Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Ken Hornstein-2
Greetings all,

I am pleased to announce that the third release candidate for nmh 1.7.1
is now available for download.  You can download it here:

    http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/nmh/nmh-1.7.1-RC3.tar.gz

A GPG signature of the above file is available for download here:

    http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/nmh/nmh-1.7.1-RC3.tar.gz.sig

I've included MIME external-body pointers to the above files in this
message.

1.7.1 is a patch release for 1.7, and includes fixes to a number of
significant bugs we have discovered since releasing 1.7.  In addition to
bugs fixed in previous release candidates, this candidate also includes a
fix to a significant memory leak in scan(1) and some fixes to the nmh
test suite.

I am hoping that we will be able to go to a final release relatively
quickly, so I would greatly appreciate it if people would take this
chance to test it out and report any feedback to the nmh-workers mailing
list ([hidden email]).

Ken Hornstein
on behalf of the nmh development team

--
Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Norman Shapiro-3
Ken Hornstein <[hidden email]> writes:

I would greatly appreciate it if people would take this
>chance to test it out and report any feedback to the nmh-workers mailing
>list ([hidden email]).

I compiled and am running 1.7.1.
make test revealed no problems.

Extremely minor glitch:

I got the initial greeting twice,  with the first and
second commands I ran. The first was:

     scan -v

The second was via a perl script and was something like:

     MAILDROP=something inc -nochangecur"

I don't remember that glitch in the past, but it is so minor that I might
well have not noticed or ignored it.

And thank you for helping me avoid working on my income tax.:-)

    Norman Shapiro

Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Ken Hornstein-2
>I compiled and am running 1.7.1.
>make test revealed no problems.
>
>Extremely minor glitch:
>
>I got the initial greeting twice,  with the first and
>second commands I ran. The first was:
>
>     scan -v
>
>The second was via a perl script and was something like:
>
>     MAILDROP=something inc -nochangecur"

Hm.  I've seen that as well, but I always attributed it to the fact
I am switching around nmh versions a bunch during testing.  I'll
dig into it a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback!

--Ken

Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Norman Shapiro-3
show no longer accepts -nopref

    Norman Shapiro

Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Leonardo Taccari
Hello Norman,

[hidden email] writes:

> [...]
> Extremely minor glitch:
>
> I got the initial greeting twice,  with the first and
> second commands I ran. The first was:
>
>      scan -v
>
> The second was via a perl script and was something like:
>
>      MAILDROP=something inc -nochangecur"
>
> I don't remember that glitch in the past, but it is so minor that I might
> well have not noticed or ignored it.
> [...]

Oh, I guess that's because `scan -v' does not modify `context', e.g.:

 | % cat `mhpath +`/`mhparam context`
 | Version: nmh-1.7.1-RC2
 | Current-Folder: nmh-workers
 | % scan -v
 | ========================================================================
 | Welcome to nmh version 1.7.1-RC3
 | [...]
 | Press enter to continue:
 |
 | scan -- nmh-1.7.1-RC3 built 2018-02-22 18:01:22 +0000 on boh
 | % cat `mhpath +`/`mhparam context`
 | Version: nmh-1.7.1-RC2
 | Current-Folder: nmh-workers
 | % scan -v
 | ========================================================================
 | Welcome to nmh version 1.7.1-RC3
 | [...]
 | scan -- nmh-1.7.1-RC3 built 2018-02-22 18:01:22 +0000 on boh
 | % scan cur
 | ========================================================================
 | Welcome to nmh version 1.7.1-RC3
 | [...]
 | >N   3495 [hidden email]      Thu Feb 22 08:51 Re: [Nmh-workers] Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available
 | % scan -v
 | scan -- nmh-1.7.1-RC3 built 2018-02-22 18:01:22 +0000 on boh

Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

David Levine-3
Leonardo wrote:

> [hidden email] writes:
> >
> > I don't remember that glitch in the past, but it is so minor that I might
> > well have not noticed or ignored it.
> > [...]
>
> Oh, I guess that's because `scan -v' does not modify `context', e.g.:

Right.  Neither does -help.

Ken, would it be a bad idea to call context_save() in nmh_version_changed()
if the Version context is replaced?

David

Nmh-workers

Norm wrote:

> show no longer accepts -nopref

mhshow accepts -[no]pref.  show never did.  Maybe it should?

These arg parsing error messages are a bit odd:

    $ show -pref
    show: missing argument to -pref

    $ show -pref text/plain
    mhl: -pref unknown

David

Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Ralph Corderoy
Hi David,

> > Oh, I guess that's because `scan -v' does not modify `context',
> > e.g.:
>
> Right.  Neither does -help.
>
> Ken, would it be a bad idea to call context_save() in
> nmh_version_changed() if the Version context is replaced?

That's probably the same as asking if no code fiddles with context in
temporary ways knowing *it's* not going to save it later?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy

Nmh-workers

Ralph wrote:

> That's probably the same as asking if no code fiddles with context in
> temporary ways knowing *it's* not going to save it later?

In this case, no code fiddles with context within the same program
before nmh_version_changed() is called, because it's only called at the
beginning.  Calling another program after modifying context might be
a problem, but I don't know if any programs do that.

David

Nmh-workers

David Levine <[hidden email]> writes:

>Norm wrote:
>
>> show no longer accepts -nopref
>
>mhshow accepts -[no]pref.  show never did.  Maybe it should?
>
>These arg parsing error messages are a bit odd:
>
>$ show -pref
>show: missing argument to -pref
>
>$ show -pref text/plain
>mhl: -pref unknown

mhshow -nopr 170
mhshow: -nopr unknown

    Norman Shapiro

Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Ken Hornstein-2
>> > I don't remember that glitch in the past, but it is so minor that I might
>> > well have not noticed or ignored it.
>> > [...]
>>
>> Oh, I guess that's because `scan -v' does not modify `context', e.g.:
>
>Right.  Neither does -help.
>
>Ken, would it be a bad idea to call context_save() in nmh_version_changed()
>if the Version context is replaced?

Hrm.  Part of me says "no, adding that should be fine" ... but, hell,
I'm not sure, we've been bitten by an unsuspecting change like that
before.  I almost think that things like that should be dealt with more
generally, like in an exit handler or something.  I'm leaning toward
"not deal with it now".  Even we people think we should call context_save()
in nmh_version_changed(), I don't think this should be fixed for 1.7.1.
Thoughts?

--Ken

Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Paul Fox-3
ken wrote:

 > >> Oh, I guess that's because `scan -v' does not modify `context', e.g.:
 > >
 > >Right.  Neither does -help.
 > >
 > >Ken, would it be a bad idea to call context_save() in nmh_version_changed()
 > >if the Version context is replaced?
 >
 > Hrm.  Part of me says "no, adding that should be fine" ... but, hell,
 > I'm not sure, we've been bitten by an unsuspecting change like that
 > before.  I almost think that things like that should be dealt with more
 > generally, like in an exit handler or something.  I'm leaning toward
 > "not deal with it now".  Even we people think we should call context_save()
 > in nmh_version_changed(), I don't think this should be fixed for 1.7.1.
 > Thoughts?

agreed.  doesn't seem like a release blocker to me.

paul

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Ken Hornstein-2
>> Ken, would it be a bad idea to call context_save() in
>> nmh_version_changed() if the Version context is replaced?
>
>That's probably the same as asking if no code fiddles with context in
>temporary ways knowing *it's* not going to save it later?

Generally when the context is going to be fiddled with, it's done
after program initialization has taken place and the program in question
is actually DOING things.  The issue here is nmh_version_changed() is
being called in nmh_init(), so if the program exits early then it won't
call context_save() in the normal course of things.

--Ken

Nmh-workers

Paul F wrote:

> agreed.  doesn't seem like a release blocker to me.

+1

David

Nmh-workers

Re: Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Ken Hornstein-2
>Paul F wrote:
>
>> agreed.  doesn't seem like a release blocker to me.
>
>+1

Alright, so ... give it a week and if nothing crops up, we'll go for 1.7.1
final?

--Ken

Nmh-workers

Re: [Nmh-workers] show Passing mhl Unknown Options.

Ralph Corderoy
Hi David,

> These arg parsing error messages are a bit odd:
>
>     $ show -pref
>     show: missing argument to -pref
>     $ show -pref text/plain
>     mhl: -pref unknown

Seems to be 85bc89701 from 2016-01.  It's not just -pref.

    $ show -part
    show: missing argument to -part
    $ show -part 42
    mhl: -part unknown

nmh-workers

Re: [Nmh-workers] Third release candidate for 1.7.1 is now available

Ralph Corderoy
Hi Norman,

> mhshow -nopr 170
> mhshow: -nopr unknown

Well that's odd because mhshow does know -noprefer.

    $ mhshow -noprefer . >/dev/null
    $ mhshow -noprefe . >/dev/null
    $ mhshow -nopref . >/dev/null
    $ mhshow -nopre . >/dev/null
    $ mhshow -nopr . >/dev/null
    $ mhshow -nop . >/dev/null
    $ mhshow -no . >/dev/null
    mhshow: -no ambiguous.  It matches
      -nocheck
      -noverbose
      -noconcat
      -notextonly
      -noinlineonly
      -noheader
      -noprefer
    $

Perhaps try `mhshow -version' to make sure that's Ken's 1.7.1 candidate.

nmh-workers

Ralph Corderoy <[hidden email]> writes:

>Hi Norman,
>
>> mhshow -nopr 170
>> mhshow: -nopr unknown
>
>Well that's odd because mhshow does know -noprefer.
>
>$ mhshow -noprefer . >/dev/null
>$ mhshow -noprefe . >/dev/null
>$ mhshow -nopref . >/dev/null
>$ mhshow -nopre . >/dev/null
>$ mhshow -nopr . >/dev/null
>$ mhshow -nop . >/dev/null
>$ mhshow -no . >/dev/null
>mhshow: -no ambiguous.  It matches
>-nocheck
>-noverbose
>-noconcat
>-notextonly
>-noinlineonly
>-noheader
>-noprefer
>$
>
>Perhaps try `mhshow -version' to make sure that's Ken's 1.7.1 candidate.

Yes, my symbolic links were confused. mhshow -nopr does work.
    Norman Shapiro

nmh-workers

Ralph wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> > These arg parsing error messages are a bit odd:
> >
> >     $ show -pref
> >     show: missing argument to -pref
> >     $ show -pref text/plain
> >     mhl: -pref unknown
>
> Seems to be 85bc89701 from 2016-01.

I wouldn't blame that commit.  Without it:

    $ show -pref
    mhl: -pref unknown

    $ show -pref text/plain
    show: bad message list text/plain

I think this gets back to the issue of programs not knowing about
the switches and arguments of programs that they call.  And so the
fix will have to wait for that to be resolved.

David

nmh-workers

Re: [Nmh-workers] show Passing mhl Unknown Options.

Ralph Corderoy
Hi David,

> > > These arg parsing error messages are a bit odd:
> > >
> > >     $ show -pref
> > >     show: missing argument to -pref
> > >     $ show -pref text/plain
> > >     mhl: -pref unknown
> >
> > Seems to be 85bc89701 from 2016-01.
>
> I wouldn't blame that commit.  Without it:
>
>     $ show -pref
>     mhl: -pref unknown
>
>     $ show -pref text/plain
>     show: bad message list text/plain

Yes, but IIRC I felt that commit fixed half the problem without spotting
the other half needed fixing.  Not difficult to miss...

> I think this gets back to the issue of programs not knowing about
> the switches and arguments of programs that they call.  And so the
> fix will have to wait for that to be resolved.

Yep.