Sol1 taking over rdiff-backup

Dave Kempe-2
Gday,
as of today, Sol1 has taken over official maintainership of rdiff-backup. We have done so with the blessing of the original author, Ben Escoto, and from the most recent maintainer(s).
We will be migrating the code to github:
https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup

I have been triaging the bugs at: https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/rdiff-backup/ and will migrate the postponed bugs to githubs bug tracker over the next few days.
We intend to migrate to the wiki and bugtracker on github in the near future.

The aim is to modernise development of rdiff-backup, and port it to python3 and librsync2. Wes will probably be doing most of the work, however we happily welcome contributions from the community.

Sol1 has been using and assisting with development of rdiff-backup for over 12 years, and its time we stepped up and committed commercial resources to it. This is in part self-preservation, we would like to protect our investment, and in part giving back to the community. We feel this strikes the right balance, and of course we will continue to honour the open source license and nature of rdiff-backup. We have no plans to change the license or do any else than maintain and modernise it.

We will need community support in testing the new releases we are planning, as there will be significant changes with python3 and librsync2 that will need testing.

More to come as we work out the next steps.

thanks

David Kempe

Re: Sol1 taking over rdiff-backup

David-2
Thanks Dave,

It is great to see this happening :)

Dawid

Re: Sol1 taking over rdiff-backup

rhkramer
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 02:40:34 AM you wrote:
> Great news, thank you for taking on this responsibility.

+1

Re: Sol1 taking over rdiff-backup

Greg Troxel

What's the motivation for leaving FSF hosting and moving to corporate
hosting?

Re: Sol1 taking over rdiff-backup

Adrian Klaver-2
On 02/14/2016 10:18 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> What's the motivation for leaving FSF hosting and moving to corporate
> hosting?

To put it where someone will actually work on it?

--
Adrian Klaver

From: "Greg Troxel" <[hidden email]>

Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Sol1 taking over rdiff-backup
What's the motivation for leaving FSF hosting and moving to corporate
hosting?

Better tools mainly. There seemed to be a consensus amongst the previous maintainers.

thanks

Dave