Strange behavior with MIDI playback

Carlo Bramini
Hello,
let's think to have initialized everything with FluidSynth for playing a MIDI file as described in the documentation. After a call to:

fluid_player_add(player, filename);

and then:

fluid_player_play(player);

and the MIDI playback runs as expected with the note of the MIDI file played nicely.
Then, after some seconds of playback, I call:

fluid_player_stop(player);

and the playback stops as expected.
Now, if I call again fluid_player_play(), the playback starts again from the beginning, but without emitting any sound. When the playback reaches the exact point where the fluid_player_stop() was called, the notes are played again.
It looks like that the notes played previously and before the call to fluid_player_stop() are lost for some unknown (for the moment) reason. This seems not correct to me.

Is it known this behavior?

Sincerely.

Re: Strange behavior with MIDI playback

Tom M.
This is new to me.

> Now, if I call again fluid_player_play(), the playback starts again from the beginning, but without emitting any sound.

I dont think playback should start from the beginning. It should directly start from where it has been stopped. Could you give 1.1.11 a try?

Tom

Re: Strange behavior with MIDI playback

Carlo Bramini
Hello,

> Il 13 gennaio 2019 alle 16.34 "Tom M." <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> This is new to me.
>
> > Now, if I call again fluid_player_play(), the playback starts again from the beginning, but without emitting any sound.
>
> I dont think playback should start from the beginning. It should directly start from where it has been stopped. Could you give 1.1.11 a try?

I tried with genuine 1.1.11, with GLIB and all other required libraries, and yes, it does the same thing. I'm using Windows, but I don't think that it is related to it. So, from what you are telling me, the right name of the function and its purpose should not be STOP but PAUSE, right?

Sincerely.

Re: Strange behavior with MIDI playback

Tom M.
> So, from what you are telling me, the right name of the function and its purpose should not be STOP but PAUSE, right?

Yes, I think so. It's not properly documented unfortunately and I don't know it's original purpose. However, internally, we have fluid_player_reset() that reset the ticks of each track, which seems to be more like a STOP function to me.

I'm not very familiar with the player though. You could give 1.1.6 a try. Otherwise it would be kind if you open a bug ticket and I'll look into it on occasion.

Tom