Survey

Patrik Dufresne-2
Hello,

I'm running a survey about backup software to learn more about what people
are using to do their backup and why they are using it. I invite individual
and business to answer the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HKKDG2J

Thanks for your help

--
Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com <http://patrikdufresne.com/>/

Re: Survey

Ciprian Dorin Craciun
On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 5:06 PM Patrik Dufresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm running a survey about backup software to learn more about what people
> are using to do their backup and why they are using it. I invite individual
> and business to answer the survey.
>
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HKKDG2J

Will you make public your findings?

Ciprian.

Re: Survey

Ciprian Dorin Craciun
On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 5:06 PM Patrik Dufresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm running a survey about backup software to learn more about what people
> are using to do their backup and why they are using it. I invite individual
> and business to answer the survey.
>
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HKKDG2J

Regarding your survey, I would have a few observations:

* (1) in the first question, you could have provided a few more
options (including `rdiff-backup`) since you're sending this email to
its mailing list;

* (3) in the third question about "what you are looking for in backup
software", some items don't actually make sense for a "backup
software" and seem to pertain more to a "backup cloud provider";  for
example "high availability" or "low cost per GB" or "end-to-end
encryption";

* (3) still with the third question, the "secure" option is too
vague...  do you mean "secure" as in "privacy", "secure" as in
"redundancy", or as in "integrity"?

* (7) the operating system selection, should allow one to choose more items;

* I think you are missing a few important items, like:
** what does one "backup"?  is it a file-system, is it a "raw"
block-device, or is it a "dump" file or something similar;
** does one implement "incremental backups", or all individual backups
are "full";
** does one implement "backup rotation";
** where does one store "offsite backups"?  is it S3 (or something
similar), is it a "backup provider", or something else?
** does one use (or wants to use) write-only media?  (although these
days even a BlueRay disk is quiet small compared to current data
sizes, it might be an interesting option;)
** does one automate these backups?  (or are they executed manually?)
** how often does one try to recover from the backups?  (to make sure
they are "usable");

(These are just a few questions I had, when I decided to use `rdiff-backup`.)

(I've submitted your survey, however I find the questions somewhat
unsuitable for obtaining some actual insights.)
(Also as the previous email asks, I hope you'll make your findings public.)

Ciprian.

Re: Survey

Dale Qualls
First of all, I'm  not trying to offend the OP so I apologize if this comes across as offensive or accusatory.

I'd caution anyone on providing any details about your systems, operations, backup systems or any of your technology to someone that you are not familiar with.  This information could be used nefariously.

[http://images.pattishall.com/images/pattishalllogo.jpg]

Dale E. Qualls
Director of Information Technology
Pattishall, McAuliffe, Newbury, Hilliard & Geraldson LLP
200 South Wacker Drive, Suite 2900
Chicago, IL 60606-5896
Direct: (312) 554-7979 Main: (312) 554-8000 Fax: (312) 554-8015
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> www.pattishall.com<http://www.pattishall.com> Follow us on Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/Pattishall>

[http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [http://images.pattishall.com/images/blf-badge.jpg]     [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  Pattishall Ranks GOLD in the United States and in Illinois in the prestigious
WTR 1000        [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [http://images.pattishall.com/images/2014chambers-65.jpg]       [http://images.pattishall.com/images/25pixelimage.gif]  [http://images.pattishall.com/images/2013gototop500.jpg]

________________________________
The preceding message and any attachments may contain confidential information protected by the attorney-client or other privilege. You may not forward this message or any attachments without the permission of the sender. If you believe that it has been sent to you in error, please reply to the sender that you received the message in error and then delete it. Nothing in this email message, including the typed name of the sender and/or this signature block, is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in the message.
________________________________

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 10:14 PM Dale E. Qualls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd caution anyone on providing any details about your systems, operations, backup systems or any of your technology to someone that you are not familiar with.  This information could be used nefariously.

Good point!

However if the answers are anonymous (and I hope SurveyMonkey doesn't
leak any personal information linked to the answers), and "generic"
enough, plus given that many don't actually backup and "highly
sensitive" information (which if they do, hopefully it is encrypted),
and usually many aren't "high value" targets, I would say that these
questions are benign.

Although as Dale said, one shouldn't give too specific information,
and they shouldn't do so for "mission critical" use-cases.  (I filled
in the survey based on my personal backup behaviour.)

Ciprian.

Re: Survey

Yves Bellefeuille
Ciprian Dorin Craciun <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  * (1) in the first question, you could have provided a few more
>  options (including `rdiff-backup`) since you're sending this email to
>  its mailing list;

That surprised me too. ;-)

I generally agree with all your comments, but I understood "low cost
per GB" to include the cost of software, if it's commercial, and also
the cost of the hardware necessary, if applicable.

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<[hidden email]>

Re: Survey

Patrik Dufresne-2
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it. You must
understand that Survey Monkey limit me to only 10 questions and the longer
the survey is, the less it receives answers. That is why I tried to be
concise when writing the questions and answers, but I clearly miss some
opportunities to learn more.
@Ciprian Dorin, Next time, I will run my survey by you first !

I do plan to publish the results if it received enough answers.
Any recommendation where I should post it ?

FWI I've added rdiff-backup to the list of software. ;)

--

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 8:13 PM Yves Bellefeuille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ciprian Dorin Craciun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >  * (1) in the first question, you could have provided a few more
> >  options (including `rdiff-backup`) since you're sending this email to
> >  its mailing list;
>
> That surprised me too. ;-)
>
> I generally agree with all your comments, but I understood "low cost
> per GB" to include the cost of software, if it's commercial, and also
> the cost of the hardware necessary, if applicable.
>
> --
> Yves Bellefeuille
> <[hidden email]>

Re: Survey

Ciprian Dorin Craciun
On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 3:20 PM Patrik Dufresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> @Ciprian Dorin, Next time, I will run my survey by you first !

I will gladly help, although I'm not quite an "expert" in backup
solutions.  However I can give you my "home user" / "small business
infrastructure operator" perspective.

> I do plan to publish the results if it received enough answers.
> Any recommendation where I should post it ?

I guess you'll create a blog post (if you have one), and just paste
the link as a reply here.

Alternatively (if you don't have a blog), you could send a reply with
your conclusions to this thread (and other threads you might have
spawned on other mailing lists).

Ciprian.

Re: Survey

Yves Bellefeuille
Patrik Dufresne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You must understand that Survey Monkey limit me to only 10 questions
> and the longer the survey is, the less it receives answers.

Survey Monkey has the considerable disadvantage that respondents can't
skip questions. The more questions there are, the more I'm likely to
want to skip a question, and then I just give up.

(At least I've never been able to skip a question in any Survey Monkey
questionnaire I've ever seen.)

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<[hidden email]>