616 8564
phone: +49 2642 99 41 10
fax: +49 2642 99 41 15
Kripper Str. 35, D-53489 Sinzig

pgp: http://www.computer42.org/~dirk/OpenPGP-fingerprint.html

Re: SKS debian package

Jeffrey Johnson-5

On Apr 20, 2012, at 2:22 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> I suspect the trickiest parts might be thinking about how to get a
> smooth upgrade from 1.1.1 and possibly how to deal with a transition to
> a newer version of bdb or ocaml.  But i haven't looked into it beyond that.

Berkeley DB _ALWAYS_ has backward compatibility in format,
but log format's change nearly every release. Lose the logs
(and __db* files) during upgrade, and the transition should be easy:
        dbXY_checkpoint -1
        dbXY_recover -v
(where XY is the "old" version) before upgrade will save you mucho pain.

(aside from 1st hand experience)
Watch out for db-5.2.19 -> db-5.2.25 however. Someone
at Sunacle had a brain fart that could have been avoided
if anyone had bothered to examine this output:
        http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/libdb.html
before doing a "release".

Credits and disclaimers:
        ISPRAS == Institute of Systems Programming, Russian Academy of Sciences
                basically the people who have put a lot of "muscle" into LSB

Smart guys too: several are my current bosses. ;-)

Short answer:
        This URL is incredibly useful:
                http://upstream-tracker.org/
        and not just for Berkeley DB.

hth

73 de Jeff

Re: SKS debian package

Jeffrey Johnson-5

On Apr 20, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

> (aside from 1st hand experience)
> Watch out for db-5.2.19 -> db-5.2.25 however. Someone

This should have been db-5.1.19 -> db-5.1.25.

73 de Jeff

Re: SKS debian package

John Clizbe-6

Re: SKS debian package