Syntax error

Bryan Harris
Hi folks,

I'm doing some testing with latest version of Monit built on Slackware 14.2 and noticed a funny syntax error.  When I use the filesystem check, the GID gives me the below error.  The group disk does exist on my system and the filesystem device is that group.  If I comment it out everything works.  Caps or no caps does not make any difference.

  check filesystem rootfs with path /dev/0/0
    if failed permission 660 then unmonitor
    if failed uid root then unmonitor
    # if failed gid disk then unmonitor
    IF FAILED GID disk THEN unmonitor
    if space usage > 80% for 5 times within 15 cycles then alert
    if space usage > 99% then stop
    if inode usage > 30000 then alert
    if inode usage > 99% then stop
    if read rate > 1 MB/s for 5 cycles then alert
    if read rate > 500 operations/s for 5 cycles then alert
    if write rate > 1 MB/s for 5 cycles then alert
    if write rate > 500 operations/s for 5 cycles then alert
    if service time > 10 milliseconds for 3 times within 5 cycles then alert
    group server

[root@bryanslack:/root]
$ monit -t
/etc/monitrc:236: syntax error 'disk'

[root@bryanslack:/root]
$ getent group disk
disk:x:6:root,adm

V/r,
Bryan

Re: Syntax error

martinp@tildeslash.com
Hi,

"disk" is reserved word, so you need to quote it if you want to use it as string:

        if failed gid "disk" then unmonitor

Best regards,
Martin

> On 28 Apr 2017, at 13:40, Bryan Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm doing some testing with latest version of Monit built on Slackware 14.2 and noticed a funny syntax error.  When I use the filesystem check, the GID gives me the below error.  The group disk does exist on my system and the filesystem device is that group.  If I comment it out everything works.  Caps or no caps does not make any difference.
>
>   check filesystem rootfs with path /dev/0/0
>     if failed permission 660 then unmonitor
>     if failed uid root then unmonitor
>     # if failed gid disk then unmonitor
>     IF FAILED GID disk THEN unmonitor
>     if space usage > 80% for 5 times within 15 cycles then alert
>     if space usage > 99% then stop
>     if inode usage > 30000 then alert
>     if inode usage > 99% then stop
>     if read rate > 1 MB/s for 5 cycles then alert
>     if read rate > 500 operations/s for 5 cycles then alert
>     if write rate > 1 MB/s for 5 cycles then alert
>     if write rate > 500 operations/s for 5 cycles then alert
>     if service time > 10 milliseconds for 3 times within 5 cycles then alert
>     group server
>
> [root@bryanslack:/root]
> $ monit -t
> /etc/monitrc:236: syntax error 'disk'
>
> [root@bryanslack:/root]
> $ getent group disk
> disk:x:6:root,adm
>

> V/r,
> Bryan

Re: Syntax error

Bryan Harris
Thanks Martin.  I tried to follow Monit project directions to create a pull request and I put it at the link below.  Hopefully I followed the instructions correctly.

Thanks again.

V/r,
Bryan

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Martin Pala <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

"disk" is reserved word, so you need to quote it if you want to use it as string:

        if failed gid "disk" then unmonitor

Best regards,
Martin

> On 28 Apr 2017, at 13:40, Bryan Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm doing some testing with latest version of Monit built on Slackware 14.2 and noticed a funny syntax error.  When I use the filesystem check, the GID gives me the below error.  The group disk does exist on my system and the filesystem device is that group.  If I comment it out everything works.  Caps or no caps does not make any difference.
>
>   check filesystem rootfs with path /dev/0/0
>     if failed permission 660 then unmonitor
>     if failed uid root then unmonitor
>     # if failed gid disk then unmonitor
>     IF FAILED GID disk THEN unmonitor
>     if space usage > 80% for 5 times within 15 cycles then alert
>     if space usage > 99% then stop
>     if inode usage > 30000 then alert
>     if inode usage > 99% then stop
>     if read rate > 1 MB/s for 5 cycles then alert
>     if read rate > 500 operations/s for 5 cycles then alert
>     if write rate > 1 MB/s for 5 cycles then alert
>     if write rate > 500 operations/s for 5 cycles then alert
>     if service time > 10 milliseconds for 3 times within 5 cycles then alert
>     group server
>
> [root@bryanslack:/root]
> $ monit -t
> /etc/monitrc:236: syntax error 'disk'
>
> [root@bryanslack:/root]
> $ getent group disk
> disk:x:6:root,adm
>

> V/r,
> Bryan

Re: Syntax error

martinp@tildeslash.com
Thanks for patch Bryan, i have merged it + cleaned up remaining uid/gid examples

Best regards,
Martin