Thank You for FreeMono

csh

Thank You for FreeMono

csh
I just want to say: Thank you, GNU Project, for making the FreeFont font
family.

FreeMono is the best I have encountered so far. It produces 55 lines per
page at size 12, necessary for screenplays; it supports Hebrew and
Russian; its zero and O are distinct; all character shapes match
traditional Courier; it looks better on screens than Nimbus.

My only gripe is that it is thin like Courier New and does not produce
the traditional weight found on typewritten pages.  Courier 10 Pitch
does this, and is much easier to read on screens and paper, but the line
height is way too big.

Although Courier 10 Pitch looks nicer, I use FreeMono in all my
monospaced text, both printed and on-screen.

Thank you!

--
Caleb Herbert
KE0VVT

Re: Thank You for FreeMono

Steve White-12
Hi Caleb,

We worked hard on it.  Sorry that it hasn't been updated in such a
long time -- I hope to remedy that soon.  If you would like a recent
snapshot, let me know.

About the thinness, well, that is baked in.  The font set is
explicitly a replacement for the old Times/Helvetica/Courier, and
Courier was a thin typewriter font.

The whole point of having lots of fonts is that if one doesn't suit
your purposes, there is another to do that better!

Thanks!