Sample Playback Speed

Brian Sweetnam

My name is Brian, from South Africa. I’ve just subscribed today.  I’m not sure if there is a forum that I am not finding.

My question is: is FS currently capable of regulating the playback speed of any given sample, (faster or slower) without changing the pitch of the sample, whilst playing it back?  If it is, where can I find instrutions about this please?

If it is not currently possible, is there a possibility of implementing such a feature?

I need this feature in order to try to replicate the rhythm section on my old Yamaha Electone organ, which is not going to last much longer.  So I would for example like to select a thythm, and play along to any reasonable tempo, but without changing the pitch of the rhythm as the tempo is either increased or decreased.

Kind Regards,

Brian Sweetnam.

Re: Sample Playback Speed

sqweek E.
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 23:05, Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:

My question is: is FS currently capable of regulating the playback speed of any given sample, (faster or slower) without changing the pitch of the sample, whilst playing it back?  If it is, where can I find instrutions about this please?

I need this feature in order to try to replicate the rhythm section on my old Yamaha Electone organ, which is not going to last much longer.  So I would for example like to select a thythm, and play along to any reasonable tempo, but without changing the pitch of the rhythm as the tempo is either increased or decreased.

Hi Brian, and welcome.

Hopefully someone else will step in to address your query directly, because I'm not sure myself what fluidsynth is capable of in terms of sample manipulation.

However, it strikes me that this is the kind of thing which would be achieved by having the rhythm in some kind of MIDI arrangement. ie. instead of having a single sample which represents four bars or whatever of rhythm, you have a whole bunch of samples representing each drum/instrument and trigger them in sequence. Then changing the tempo is just a matter of adjusting the timing of the triggers and the samples don't need to be changed at all.

I don't know if it's feasible for what you're trying to achieve, but does that make sense?
-sqweek

Re: Sample Playback Speed

Marcus Weseloh
Hi Brian,

Fluidsynth can't do time stretching of samples. And I must admit I have a hard time imagining how a feature like that would fit into Fluidsynths synthesis model...

In my experience, time stretching is heavily dependent on the type of sound you want to stretch. Voice needs different algorithms and/or parameters than percussive sounds, for example. I've played around with rubberband[1] on Linux quite a bit and noticed that the many different parameters you can set make a huge difference, and that that difference heavily depends on the kind of sound I tried to stretch.

Maybe you could stretch your samples with an external tool like rubberband in many different speeds, then create a soundfont that has your samples assigned to different MIDI notes.

But you state that you value the accurate reproduction of your samples. My guess is that as soon as you stretch them, that accuracy goes away. A 4/4 base drum rhythm at 100bpm time stretched to 50bpm will sound quite different than a base drum sample triggered separately at higher speed.

Cheers,
Marcus