Status of rdiff-backup and backup to to CIFS mounted share on Linux

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Status of rdiff-backup and backup to to CIFS mounted share on Linux

Adam Tworkowski-2
Hi,

I have been combing the list archives for references but haven't found
anything concrete (at least that which is current) so I am hoping
someone would be kind enough to add some light to this matter.

Is it feasible to use rdiff-backup to backup remote Linux boxes to a
CIFS mount share on a Linux box?  I seem to be able to use 'cp -a' local
and retain ownerships and permissions.  rsync keeps permissions but
looses ownership.  rdiff-backup complains, even doing a attempting to
back up a local directory to the share.  It goes as far as to create
rdiff-backup-data and drop some rdiff-backup files.

Is this a feasible object?  If the answer is something like "yes, in
theory", I can certainly provide the rdiff-backup errors.

Thanks in advance,

Adam






_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of rdiff-backup and backup to to CIFS mounted share on Linux

Dave Kempe
Adam Tworkowski wrote:
> Is this a feasible object?  If the answer is something like "yes, in
> theory", I can certainly provide the rdiff-backup errors.

the next version might do it.
can you check out a copy from cvs and see if that works?

dave


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of rdiff-backup and backup to to CIFS mounted share on Linux

Ben Escoto
In reply to this post by Adam Tworkowski-2
>>>>> Adam Tworkowski <[hidden email]>

>>>>> wrote the following on Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:28:11 -0400
>
> Is it feasible to use rdiff-backup to backup remote Linux boxes to a
> CIFS mount share on a Linux box?  I seem to be able to use 'cp -a'
> local and retain ownerships and permissions.  rsync keeps
> permissions but looses ownership.  rdiff-backup complains, even
> doing a attempting to back up a local directory to the share.  It
> goes as far as to create rdiff-backup-data and drop some
> rdiff-backup files.
>
> Is this a feasible object?  If the answer is something like "yes, in
> theory", I can certainly provide the rdiff-backup errors.
Sure, rdiff-backup (especially 0.13.x and later) is supposed to work
well on weird file systems, so just run it with verbosity 5 or higher
(-v5) and post the errors.


--
Ben Escoto

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of rdiff-backup and backup to to CIFS mounted share on Linux

Adam Tworkowski-2
Hi Ben et al,

I am using rdiff-backup-1.1 on SuSE9.3 Pro/ext3.  Backing up to
NTFS/win2k3 via CIFS. I am not using pyxattr or pyxattr.  The source dir
is local.

Thanks in advance.

stealth3:/mnt/stage01/backups/test # rdiff-backup
-v9 /home/atworkowski/tmp/ /mnt/stage01/backups/test/
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005  Unable to import module xattr.
Extended attributes not supported on filesystem at /home/atworkowski/tmp
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005  Unable to import module posix1e from pylibacl
package.
ACLs not supported on filesystem at /home/atworkowski/tmp
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
  Access control lists                         Off
  Extended attributes                          Off
  Case sensitivity                             On
  Mac OS X style resource forks                Off
  Mac OS X Finder information                  Off
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005  Making
directory /mnt/stage01/backups/test/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.9
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005
Touching /mnt/stage01/backups/test/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.9/5-_ a.
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005
Deleting /mnt/stage01/backups/test/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.9/5-_ a.
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005
Touching /mnt/stage01/backups/test/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.9/:\\uffff
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005
Touching /mnt/stage01/backups/test/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.9/A
Tue Oct 25 10:23:27 2005
Deleting /mnt/stage01/backups/test/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.9/a
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
    rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
293, in Main
    take_action(rps)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
263, in take_action
    elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1])
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
304, in Backup
    rpout.conn.fs_abilities.backup_set_globals(rpin)
  File
"/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line
603, in backup_set_globals
    dest_fsa = FSAbilities('destination').init_readwrite(Globals.rbdir)
  File
"/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line
138, in init_readwrite
    self.set_case_sensitive_readwrite(subdir)
  File
"/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line
239, in set_case_sensitive_readwrite
    assert not upper_a.lstat()
AssertionError


On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 23:16 -0500, Ben Escoto wrote:

> >>>>> Adam Tworkowski <[hidden email]>
> >>>>> wrote the following on Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:28:11 -0400
> >
> > Is it feasible to use rdiff-backup to backup remote Linux boxes to a
> > CIFS mount share on a Linux box?  I seem to be able to use 'cp -a'
> > local and retain ownerships and permissions.  rsync keeps
> > permissions but looses ownership.  rdiff-backup complains, even
> > doing a attempting to back up a local directory to the share.  It
> > goes as far as to create rdiff-backup-data and drop some
> > rdiff-backup files.
> >
> > Is this a feasible object?  If the answer is something like "yes, in
> > theory", I can certainly provide the rdiff-backup errors.
>
> Sure, rdiff-backup (especially 0.13.x and later) is supposed to work
> well on weird file systems, so just run it with verbosity 5 or higher
> (-v5) and post the errors.
>





_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of rdiff-backup and backup to to CIFS mounted share on Linux

Ben Escoto
>>>>> Adam Tworkowski <[hidden email]>
>>>>> wrote the following on Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:30:24 -0400
>
> I am using rdiff-backup-1.1 on SuSE9.3 Pro/ext3.  Backing up to
> NTFS/win2k3 via CIFS. I am not using pyxattr or pyxattr.  The source dir
> is local.

rdiff-backup is getting confused trying to see if your CIFS is
case-sensitive.  Try this in an empty CIFS directory:

cat /dev/null > A
stat A
stat a
rm a
ls
stat A

and tell me what it says.


--
Ben Escoto

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of rdiff-backup and backup to to CIFS mounted share on Linux

Adam Tworkowski-2
Hi Ben,

The results are not consistent between case sensitive and case
insensitive.  I have repeated over a dozen times.  At one point it was
returning case sensitive results 5-6 times in a row.  I deleted the test
directory, recreated and again have the results as below:

stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # cat /dev/null > A
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # stat A
  File: `A'
  Size: 0               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 16384  regular
empty file
Device: fh/15d  Inode: 51605495    Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2005-10-25 13:17:55.015625000 -0400
Modify: 2005-10-25 13:17:55.015625000 -0400
Change: 2005-10-25 13:17:55.015625000 -0400
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # stat a
  File: `a'
  Size: 0               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 16384  regular
empty file
Device: fh/15d  Inode: 51605510    Links: 1
Access: (3767/-rwxrwSrwt)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2005-10-25 13:17:55.015625000 -0400
Modify: 2005-10-25 13:17:55.015625000 -0400
Change: 2005-10-25 13:17:55.015625000 -0400
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # rm a
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # ls
.  ..
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # stat A
stat: cannot stat `A': No such file or directory
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # cat /dev/null > A
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # stat A
  File: `A'
  Size: 0               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 16384  regular
empty file
Device: fh/15d  Inode: 51605662    Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2005-10-25 13:18:20.406250000 -0400
Modify: 2005-10-25 13:18:20.406250000 -0400
Change: 2005-10-25 13:18:20.406250000 -0400
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # stat a
stat: cannot stat `a': No such file or directory
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # rm a
rm: cannot remove `a': No such file or directory
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # ls
.  ..  A
stealth3:/mnt/stage01/temp # stat A
  File: `A'
  Size: 0               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 16384  regular
empty file
Device: fh/15d  Inode: 51605662    Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2005-10-25 13:18:20.406250000 -0400
Modify: 2005-10-25 13:18:20.406250000 -0400
Change: 2005-10-25 13:18:20.406250000 -0400


On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 11:40 -0500, Ben Escoto wrote:

> >>>>> Adam Tworkowski <[hidden email]>
> >>>>> wrote the following on Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:30:24 -0400
> >
> > I am using rdiff-backup-1.1 on SuSE9.3 Pro/ext3.  Backing up to
> > NTFS/win2k3 via CIFS. I am not using pyxattr or pyxattr.  The source dir
> > is local.
>
> rdiff-backup is getting confused trying to see if your CIFS is
> case-sensitive.  Try this in an empty CIFS directory:
>
> cat /dev/null > A
> stat A
> stat a
> rm a
> ls
> stat A
>
> and tell me what it says.
>
>
--
Regards,

Adam Tworkowski, [hidden email]
Systems Administrator, Computer Department
Masterfile Corporation, www.masterfile.com
 

This e-mail message is privileged, confidential and subject to
copyright. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.





_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Status of rdiff-backup and backup to to CIFS mounted share on Linux

Ben Escoto
>>>>> Adam Tworkowski <[hidden email]>
>>>>> wrote the following on Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:36:16 -0400
>
> The results are not consistent between case sensitive and case
> insensitive.  I have repeated over a dozen times.  At one point it was
> returning case sensitive results 5-6 times in a row.

Weird, so is this a CIFS bug or what?  Can there possibly be some
reason to have a file system that is only intermittently
case-sensitive?

There's a good chance your backup will work if you simply comment out
that assert line that was giving you an exception, but unless I'm
missing something the fault is with a huge bug in CIFS (or at least
the implementation of it on your system).


--
Ben Escoto

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment