StumpWM in 13.10

David Bjergaard
Hi all,

I've been happily using StumpWM in ubuntu 12.04 for two years now. I've
been a StumpWM user for longer than that, and I don't want to give it
up, however ubuntu dropped unity2D in 12.10 and with the upcoming
release of 14.04 lts, I want to upgrade.  Has anyone been using stumpwm
in versions of ubuntu newer than 12.04? If so, could you share your
configuration to get it working?  I was going to follow xmonad's
approach outlined in [1], but I've had bad luck with that route in the
past.  Right now I'm launching stumpwm via an Xsession and launching all
of my required services from .stumpwmrc.  The unity-2d panel works fine
in this configuration, but I don't know how to start the unity panel in
13.10.

Cheers,

    Dave

Re: StumpWM in 13.10

J David Smith
Hi David,

If you haven't found a solution yet, look here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/46788/is-it-possible-to-restart-the-unity-panel-without-restarting-compiz. The question is from 2011, but was linked to from a 2013 question here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/371915/how-to-restart-unity-panel-service so it seems to still be relevant.

In distilled form:

Run `/usr/lib/unity/unity-panel-service` to start the unity panel (not the unity2d one, which as you mentioned has been dropped). I unfortunately don't have an ubuntu installation to test this on right now, so I can't confirm that it works.

 -- David

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:57 AM, David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you! I wouldn't have thought to try searching for how to restart
the service rather than starting it directly.  I'll try this when I get
home and report my results (especially since ubuntu is such a popular
distribution).

Cheers,

    Dave