The end of an Era

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The end of an Era

stuff
I think this is a good time to bring up the subject of finally shutting down the keyservers.

The pool is now incredibly small, with people dropping out at an increasing rate.

This would be a good time for Kristian to end the pool.
Kristians keyserver has also dropped out with nothing more left than a 502 error.

Time to put this mess to bed and gently smother it with a pillow!

Appreciate any comments.

yakamo

--


_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The end of an Era

Daniel Roesler
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

I strongly disagree that the pool should be shutdown. As long as
there are people willing to operate servers, I think the pool
should be available to join.

There is no prominent alternative for _decentralized_ public key
sharing. Keybase is centralized, as is keys.openpgp.org. I would
argue that there must be a good decentralized alternative before
shutting down this pool.

That being said, my server is currently down due to the issues
with Issue #61[1], but I would love to rejoin whenever it is
fixed or when I find the time to write my own compatible server.
So I understand that I am just talking, rather than acting to
solve the issues currently. I just hope the pool hangs on until
I (or someone else equally motivated) can tackle the existing
issues with the keyservers in the pool.

Daniel

[1]: https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/issues/61

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1

iQEcBAEBCgAGBQJdUY/hAAoJEMtwcDcM6wt60PMIAICgy3/7Mg9sT9zfzZAKH2F2
Ejf9rFPEezAJk5P1DK1v/p3sQI4eaaEu48hoV+2Rqzob8JicQmQestyqj1HmvKgC
Q+f/q9Pv0s2ibCHzbdgdRrAc3XL5JMwsR8vPCBNzkL2zX1Ph/IxWyCCQ2xSm7tE/
31Snex8IjW/JR6aOt6BZYGIHQkBEXc7rZ7z6RulWEH92bepzS6ocN82z2FUmZLF7
dKOuNg/2/t0hvIWutHBSJM3F20aX7xuNEKQzSetIV7620FkgA+2C5NjuEzIA2DvW
tKyavj81d/ECkE3wpVdI1dS4IS1VP4/tzTvtwqh+/+n6vuoQiFiKXWMW6Xx/zQM=
=tTJO
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 7:21 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I think this is a good time to bring up the subject of finally shutting down the keyservers.
>
> The pool is now incredibly small, with people dropping out at an increasing rate.
>
> This would be a good time for Kristian to end the pool.
> Kristians keyserver has also dropped out with nothing more left than a 502 error.
>
> Time to put this mess to bed and gently smother it with a pillow!
>
> Appreciate any comments.
>
> yakamo
>
> --
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sks-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The end of an Era

Philihp Busby
I am turning off pgp.philihp.com until further notice. With hourly reboots, it still had 68% uptime in the last 24 hours, 89% in the last 7 days.

With no apparent developer traction on SKS development to fix its problems, I agree that we should ring the death knell. Our community isn't known for quickly changing, and continuing to support an outdated alternative doesn't help this.

Also: the SKS HKPS is pool is also centralized.

On 2019-08-12T16:13:14Z (11:13AM -0500) Daniel Roesler <[hidden email]> sed:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA512
>
>I strongly disagree that the pool should be shutdown. As long as
>there are people willing to operate servers, I think the pool
>should be available to join.
>
>There is no prominent alternative for _decentralized_ public key
>sharing. Keybase is centralized, as is keys.openpgp.org. I would
>argue that there must be a good decentralized alternative before
>shutting down this pool.
>
>That being said, my server is currently down due to the issues
>with Issue #61[1], but I would love to rejoin whenever it is
>fixed or when I find the time to write my own compatible server.
>So I understand that I am just talking, rather than acting to
>solve the issues currently. I just hope the pool hangs on until
>I (or someone else equally motivated) can tackle the existing
>issues with the keyservers in the pool.
>
>Daniel
>
>[1]: https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/issues/61
>
>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>Version: GnuPG v1
>
>iQEcBAEBCgAGBQJdUY/hAAoJEMtwcDcM6wt60PMIAICgy3/7Mg9sT9zfzZAKH2F2
>Ejf9rFPEezAJk5P1DK1v/p3sQI4eaaEu48hoV+2Rqzob8JicQmQestyqj1HmvKgC
>Q+f/q9Pv0s2ibCHzbdgdRrAc3XL5JMwsR8vPCBNzkL2zX1Ph/IxWyCCQ2xSm7tE/
>31Snex8IjW/JR6aOt6BZYGIHQkBEXc7rZ7z6RulWEH92bepzS6ocN82z2FUmZLF7
>dKOuNg/2/t0hvIWutHBSJM3F20aX7xuNEKQzSetIV7620FkgA+2C5NjuEzIA2DvW
>tKyavj81d/ECkE3wpVdI1dS4IS1VP4/tzTvtwqh+/+n6vuoQiFiKXWMW6Xx/zQM=
>=tTJO
>-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 7:21 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think this is a good time to bring up the subject of finally shutting down the keyservers.
>>
>> The pool is now incredibly small, with people dropping out at an increasing rate.
>>
>> This would be a good time for Kristian to end the pool.
>> Kristians keyserver has also dropped out with nothing more left than a 502 error.
>>
>> Time to put this mess to bed and gently smother it with a pillow!
>>
>> Appreciate any comments.
>>
>> yakamo
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Sks-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel
>
>_______________________________________________
>Sks-devel mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (997 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The end of an Era

Skip Carter
In reply to this post by Daniel Roesler
On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 11:13 -0500, Daniel Roesler wrote:
>
> There is no prominent alternative for _decentralized_ public key
> sharing. Keybase is centralized, as is keys.openpgp.org. I would
> argue that there must be a good decentralized alternative before
> shutting down this pool.\\

I agree that it is important that there be a decentralized key sharing
service.  Given the fragility of sks and the apparent lack of
developers willing to take up the task of fixing its problems, I have
been thinking about re-implement it.  This is a spare-time effort that
has so far been confined to reverse engineering experiments and tests.
Has anybody else started down this path ?  Maybe we could collaborate
and a new sks could rise from the ashes of the old.



--
Dr Everett (Skip) Carter
[hidden email]

Taygeta Scientific Inc
607 Charles Ave
Seaside CA 93955
831-641-0645 x103



_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (673 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The end of an Era

Michiel van Baak
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 04:34:49PM -0700, Skip Carter wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 11:13 -0500, Daniel Roesler wrote:
> I agree that it is important that there be a decentralized key sharing
> service.  Given the fragility of sks and the apparent lack of
> developers willing to take up the task of fixing its problems, I have
> been thinking about re-implement it.  This is a spare-time effort that
> has so far been confined to reverse engineering experiments and tests.
> Has anybody else started down this path ?  Maybe we could collaborate
> and a new sks could rise from the ashes of the old.

There is hockeypuck: https://hockeypuck.github.io

--
Michiel van Baak
[hidden email]
GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6FFC75A2679ED069

NB: I have a new GPG key. Old one revoked and revoked key updated on keyservers.

_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The end of an Era

Philihp Busby
In reply to this post by Skip Carter
I heard @valodim was writing a keyserver in Rust, and has made a lot of really great progress. His code is open source and very easy to read.

On 2019-08-12T23:34:49Z (04:34PM -0700) Skip Carter <[hidden email]> sed:

>On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 11:13 -0500, Daniel Roesler wrote:
>>
>> There is no prominent alternative for _decentralized_ public key
>> sharing. Keybase is centralized, as is keys.openpgp.org. I would
>> argue that there must be a good decentralized alternative before
>> shutting down this pool.\\
>
>I agree that it is important that there be a decentralized key sharing
>service.  Given the fragility of sks and the apparent lack of
>developers willing to take up the task of fixing its problems, I have
>been thinking about re-implement it.  This is a spare-time effort that
>has so far been confined to reverse engineering experiments and tests.
>Has anybody else started down this path ?  Maybe we could collaborate
>and a new sks could rise from the ashes of the old.
>
>
>
>--
>Dr Everett (Skip) Carter
>[hidden email]
>
>Taygeta Scientific Inc
>607 Charles Ave
>Seaside CA 93955
>831-641-0645 x103
>
>


>_______________________________________________
>Sks-devel mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel


_______________________________________________
Sks-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/sks-devel

signature.asc (997 bytes) Download Attachment