Script to delete unwanted files from your repository

Script to delete unwanted files from your repository

Mr. Clif
Greetings,

Like many folks I was happily using rdiff-backup and at some point down
the road I started to run out of space in my backup repository. What to
do? I read the FAQ, and found some other notes on Serverfault.
Eventually I wrote a little script to follow those instructions, which
could only be done by hand for the most simplest of cases.

Well it does seem to work, and has saved me countless tens of Gigabytes
in backup space. Hope others may find it useful. Here is a little page
documenting it:
https://www.eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/Rdiff-backup-delete

     Ciao,
     Clif

Re: Script to delete unwanted files from your repository

Dominic Raferd-3
Thanks for sharing this Clif, it seems a most ingenious and useful tool.
I would still recommend that wherever practicable people regress an
archive to recover disk space (my rdiff-backup-regress utility can help
with this), but if this is not feasible, your script could be a life-saver.

Dominic