Testing a servers connection. (This is a dumb question.)

Testing a servers connection. (This is a dumb question.)

Michael Tiernan
I believe that asking dumb questions can still be useful and it also allows for the occasional surprise when the answer isn't what I thought. To that end....

I am trying to use a Linphone on a "company provided" sip service. I can't get support for any "user provided client" but I /am/ allowed to try configuring it myself. I have the fundamental settings and am not meeting with lots of success.

So, the question, does anyone know of a test client (web or android) that can query a sip host and report back what settings the server seems to support?

I'm going to try packet sniffing my attempts soon to see what I find but I want to see what parameters can be nailed down easily.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Re: Testing a servers connection. (This is a dumb question.)

Russell Treleaven
sipsak and sipp
wireshark is also useful

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 9:58 AM Michael Tiernan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I believe that asking dumb questions can still be useful and it also allows for the occasional surprise when the answer isn't what I thought. To that end....

I am trying to use a Linphone on a "company provided" sip service. I can't get support for any "user provided client" but I /am/ allowed to try configuring it myself. I have the fundamental settings and am not meeting with lots of success.

So, the question, does anyone know of a test client (web or android) that can query a sip host and report back what settings the server seems to support?

I'm going to try packet sniffing my attempts soon to see what I find but I want to see what parameters can be nailed down easily.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Sincerely,

Russell Treleaven
[hidden email];transport=tcp

Re: Testing a servers connection. (This is a dumb question.)

Christopher Woods

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 17:04, Russell Treleaven <[hidden email]> wrote:
you can get the same information from linphone's debug support though.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 9:58 AM Michael Tiernan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I believe that asking dumb questions can still be useful and it also allows for the occasional surprise when the answer isn't what I thought. To that end....

I am trying to use a Linphone on a "company provided" sip service. I can't get support for any "user provided client" but I /am/ allowed to try configuring it myself. I have the fundamental settings and am not meeting with lots of success.

So, the question, does anyone know of a test client (web or android) that can query a sip host and report back what settings the server seems to support?

I'm going to try packet sniffing my attempts soon to see what I find but I want to see what parameters can be nailed down easily.

For capabilities, you're best off watching the debug response of any good client. At work we use StarTrinity (http://startrinity.com/VoIP/SipTester/SipTester.aspx) for testing SIP servers, perhaps not exactly what you're after as it's not a one-app solution but it's very powerful.

Some other possibilities:

I also use Wireshark as it has the ability to show a SIP ladder diagram. For your sanity, avoid using TLS/SRTP unless you also have the private keys.

On 2/18/19 12:02 PM, Russell Treleaven wrote:
> you can get the same information from linphone's debug support though.

That makes good sense. I looked for it and missed it.

(Probably shouldn't try doing this crap at 2am.) :(

Thanks for the feedback folks!

On 2/18/19 12:12 PM, Christopher Woods wrote:
> For capabilities, you're best off watching the debug response of any
> good client.

Well, now I have an entertaining response too. I tried turning on the
debugging on Linphone and it blows up. :)

I'm going to try a couple of different clients to see if any of them
give me any help.

Thanks very much for the testing links. I've got a server that I may
reload with MicroSoft for a short while so I can run that test and see
what it tells me.

--
   << MCT >> Michael C Tiernan. http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan
   Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis