Startup Error.

enigma-devel mailing list

Good day!

Recently I found your game and ran into a problem. It similar to another which already described in FAQ:

Enigma doesn't start, it gives an error message of the kind “mismatch of state.xml and enigma.score”.

But I don't have file named state.xml. Also game is started and I can play levels, but progress isn't saved. Before exit from game it gives out 2 screens with paths and to the next enter in the game settings and progress of walkthrough are dumped.

How to solve a this problem?
You still need to send the two files described in FAQ?

P.S: I hope you haven't abandoned supporting the game, because I saw last news in 2014... I hope you will answer me.
P.S.S: You are cool! Game is magnificent! And I'm sorry for my English. I tried to convey a thought. :)

Good luck!

Yours sincerely,
Ivan Polyakov

Re: Startup Error.

enigma-devel mailing list
Hi Ivan,

thanks for the praise :-)

The error concerning state.xml and enigma.score nowadays only appears
when you mingle with these files, which obviously hasn't happened. So
it's a completely different kind of error.

Please tell me: Which operating system are you using? Windows? Which
version of it?

Which version of Enigma are you using? (The version number appears in
the lower left on the start screen. The newest version is 1.21.)

Can you make a screenshot of these 2 screens with paths you see when
exiting the game?

Right now, if I might speculate: Something might stop Enigma from
writing a state.xml and enigma.score in the first place. On Windows,
they are well hidden, so let's not jump to conclusions; maybe they are
there, and you just haven't found them. But your description about
losing progress somewhat sounds like Enigma can't write the files it
wants to write, maybe due to missing permissions on the file system. If
this is the problem, you can solve it by entering the "Options" menu,
submenue "Paths", and entering two paths you know you can write onto.
However, before trying this, please try to create a screenshot and send
it to my email address (not to the whole enigma-devel-list), so I get a
better picture about what is happening.

Best regards,
Andreas

Am 07.08.19 um 12:04 schrieb Ivan Polyakov via Enigma-devel:

> Good day!
>
> Recently I found your game and ran into a problem. It similar to another
> which already described in FAQ:
>

>         Enigma doesn't start, it gives an error message of the kind
>         “mismatch of state.xml and enigma.score”.
>
> But I don't have file named state.xml. Also game is started and I can
> play levels, but progress isn't saved. Before exit from game it gives
> out 2 screens with paths and to the next enter in the game settings and
> progress of walkthrough are dumped.
>
> How to solve a this problem?
> You still need to send the two files described in FAQ?
>
> P.S: I hope you haven't abandoned supporting the game, because I saw
> last news in 2014... I hope you will answer me.
> P.S.S: You are cool! Game is magnificent! And I'm sorry for my English.
> I tried to convey a thought. :)
>
> Good luck!
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Ivan Polyakov

Re: Startup Error.

enigma-devel mailing list

Hi all,

from the screenshots Ivan showed me, it is clear that Enigma succeeds in
writing enigma.score, but fails to write state.xml and enigmarc. Ivan
uses a Cyrillic letter in his Windows username, which might be the cause
for his problems. I set up a Windows account on my own desktop with a
Cyrillic username, and Enigma won't start at all (only once, directly
after installation; no error message).

Does anyone of you have experiences with using Enigma on Windows 10 with
a Cyrillic username?

@Ivan: A possible solution might be to set up a user account, just for
Enigma, with Latin letters for the username. Not a very good solution,
rather a first aid. As you see above, I could not reproduce your error
message exactly, but my experiment hinds at the problem. If this
actually is the problem, I will not be able to offer you a better
solution until maybe Enigma 1.3 ... sorry.

Best,