Sum infinite series

Tim Daly
In the src/input directory there are test cases which show various
sum expressions, including infinite series,

limit(sum(1/k^2 + 1/k^3, k=1..n), n=%plusInfinity)

Tim

Re: Sum infinite series

Tim Daly
I'm not sure I understand your comment about biographies. The only mention
of biographies is from the source code of the original Jenks book. The book
was written by quite a few people, although only 2 people's names are on the
cover. Buy a copy of the original book and you'll see them. I'm not sure why
you feel that giving the authors credit for their work is "egotistical". Books
universally mention their authors.

If you're making reference to the obituaries, they are people who spent
a large portion of their life making Axiom exist. Two pages in a PDF seems
a small price to pay to acknowledge them.

The table of contents uses hyperlinks so you can avoid them if you wish.

Axiom's current algorithms don't solve your problem, it seems. However,
Axiom is open source. You understand your problem. Please write an
algorithm to solve it and contribute it to Axiom. We welcome such contributions.

In fact, writing a new or updated algorithm will add your name to the contributors.
We are extremely careful to give credit to people who help.

Tim

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 11:54 AM, My Name <[hidden email]> wrote:
P.S.

Axiom wants me to read the biographies of its developers: The developers' biographies are the centerpiece of the documentation. Stephen Wolfram has earned his reputation of being egotistical, but at least his product sums infinite series. With with Axiom docs, I get the developers' egos but nothing more.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 7:28 AM Tim Daly <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the src/input directory there are test cases which show various
sum expressions, including infinite series,

limit(sum(1/k^2 + 1/k^3, k=1..n), n=%plusInfinity)

Tim

Re: Sum infinite series

Ralf Hemmecke-4
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 11:54 AM, My Name <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> P.S.
>>
>> Axiom wants me to read the biographies of its developers: The developers'
>> biographies are the centerpiece of the documentation. Stephen Wolfram has
>> earned his reputation of being egotistical, but at least his product sums
>> infinite series. With with Axiom docs, I get the developers' egos but
>> nothing more.

Interesting, you want some CAS to solve your problem
(btw, you have not even clearly stated what you wanted to get as a
result), but you seem to believe that you get your solution for free.
For Mathematica you have to pay money for it. For open source CAS, you
don't have to pay money, but it would make sense to pay at least some
respect to the authors and their work.

If you can implement all those algorithms yourself, why don't you write
your own CAS and opensource it for other people to use? Then wait until
someone comes and says, "your CAS cannot do X and the documentation only
mentions your name and a long biography". You'll probably like that. ;-)

I don't think that people keep willing to help you.

Good luck. I'm waiting for your CAS to arrive.

Ralf