Sorry for polluting the list - To make amends, here's a few tips & tricks

Sorry for polluting the list - To make amends, here's a few tips & tricks

Øyvind Skaar-3

Hi All

Sorry for polluting the list. Lesson learned: Do not hack together your
own auto-reply in the mail-client :( .

In an effort to make amends, here's a few random tips and tricks.
Nothing earth-shattering, but hopefully someone, somewhere, at some
point, will find it helpful.

Generally, rdiff-backup works well and does not require a lot of
intervention. The biggest problem ATM is the we restore seldom, so an
error can go unnoticed for a long time unless we catch it. The error
messages are often horrible.

Rdiff-backup is very flexible and kind of low-level, which is a good
thing. But it also mean it's not very useful without some additional
scripting.

- As a bare minimum, check to see if rdiff-backup generated a
   statistics file for the run.
   There should be a "rdiff-backup-data/session_statistics.*.data" file.
   The data in it should make sense =)

- SSH's "ServerAliveInterval" helps long-running ssh connections
   stay alive:

     echo -e "ServerAliveInterval 5\n" >> ~/.ssh/config
     chmod 600  ~/.ssh/config

- Use a ssh key with rsync-backup like this:
   --remote-schema "ssh -i /path/to/key -C %s "

- Use "--terminal-verbosity" :
   Sometimes manual rdiff-backup operations takes a long time. It's nice
   to get some feedback on what's going on.
   "--terminal-verbosity 6" seems lik a good tradeoff.

- "--test-server" doesn't always work.
   Mostly use "--list-increments" to test the repository.

- Diff can help you compare folders as well:
   diff -rq --exclude=".*" /home/os/ /tmp/restored_files/

Øyvind Skaar
Systemkonsulent, Opoint AS
Akersgata 28A, 0158 Oslo
Epost: [hidden email] - Mobil (+47) 48278480

Re: Sorry for polluting the list - To make amends, here's a few tips & tricks

Marcus Schopen
Hi,

I use the nagios plugin check_rdiff to check my daily rdiff-backups:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Backup-and-Recovery/check_rdiff/details

Ciao
Marcus

--
   It seems like once people grow up, they have no idea what's cool.
                  -- Calvin