Service name with whitespace

Robert Ehrenleitner
Hello,

I just tried to give a service a somewhat more legible name containing a whitespace and realised that it is not allowed:

check host "Test Host" host with address 192.168.10.140
   if failed ping then alert

When reloading monit, it says:

/etc/monit.d/test.conf:1: unbalanced quotes '"'
/etc/monit.d/test.conf:1: syntax error 'Host'

Same with single quotes.

How can I insert a whitespace into a service name?

Kind regards,
rexkogitans

Re: Service name with whitespace

Jan-Henrik Haukeland
The service name is used in the URL when looking at a service details page in the web-ui. The name therefor has to consist of URL safe chars. Since we don’t do URL escaping and unescaping between web-ui and internals, space is not allowed in a service name. Using punctuation chars like underscore, hyphen or dot are good choices.

Jan-Henrik

> On 26 Jun 2019, at 15:06, Ron Kelley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> …doesn’t answer your question directly, but I use underscores in place of spaces.  Like this “check host “Test_Host”.
>

>> On Jun 26, 2019, at 8:35 AM, Robert Ehrenleitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just tried to give a service a somewhat more legible name containing a whitespace and realised that it is not allowed:
>>
>> check host "Test Host" host with address 192.168.10.140
>>    if failed ping then alert
>>
>> When reloading monit, it says:
>>
>> /etc/monit.d/test.conf:1: unbalanced quotes '"'
>> /etc/monit.d/test.conf:1: syntax error 'Host'
>>
>> Same with single quotes.
>>
>> How can I insert a whitespace into a service name?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> rexkogitans

Aw: Re: Service name with whitespace

Robert Ehrenleitner
Hello, Jan-Henrik,

not escaping/unescaping URLs is very lazy. Could this be fixed?

Kind regards,
rexkogitans

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2019 um 01:27 Uhr
Von: "Jan-Henrik Haukeland" <[hidden email]>
An: "This is the general mailing list for monit" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: Service name with whitespace
The service name is used in the URL when looking at a service details page in the web-ui. The name therefor has to consist of URL safe chars. Since we don’t do URL escaping and unescaping between web-ui and internals, space is not allowed in a service name. Using punctuation chars like underscore, hyphen or dot are good choices.

Jan-Henrik

> On 26 Jun 2019, at 15:06, Ron Kelley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> …doesn’t answer your question directly, but I use underscores in place of spaces. Like this “check host “Test_Host”.
>

>> On Jun 26, 2019, at 8:35 AM, Robert Ehrenleitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just tried to give a service a somewhat more legible name containing a whitespace and realised that it is not allowed:
>>
>> check host "Test Host" host with address 192.168.10.140
>> if failed ping then alert
>>
>> When reloading monit, it says:
>>
>> /etc/monit.d/test.conf:1: unbalanced quotes '"'
>> /etc/monit.d/test.conf:1: syntax error 'Host'
>>
>> Same with single quotes.
>>
>> How can I insert a whitespace into a service name?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> rexkogitans

Re: Service name with whitespace

Jan-Henrik Haukeland
In general, Monit of course escape URLs and HTML. As I said, it is a special case for the service name, i.e. the name in a check statement, such as in 'check host <name>’ because the name is currently used in the URL in the web-ui. We'll changed this to use a unique numerical service-id instead in the web-ui so one is free to use any characters in a the service name, including space.

Jan-Henrik