TLF and Hamlib 4 - things to look for

Thomas Beierlein
Hi all,

if you want to play with the new Hamlib 4 release candidates for
TLF there are some points to remember:

1. Hamlib 4 has changed the scheme for rig numbers to make room for more
  new rigs. Please have a look with 'rigctl -l', find your new rig
  number and adapt logcfg.dat accordingly.

2. IMPORTANT! Hamlib 4 has a different program API than the versions
  before. So any time you switch from Hamlib 3 to 4 (or maybe back) you
  have to recompile TLF to adapt to the other API.

Afterwards TLF should be able to work with your rig as before.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF and Hamlib 4 - things to look for

Drew Arnett
Dumb question:  Can some of this be avoided by running rigctld and
then pointing tlf to the daemon?  They didn't change the network
protocol for rigctld, did they?

Best regards,

Drew
n7da

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 5:48 AM Thomas Beierlein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> if you want to play with the new Hamlib 4 release candidates for
> TLF there are some points to remember:
>
> 1. Hamlib 4 has changed the scheme for rig numbers to make room for more
>   new rigs. Please have a look with 'rigctl -l', find your new rig
>   number and adapt logcfg.dat accordingly.
>
> 2. IMPORTANT! Hamlib 4 has a different program API than the versions
>   before. So any time you switch from Hamlib 3 to 4 (or maybe back) you
>   have to recompile TLF to adapt to the other API.
>
> Afterwards TLF should be able to work with your rig as before.
>
> 73, de Tom DL1JBE
>
> --
> "Do what is needful!"
> Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF and Hamlib 4 - things to look for

EI6KW

It's working for me with rigctld and I can use other software simultaneously without any troubles.

This needs in logcfg.dat:

RIGPORT=localhost:4532 (change 4532 if other port is used)

W dniu 16.12.2020 o 14:51, Drew Arnett pisze:
[...]

73!
de Slav, EI6KW

FISTS #19019
SOC #1251
TRC #015-Ireland

Re: TLF and Hamlib 4 - things to look for

EI6KW
But it didn't work for me  before tlf recompile with hamlib4.

--
73!
de Slav, EI6KW

FISTS #19019
SOC #1251
TRC #015-Ireland

Re: TLF and Hamlib 4 - things to look for

Thomas Beierlein-4
Yes and no.

For the 'yes' part:

You can point tlf to use the daemon (as Slave wrote) but it is
activated via the normal hamlib library call (with rig model number
2).

That means in these case it goes directly to the hamlib library and talk
to rig model 2 which results in hamlib library making a TCP connection
to rigctld (model number 2)  (which talks to the hamlib library, which
talks to the radio rigctld is configured for). (Sounds like overkill
and make my head spinning).

And for the first part of the game - talking to the hamlib library - it
has to be adapted to the correct API.

For the 'no' part:

To use rigctld directly TLF has to be changed to use a direct TCP
connection to rigctld. But that is not how TLF works at the moment.

between Hamlib 3 and 4.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: TLF and Hamlib 4 - things to look for

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2020 16 Dec 10:47 -0600, Thomas Beierlein wrote:

> Yes and no.
>
> For the 'yes' part:
>
> You can point tlf to use the daemon (as Slave wrote) but it is
> activated via the normal hamlib library call (with rig model number
> 2).
>
> That means in these case it goes directly to the hamlib library and talk
> to rig model 2 which results in hamlib library making a TCP connection
> to rigctld (model number 2)  (which talks to the hamlib library, which
> talks to the radio rigctld is configured for). (Sounds like overkill
> and make my head spinning).
Actually, it was kind of an ingenious implementation by Stephane years
back.  Yes, it is fairly complex but it does allow for an application
that already uses the Hamlib API to use rigctld, which at the time was
very new, without being rewritten for TCP sockets.  Also, such apps can
then utilize a rig connected to another computer and with the
proliferation of Raspberry Pis this has worked out well.

> To use rigctld directly TLF has to be changed to use a direct TCP
> connection to rigctld. But that is not how TLF works at the moment.

At some point that might be a useful feature.

73, Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB