Strange "No space left on device"

David Croll

Dear rdiff-backup people,

Yesterday, a backup failed repeatedly. Error Number 28 - No space left
on device. The backup stopped with a specific file, a Firefox cache file
with a size of 0 bytes.

But neither on the source nor on the destination drive, the space
actually ran out. The backup drive (a 4 TB Seagate drive with ext4), had
75% free sectors and about 97% free inodes. The source drive uses ext4, too.

As I have, out of impatience, deleted all increments to use my backup
drive again, I cannot investigate further.

Does anybody have an idea how this could happen?

David

Re: Strange "No space left on device"

Dominic Raferd-3
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 at 10:28, David Croll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear rdiff-backup people,
>

> Yesterday, a backup failed repeatedly. Error Number 28 - No space left
> on device. The backup stopped with a specific file, a Firefox cache file
> with a size of 0 bytes.
>
> But neither on the source nor on the destination drive, the space
> actually ran out. The backup drive (a 4 TB Seagate drive with ext4), had
> 75% free sectors and about 97% free inodes. The source drive uses ext4,
> too.
>
> As I have, out of impatience, deleted all increments to use my backup
> drive again, I cannot investigate further.
>

> Does anybody have an idea how this could happen?

I think it is likely that it ran out of tmp space. See
https://askubuntu.com/questions/9951/rdiff-backup-and-running-out-of-disk-space-something-weirds-going-on.
Google is your friend...