Traditional LDAP keyserver going off line

Traditional LDAP keyserver going off line

Teun Nijssen
Hi,

for a very, very long time (even when a keyserver was a Perl script),
SURFnet has been funding PGP keyservers.

In august 2004, SURFnet installed a new dedicated SKS keyserver
hkp://pgp.surfnet.nl:11371 which is also known as minsky.surfnet.nl

The previous machine, horowitz.surfnet.nl is currently still
operational; it handles between 1M and 2M *LDAP* keyserver requests per
month.

Nevertheless, at the end of this month good old horowitz (a Solaris
Enterprise 1 box of previous century quality) will go off-line. Its
problem is not the age of the hardware but the fading away of Solaris at
Tilburg University. (We're a Debian site now.)

I have requested PGP.com to point the europe.keys.pgp.com cname alias to
one of their own servers.

cheers,

teun