Trouble cloning

Hendrik Boom-2
I'm sorry to be asking basic usage questions again.

I have no trouble with the everyday use of monotone -- mind you, the
everyday commands are add, drop, sync, and update and they are pretty
simple once everything has been set up.

But I don't clone often.  I don't set up new databases often, and I
regret to say that I still need to ask on this list every time I do it.
I always seem to do something wrong.

Today it's cloning a database from a server to a new machine.

Is clone even the right way to do this?  I could perhaps fall back
to the more specific nonamalgameted commands.

hendrik@midwinter:~$ mtn clone --db=~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn --key [hidden email] mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto?com.pooq.hendrik.howto --branch=com.pooq.hendrik.howto howto
mtn: connecting to 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
mtn:   include pattern  'com.pooq.hendrik.howto'
mtn:   exclude pattern  ''
mtn: finding items to synchronize:
mtn: successful exchange with 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in
mtn:       351 |       701 |      0/0
mtn: misuse: branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.howto' is empty
hendrik@midwinter:~$

and listing the branches agrees.

hendrik@midwinter:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
hendrik@midwinter:~$

The thing is, listing the branches on the server does *not* agree:

hendrik@april:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
com.pooq.topoi.howto
hendrik@april:~$

(yes, the computer identifying itself as april in indeed also topoi.
That's not the problem)

Somehow I've missed out on doing something.  I'm hoping other eyes will
see what I don't.

Here's are the relevant usher stanzas I use on the server

userpass        "hendrik" "notmypassword"
monotone        "/usr/bin/mtn" "-k" "[hidden email]"
listenaddr      "0.0.0.0:4691"
adminaddr       "127.0.0.3:12345"
logdir          "/farhome/hendrik/monotone/usher-log/"

server          "howto"
host            "0.0.0.0"
pattern         "com.pooq.topoi.howto"
local           "-d" "/farhome/hendrik/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn"

-- hendrik

erase default sync location (Was: Trouble cloning)

Hendrik Boom-2
The quoted message describes trouble I've had cloning a database.

I have subsequently cloned another database between the same
server/client pair, but am still having trouble with the original
database.

I suspect there is something deeply sick in the howto.mtn database, and
I don't need advice about cloning it.

It had a history.

I had accidentally deleted it a while ago, then restored it from
backup.

I had another version of it on a client machine (a different one), and
synced the one on the client with the one on the server.  After syncing
and updating workspaces on both client and server, everything seemed to
be OK.

But now it looks as if it wasn't.

Not sure what to do now.

I could copy the entire database from the client to replace the one on
the server.  But then the server would have itself as a default sync
location, which might not be best practice.

How can I remove the default sync location?

-- hendrik

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 08:03:23AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I'm sorry to be asking basic usage questions again.
>
> I have no trouble with the everyday use of monotone -- mind you, the
> everyday commands are add, drop, sync, and update and they are pretty
> simple once everything has been set up.
>
> But I don't clone often.  I don't set up new databases often, and I
> regret to say that I still need to ask on this list every time I do it.
> I always seem to do something wrong.
>
> Today it's cloning a database from a server to a new machine.
>
> Is clone even the right way to do this?  I could perhaps fall back
> to the more specific nonamalgameted commands.
>
> hendrik@midwinter:~$ mtn clone --db=~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn --key [hidden email] mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto?com.pooq.hendrik.howto --branch=com.pooq.hendrik.howto howto
> mtn: connecting to 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
> mtn:   include pattern  'com.pooq.hendrik.howto'
> mtn:   exclude pattern  ''
> mtn: finding items to synchronize:
> mtn: successful exchange with 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
> mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in
> mtn:       351 |       701 |      0/0
> mtn: misuse: branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.howto' is empty
> hendrik@midwinter:~$
>
> and listing the branches agrees.
>
> hendrik@midwinter:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
> hendrik@midwinter:~$
>
> The thing is, listing the branches on the server does *not* agree:
>
> hendrik@april:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
> com.pooq.topoi.howto
> hendrik@april:~$
>
> (yes, the computer identifying itself as april in indeed also topoi.
> That's not the problem)
>
> Somehow I've missed out on doing something.  I'm hoping other eyes will
> see what I don't.
>
> Here's are the relevant usher stanzas I use on the server
>
> userpass        "hendrik" "notmypassword"
> monotone        "/usr/bin/mtn" "-k" "[hidden email]"
> listenaddr      "0.0.0.0:4691"
> adminaddr       "127.0.0.3:12345"
> logdir          "/farhome/hendrik/monotone/usher-log/"
>
> server          "howto"
> host            "0.0.0.0"
> pattern         "com.pooq.topoi.howto"
> local           "-d" "/farhome/hendrik/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn"
>
> -- hendrik

Re: erase default sync location (Was: Trouble cloning)

Peter Stirling
--set-default

On 28/06/18 17:22, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> hendrik@april:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
>> com.pooq.topoi.howto
>> hendrik@april:~$
>>
>> (yes, the computer identifying itself as april in indeed also topoi.
>> That's not the problem)
>>
>> Somehow I've missed out on doing something.  I'm hoping other eyes will
>> see what I don't.
>>
>> Here's are the relevant usher stanzas I use on the server
>>
>> userpass        "hendrik" "notmypassword"
>> monotone        "/usr/bin/mtn" "-k" "[hidden email]"
>> listenaddr      "0.0.0.0:4691"
>> adminaddr       "127.0.0.3:12345"
>> logdir          "/farhome/hendrik/monotone/usher-log/"
>>
>> server          "howto"
>> host            "0.0.0.0"
>> pattern         "com.pooq.topoi.howto"
>> local           "-d" "/farhome/hendrik/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn"

Re: Trouble cloning

Hendrik Boom-2
I seem to have a data base that I can sync with (from one client system)
but cannot clone (to another ckient system).  Is this worth preserving
to find out why monotone exhibits thie strange behaviour?  If so, I'll
try to keep it aroung for analysis.  If not, I'll just delete it.

-- hendrik

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 08:03:23AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I'm sorry to be asking basic usage questions again.
>
> I have no trouble with the everyday use of monotone -- mind you, the
> everyday commands are add, drop, sync, and update and they are pretty
> simple once everything has been set up.
>
> But I don't clone often.  I don't set up new databases often, and I
> regret to say that I still need to ask on this list every time I do it.
> I always seem to do something wrong.
>
> Today it's cloning a database from a server to a new machine.
>
> Is clone even the right way to do this?  I could perhaps fall back
> to the more specific nonamalgameted commands.
>
> hendrik@midwinter:~$ mtn clone --db=~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn --key [hidden email] mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto?com.pooq.hendrik.howto --branch=com.pooq.hendrik.howto howto
> mtn: connecting to 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
> mtn:   include pattern  'com.pooq.hendrik.howto'
> mtn:   exclude pattern  ''
> mtn: finding items to synchronize:
> mtn: successful exchange with 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
> mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in
> mtn:       351 |       701 |      0/0
> mtn: misuse: branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.howto' is empty
> hendrik@midwinter:~$
>
> and listing the branches agrees.
>
> hendrik@midwinter:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
> hendrik@midwinter:~$
>
> The thing is, listing the branches on the server does *not* agree:
>
> hendrik@april:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
> com.pooq.topoi.howto
> hendrik@april:~$
>
> (yes, the computer identifying itself as april in indeed also topoi.
> That's not the problem)
>
> Somehow I've missed out on doing something.  I'm hoping other eyes will
> see what I don't.
>
> Here's are the relevant usher stanzas I use on the server
>
> userpass        "hendrik" "notmypassword"
> monotone        "/usr/bin/mtn" "-k" "[hidden email]"
> listenaddr      "0.0.0.0:4691"
> adminaddr       "127.0.0.3:12345"
> logdir          "/farhome/hendrik/monotone/usher-log/"
>
> server          "howto"
> host            "0.0.0.0"
> pattern         "com.pooq.topoi.howto"
> local           "-d" "/farhome/hendrik/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn"
>
> -- hendrik

Re: Trouble cloning

Brian May-11
Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> writes:

> mtn: misuse: branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.howto' is empty
> com.pooq.topoi.howto

The branch name you used on the client looks different to the branch
name the server shows.

s/hendrik/topoi/
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Solved. Sorry for the width of bandwidth (was: Trouble cloning

Hendrik Boom-2
Never mind!  I found the problem.  Misspelled branch name.
Ouch!  Why did it take me a whole day to figure this out.

-- hendrik

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 05:17:19PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I seem to have a data base that I can sync with (from one client system)
> but cannot clone (to another ckient system).  Is this worth preserving
> to find out why monotone exhibits thie strange behaviour?  If so, I'll
> try to keep it aroung for analysis.  If not, I'll just delete it.
>
> -- hendrik
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 08:03:23AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > I'm sorry to be asking basic usage questions again.
> >
> > I have no trouble with the everyday use of monotone -- mind you, the
> > everyday commands are add, drop, sync, and update and they are pretty
> > simple once everything has been set up.
> >
> > But I don't clone often.  I don't set up new databases often, and I
> > regret to say that I still need to ask on this list every time I do it.
> > I always seem to do something wrong.
> >
> > Today it's cloning a database from a server to a new machine.
> >
> > Is clone even the right way to do this?  I could perhaps fall back
> > to the more specific nonamalgameted commands.
> >
> > hendrik@midwinter:~$ mtn clone --db=~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn --key [hidden email] mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto?com.pooq.hendrik.howto --branch=com.pooq.hendrik.howto howto
> > mtn: connecting to 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
> > mtn:   include pattern  'com.pooq.hendrik.howto'
> > mtn:   exclude pattern  ''
> > mtn: finding items to synchronize:
> > mtn: successful exchange with 'mtn://topoi.pooq.com/howto'
> > mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in
> > mtn:       351 |       701 |      0/0
> > mtn: misuse: branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.howto' is empty
> > hendrik@midwinter:~$
> >
> > and listing the branches agrees.
> >
> > hendrik@midwinter:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
> > hendrik@midwinter:~$
> >
> > The thing is, listing the branches on the server does *not* agree:
> >
> > hendrik@april:~$ mtn -d ~/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn list branches
> > com.pooq.topoi.howto
> > hendrik@april:~$
> >
> > (yes, the computer identifying itself as april in indeed also topoi.
> > That's not the problem)
> >
> > Somehow I've missed out on doing something.  I'm hoping other eyes will
> > see what I don't.
> >
> > Here's are the relevant usher stanzas I use on the server
> >
> > userpass        "hendrik" "notmypassword"
> > monotone        "/usr/bin/mtn" "-k" "[hidden email]"
> > listenaddr      "0.0.0.0:4691"
> > adminaddr       "127.0.0.3:12345"
> > logdir          "/farhome/hendrik/monotone/usher-log/"
> >
> > server          "howto"
> > host            "0.0.0.0"
> > pattern         "com.pooq.topoi.howto"
> > local           "-d" "/farhome/hendrik/.monotone/databases/howto.mtn"
> >
> > -- hendrik

Re: Trouble cloning

Hendrik Boom-2
On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 07:34:03AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > mtn: misuse: branch 'com.pooq.hendrik.howto' is empty
> > com.pooq.topoi.howto
>
> The branch name you used on the client looks different to the branch
> name the server shows.

Thanks.  I should have seen that.

-- hendrik