TLF-1.4.0 release

Thomas Beierlein-4

After a lot of work by all people contributing to TLF I would like to
announce the release of the new TLF-1.4.0 version.

You can find it at

http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/tlf/tlf-1.4.0.tar.gz or
https://github.com/Tlf/tlf/releases/download/tlf-1.4.0/tlf-1.4.0.tar.gz

Besides some fixed bugs and internal improvements it provides
the following new features (see also the NEWS file and the man page
for details):

    TLF now allows the use of aliases in multiplier files. So you can
    have different section codes in exchange which count as the same
    multiplier. See discussion of MULT_FILE in man page for details.
    (Tnx for suggesting to N0NB).

    A new CALLMASTER= keyword was added to allow naming the used
    callmaster database file (default is still 'callmaster').

    If RECALL_MULTS is set the content of the exchange field got
    always overwritten (e.g. by setting from initial exchange file).
    Now TLF keeps the content of the exchange field if it is not empty
    - actual input gets precedence over stored 'old' data.

    TLF now respects the number of lines of your console window (linux
    console or terminal window). You can also resize the window
    vertically while TLF is running. The extra space is used to display
    additional lines for the bandmap.

    The startup code was rewritten to allow a better readability of
    the startup messages by users
      * 'verbose' startup ('tlf -v') waits for a key press before
        clearing the screen
      * If started in an empty directory (new contest or first start)
        TLF switches to verbose mode automatically.

Major changes:
    Building TLF without Hamlib support is no longer supported.

    The old audio SCAN functionality got dropped as it was no longer
    working.

    The handling of multiplier entries in the logfile got changed to
    unify the handling between different contests.
    As a downside it may happen (depending on the contest rules) that
    TLF will get the multiplier counts wrong for logfiles written with
    an older version of TLF.
    In such an case you can export your logfile to cabrillo and
    re-import it to a new logfile in actual format (use 'tlf -i' for
    that).

Bugfixes:
    - Correct color display for TERM=xterm-256color
    - Correct transposition of check and section for arrlss (Tnx N0NB)
    - The old CQWW simulator code got repaired and should be working
      again (see :sim in man page).
    - Fix segmentation fault on return from editlog(),
    - Adapt to new 'rigmode' interface in hamlib library
    - Correct some problem in sideband selection when switching CW <->
      SSB
    - Fix segfault on missing RIGPORT definition (tnx N0NB)
    - Fix possible segfaults in readcabrillo() function

For a more detailed discussion of the new features please read the
NEWS file and the man page.

As always reports about problems (or success) are welcome.

73 es gd DX,  de Tom DL1JBE.

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Csahok Zoltan
Thanks, Tom!

Now it's time for feature requests and bug reports. :-)

73,
Zoli

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 03:06:33PM +0100, Thomas Beierlein wrote:

> [...]
>     re-import it to a new logfile in actual format (use 'tlf -i' for
>     that).
>
> Bugfixes:
>     - Correct color display for TERM=xterm-256color
>     - Correct transposition of check and section for arrlss (Tnx N0NB)
>     - The old CQWW simulator code got repaired and should be working
>       again (see :sim in man page).
>     - Fix segmentation fault on return from editlog(),
>     - Adapt to new 'rigmode' interface in hamlib library
>     - Correct some problem in sideband selection when switching CW <->
>       SSB
>     - Fix segfault on missing RIGPORT definition (tnx N0NB)
>     - Fix possible segfaults in readcabrillo() function
>

> For a more detailed discussion of the new features please read the
> NEWS file and the man page.
>
> As always reports about problems (or success) are welcome.

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Pontus Falk

Den 2019-11-13 kl. 15:06, skrev Thomas Beierlein:

> After a lot of work by all people contributing to TLF I would like to
> announce the release of the new TLF-1.4.0 version.
>
> You can find it at
>
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/tlf/tlf-1.4.0.tar.gz or
> https://github.com/Tlf/tlf/releases/download/tlf-1.4.0/tlf-1.4.0.tar.gz
Thanks a zillion to all of you involved in the development.

I've been using tlf for a couple of years, most recently in CQ WW SSB
2019 and I'm so happy with 1.3.0 - and I see a lot of improvements
already by just starting 1.4.0.

Thanks again!

73's de SM0RUX Pontus (SM0R in contests)

--
Med vänliga hälsningar / Best regards

Pontus Falk
Hovstagränd 11
SE-124 70 Bandhagen
Sweden

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Nate Bargmann-4
Congratulations to Tom and everyone that has worked on this release.

I've been quiet for the past year or so as I chose a different challenge
about a year ago due, in part, to the lament of some friends.  For the
handful of events I operate these days I've chosen to use N1MM+ under
Wine.  It does work though it is a bit (quite a bit) quirky.  One
feature I really like is to be able to switch from ESM to a CT like mode
on the fly.  When I do S&P I much prefer the CT mode and for running ESM
works best for me.  Another reason to work with it was for our club
Field Day operation where other ops seem more comfortable with menus and
such.

Regardless of what I do, have fun!

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi Pontus,

in the name of all who spent their time working on TLF let me thank for
your kind words.
We are glad that our work make contesting fun for all of you.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

Am Fri, 15 Nov 2019 08:39:38 +0100
schrieb Pontus Falk <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Den 2019-11-13 kl. 15:06, skrev Thomas Beierlein:
>
> > After a lot of work by all people contributing to TLF I would like
> > to announce the release of the new TLF-1.4.0 version.
> >
> > You can find it at
> >
> > http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/tlf/tlf-1.4.0.tar.gz or
> > https://github.com/Tlf/tlf/releases/download/tlf-1.4.0/tlf-1.4.0.tar.gz
> Thanks a zillion to all of you involved in the development.
>
> I've been using tlf for a couple of years, most recently in CQ WW SSB
> 2019 and I'm so happy with 1.3.0 - and I see a lot of improvements
> already by just starting 1.4.0.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> 73's de SM0RUX Pontus (SM0R in contests)

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi all,

Am Thu, 14 Nov 2019 20:22:24 +0100
schrieb Csahok Zoltan <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks, Tom!
>
> Now it's time for feature requests and bug reports. :-)

As the first feature request came in today by Joop let me start a
little list with things to do. Please feel free to add your ideas to
the list. We then sort out in which order and timeframe we can work on
it:

- Have a template for cabrillo file header  (Joop PG4I)

- Add a keyword to startup TLF in S&P mode (should be an easy one)

- switch between ESM and CT mode during contest (Nate N0NB)

- change internal QSO representation to structs (makes coding much
  simpler and will enable migration of log file to a different format
  later)

- Switch the logfile to a database. The actual TR-Log format has some
  limitations. Log as a database will enable easy statistics, make
  removal of QSOs easier and allows us to store more information about
  the contest. (Long term goal)

- Do a major rework of scoring of multis and points (That is already
  overdue for some time now). As contests developed in last years there
  are more and more complex scoring schemes. To code a special contest
  module for each contest will not be possible with our limited man
  power. So we need a flexible and programmable scoring which will
  allow us to handle most of the contests by a rule file.
  I fear it will break compatibility with existing TLF rules completely
  and would sure be a major version bump to TLF-2.0 or similar.

Thats for a start. Any additions?

73, de Tom DL1JBE

> 73,
> Zoli
>
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 03:06:33PM +0100, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> >
> > After a lot of work by all people contributing to TLF I would like
> > to announce the release of the new TLF-1.4.0 version.
> >
> > You can find it at
> >
> > http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/tlf/tlf-1.4.0.tar.gz or
> > https://github.com/Tlf/tlf/releases/download/tlf-1.4.0/tlf-1.4.0.tar.gz

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi Nate,

Am Sun, 17 Nov 2019 04:50:16 -0600
schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:

> Congratulations to Tom and everyone that has worked on this release.

Thanks.

> I've been quiet for the past year or so as I chose a different
> challenge about a year ago due, in part, to the lament of some
> friends.  For the handful of events I operate these days I've chosen
> to use N1MM+ under Wine.  It does work though it is a bit (quite a
> bit) quirky.

> One feature I really like is to be able to switch from
> ESM to a CT like mode on the fly.  When I do S&P I much prefer the CT
> mode and for running ESM works best for me.

As far as I see now that could be done in TLF easily. If we switch the
mode after finishing a QSO and before starting a new one, that should
work flawlessly. All that is needed is a way to switch 'ctcompatible'
on and off by key or command.

Feel free to experiment on it and prepare a pull request if you like.

> Another reason to work
> with it was for our club Field Day operation where other ops seem
> more comfortable with menus and such.

Yes, there seems to be different 'operating modes' in our heads also -
some prefer keyboards and other prefer mouse and menus. I fear that
one can not be changed - every one has to choose the programs which
fits their 'internal working' best :-).

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Drew Arnett
I've been using tlf off and on for a couple of years now.  Used it for
ARRL SS CW most recently.  Huge fan of the TUI.  Run it with no
windows manager, so no having the window manager focus run off
someplace.  :-)  Like what happens if using someone's laptop with N1MM
and the heel of the hand hits the trackpad.  :-)  And unplug the mouse
and put the paddles in their place.  :-)

Fun stuff.  Much appreciated!

Drew
n7da

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 11:40 AM Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations to Tom and everyone that has worked on this release.
>
> I've been quiet for the past year or so as I chose a different challenge
> about a year ago due, in part, to the lament of some friends.  For the
> handful of events I operate these days I've chosen to use N1MM+ under
> Wine.  It does work though it is a bit (quite a bit) quirky.  One
> feature I really like is to be able to switch from ESM to a CT like mode
> on the fly.  When I do S&P I much prefer the CT mode and for running ESM
> works best for me.  Another reason to work with it was for our club
> Field Day operation where other ops seem more comfortable with menus and
> such.
>
> Regardless of what I do, have fun!
>
> 73, Nate
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Web: https://www.n0nb.us
> Projects: https://github.com/N0NB
> GPG fingerprint: 82D6 4F6B 0E67 CD41 F689 BBA6 FB2C 5130 D55A 8819

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

jim smith-3

I'm a long-time lurker on this list, and a long-time user of TLF
(since '04 or so) just getting back into contesting after a life
detour.  I think TLF is great!  So in addition to SM0RUX I would
like to offer many thanks to all the developers that keep this project
moving forward. Completed ARRL Sweepstakes CW with it, and it worked as
well as always.

--
73, Jim N0OCT

* On 2019 17 Nov 13:09 -0600, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> Hi Nate,
>
> Am Sun, 17 Nov 2019 04:50:16 -0600
> schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:

> > One feature I really like is to be able to switch from
> > ESM to a CT like mode on the fly.  When I do S&P I much prefer the CT
> > mode and for running ESM works best for me.
>
> As far as I see now that could be done in TLF easily. If we switch the
> mode after finishing a QSO and before starting a new one, that should
> work flawlessly. All that is needed is a way to switch 'ctcompatible'
> on and off by key or command.

I'll have to fire up N1MM+ and see what, exactly, it does.  It may not
even switch modes but just toggle ESM.  I seem to recall the CT type
keys are always active but I need to check.

What Tlf actually does, wholly one mode or the other, likely won't matter
in practice.

> Feel free to experiment on it and prepare a pull request if you like.

More fun with 'git grep'.  ;-)

> > Another reason to work
> > with it was for our club Field Day operation where other ops seem
> > more comfortable with menus and such.
>
> Yes, there seems to be different 'operating modes' in our heads also -
> some prefer keyboards and other prefer mouse and menus. I fear that
> one can not be changed - every one has to choose the programs which
> fits their 'internal working' best :-).

I do prefer the keyboard though drop-down menus are nice when the gray
matter goes dark!  Otherwise, keep a terminal open with the manual page.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Nate Bargmann-4
Some items to add to your list, Tom.

 - Send Morse via Hamlib for radios that support it.

 - Rework the voice keyer so that Esc could stop the voice keyer.  This
   is another feature that I found in N1MM+ that is welcome.  At the
   moment the voice file is passed to a script so once that happens Tlf
   loses control.  Perhaps even something as simple as getting the PID
   of the script, if possible, and killing it directly.  This may have
   unintended side effects so would require much testing.  Another
   thought is to deliver the file to ALSA or Pulse Audio directly and be
   able to stop playback at will.

 - WISHLIST: Incorporate some method of pull-down menus for
   configuration.  Doing so might encourage more use of Tlf?  I don't
   know if that amount of work would be productive or not.  I'm certain
   it can probably generate a lot of discussion. ;-)

 - WISHLIST: Along with the above, move away from log_cfg.dat and the
   rules files toward configuration through the UI and a common config
   file that doesn't require hand editing.

 - WISHLIST: Rework the curses UI to avoid the 80x25 hard coded screen
   size.  I've looked into this a time or two and doing this won't be
   easy but is probably required for enough screen estate if menus are
   to be implemented.  At the least, more vertical screen space could
   show more log lines or DX spots, for example.

   Given that Tlf is likely to be used on a later distribution under X
   or Wayland with a terminal emulator, an 80x25 limit is a bit
   restrictive.  OTOH, I set up an Xterm such that it is 80x25 with a
   nice big font that works well.  Even modern distributions use a frame
   buffer on the console that is larger than 80x25.

The last three items are "down the road", likely a 2.0 release or even
later.  There is plenty of time for discussion on these.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Thomas Beierlein-4

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 22 Nov 00:56 -0600, Thomas Beierlein wrote:

On a side note, something happened with your GPG signature as it
appeared to be in "classic PGP" format to Mutt.  I did the Esc-P to
verify the signature and the message text disappears and all I see is
the good signature.  Scratches head...

I red your reply in the archive and now that you mention it, I do seem
to recall some discussion about vertical resize.  I'll check it out!

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Drew Arnett
Resize is fine, but please continue to support 80x25 long term.  I
don't see classic TUI losing value anytime soon.

What about a 2nd application, tlf-config or easy-tlf-config, which
would have the pulldown menus etc for setting up config files.  Keep
the pulldown menus out of tlf.  Once you add menus, you'll add a bunch
of hotkeys.  One of the nice things about TLF is that there aren't a
bunch of live keys, especially if run out of a console or terminal
rather than a windows manager.

Best regards,

Drew
n7da

* On 2019 23 Nov 08:14 -0600, Drew Arnett wrote:
> Resize is fine, but please continue to support 80x25 long term.  I
> don't see classic TUI losing value anytime soon.

Do you mean that Tlf should enforce a minimum 80x25 terminal size as it
has in the past?  Personally, I've no problem with that.

> What about a 2nd application, tlf-config or easy-tlf-config, which
> would have the pulldown menus etc for setting up config files.  Keep
> the pulldown menus out of tlf.  Once you add menus, you'll add a bunch
> of hotkeys.  One of the nice things about TLF is that there aren't a
> bunch of live keys, especially if run out of a console or terminal
> rather than a windows manager.

That's actually a very good idea, Drew.  If such a program were to gain
good enough coverage then the :SET and :CFG commands could just call it
instead of an editor.  As for hot keys, Tlf does have quite a few
assigned already.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Thomas Beierlein-4
Am Sat, 23 Nov 2019 18:30:01 -0600
schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:

> * On 2019 23 Nov 08:14 -0600, Drew Arnett wrote:
> > Resize is fine, but please continue to support 80x25 long term.  I
> > don't see classic TUI losing value anytime soon.
>
> Do you mean that Tlf should enforce a minimum 80x25 terminal size as
> it has in the past?  Personally, I've no problem with that.

'Enforcing' is a little bit difficult as (as far as I know) we can not
force a minimum size on any xwindow. But I will leave the warning in
place that you should have at least 25 lines in your terminal.

> > What about a 2nd application, tlf-config or easy-tlf-config, which
> > would have the pulldown menus etc for setting up config files.  Keep
> > the pulldown menus out of tlf.  Once you add menus, you'll add a
> > bunch of hotkeys.  One of the nice things about TLF is that there
> > aren't a bunch of live keys, especially if run out of a console or
> > terminal rather than a windows manager.
>
> That's actually a very good idea, Drew.  If such a program were to
> gain good enough coverage then the :SET and :CFG commands could just
> call it instead of an editor.  As for hot keys, Tlf does have quite a
> few assigned already.

Ok, I really like these idea. I will add it as an alternative to
the ToDo entry for the configuration menu.

73, de Tom

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Drew Arnett
Agreed.  I wouldn't enforce any more minimum than now.  Warning makes
sense.  But, I can't anticipate someone doesn't have a use case where
they want to use a smaller terminal.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 7:16 PM Thomas Beierlein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Sat, 23 Nov 2019 18:30:01 -0600
> schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> > * On 2019 23 Nov 08:14 -0600, Drew Arnett wrote:
> > > Resize is fine, but please continue to support 80x25 long term.  I
> > > don't see classic TUI losing value anytime soon.
> >
> > Do you mean that Tlf should enforce a minimum 80x25 terminal size as
> > it has in the past?  Personally, I've no problem with that.
>
> 'Enforcing' is a little bit difficult as (as far as I know) we can not
> force a minimum size on any xwindow. But I will leave the warning in
> place that you should have at least 25 lines in your terminal.
> >
> > > What about a 2nd application, tlf-config or easy-tlf-config, which
> > > would have the pulldown menus etc for setting up config files.  Keep
> > > the pulldown menus out of tlf.  Once you add menus, you'll add a
> > > bunch of hotkeys.  One of the nice things about TLF is that there
> > > aren't a bunch of live keys, especially if run out of a console or
> > > terminal rather than a windows manager.
> >
> > That's actually a very good idea, Drew.  If such a program were to
> > gain good enough coverage then the :SET and :CFG commands could just
> > call it instead of an editor.  As for hot keys, Tlf does have quite a
> > few assigned already.
> >
> Ok, I really like these idea. I will add it as an alternative to
> the ToDo entry for the configuration menu.
>
> 73, de Tom
>

> --
> "Do what is needful!"
> Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF-1.4.0 release

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 25 Nov 13:17 -0600, Thomas Beierlein wrote:

> Am Sat, 23 Nov 2019 18:30:01 -0600
> schrieb Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]>:
>
> > * On 2019 23 Nov 08:14 -0600, Drew Arnett wrote:
> > > Resize is fine, but please continue to support 80x25 long term.  I
> > > don't see classic TUI losing value anytime soon.
> >
> > Do you mean that Tlf should enforce a minimum 80x25 terminal size as
> > it has in the past?  Personally, I've no problem with that.
>
> 'Enforcing' is a little bit difficult as (as far as I know) we can not
> force a minimum size on any xwindow. But I will leave the warning in
> place that you should have at least 25 lines in your terminal.
By "enforcing" I was referring to the behavior where Tlf simply exited
unless the terminal was at least 80x25.