Seems to be badly broken?

Chris Hall
Hello,

Today I installed, via ELPA, weblogger.el into my Emacs 23.2.1 running
on Debian Sneezy.  Trying to use with the most current version of
WordPress, 3.5.2 (I think).

First 'customize-group' won't even save user or password, since they
saved as strings (get message 'symbol x value is void').  If I put
quotes in customization field, then they work.

Second, weblogger.el utterly fails to figure out what kind of blog I
have (why can't I simply *tell* it "WordPress"?).

Then, weblogger gets stuck in some sort of recursion: after 190+
attempts, elisp's max-lisp-eval-depth gets exceeded.

And they are calls to "blogger" API, not wp API. (Tried running with
xml-rpc-debug = 10, that how I know this and that it opens 190+ buffers.)

This is in a very minimally customized emacs: in fact
zero-customization, simply barebones "as delivered by Debian".

I was hoping weblogger could save me time, because I simply don't have
the time to do any non-trivial debugging.

Perhaps there is something obvious that I am overlooking?

TIA,

Chris

Here are the messages being displayed in the *Message* buffer 190+ times:

Contacting host: my.server.name:443
Opening TLS connection to `my.server.name'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 443 my.server.name'...done
Opening TLS connection to `my.server.name'...done
Reading [text/xml; charset=UTF-8]... 184 bytes of 175 bytes (105%)
Reading... done.
Opening TLS connection to `my.server.name'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 443 my.server.name'...done
Opening TLS connection to `my.server.name'...done
Reading [text/xml; charset=UTF-8]... 3k of 3k (100%)

Re: Seems to be badly broken?

Mark A. Hershberger
On 07/01/2013 02:31 AM, Chris Hall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today I installed, via ELPA, weblogger.el into my Emacs 23.2.1 running
> on Debian Sneezy.  Trying to use with the most current version of
> WordPress, 3.5.2 (I think).
>
> First 'customize-group' won't even save user or password, since they
> saved as strings (get message 'symbol x value is void').  If I put
> quotes in customization field, then they work.
I'm using Emacs24 from Debian, weblogger 1.4.4 (no idea what ELPA has)
and an up-to-date version of WordPress.

I leave the password fields blank so I can put them in my encrypted
~/.authinfo.gpg file (which Emacs can decrypt).
> Second, weblogger.el utterly fails to figure out what kind of blog I
> have (why can't I simply *tell* it "WordPress"?).

It shouldn't need to know that you have a WordPress blog.  RSD support
needs to be implemented, but it shouldn't need to know what *kind* of
blog you have.
> Then, weblogger gets stuck in some sort of recursion: after 190+
> attempts, elisp's max-lisp-eval-depth gets exceeded.
>
> And they are calls to "blogger" API, not wp API. (Tried running with
> xml-rpc-debug = 10, that how I know this and that it opens 190+ buffers.)
It would be good to get some of your debugging information.  What does
the first debug buffer contain?  (Please remember to remove your
password if you send it.)

--
http://hexmode.com/

Love alone reveals the true shape of the universe.
     -- "Everywhere Present", Stephen Freeman