Trying to get a Nokia N79 to work

Godfrey

Hello

I have got a Nokia N79 and am trying to set it up to send sms's I am not wanting any thing fancy just to send me sms's in addition to the other notification methods I already employ for power outages loss of connectivity etc etc.

I have managed to get this far and am stuck

Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
Serial device: opening device /dev/ugen4.2
Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for device

No matter what I try I am unable to proceed beyond this point

Google is not much help here I was wondering what suggestions you guys might have.

Regards

Godfrey

[hidden email] ~ # usbconfig ; gnokii --identify
ugen0.1: <UHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen4.1: <EHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen3.1: <UHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <UHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <UHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen4.2: <N79 Nokia> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
GNOKII Version 0.6.31
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /usr/local/etc/gnokiirc.
phone instance config:
model = AT
port = /dev/ugen4.2
connection = serial
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 115200
serial_write_usleep = 5000
handshake = hardware
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 60
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
Serial device: opening device /dev/ugen4.2
Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for device
AT bus initialization failed (1)
Initialization failed (1)
Serial device: closing device
Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
Quitting.
Command failed.

Re: Trying to get a Nokia N79 to work

Baurzhan Ismagulov
Hello Godfrey,

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 02:01:37PM +0200, Godfrey wrote:

> I have got a Nokia N79 and am trying to set it up to send sms's I am not wanting any thing fancy just to send me sms's in addition to the other notification methods I already employ for power outages loss of connectivity etc etc.
>
> I have managed to get this far and am stuck
>
> Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
> Serial device: opening device /dev/ugen4.2
> Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> No matter what I try I am unable to proceed beyond this point

When I had problems with the cable connection, I was advised on this
list to use bluetooth. It helped.

If you don't want to use bluetooth, then the first step would be to
strace -f -o gnokii.log gnokii --identify (possibly even -e
trace=open,close,read,write,ioctl) to find out which ioctls FreeBSD
doesn't like (FWIW, I didn't have that problems under Linux). If I were
in your shoes, I'd try to return to FreeBSD lists with that information,
since the answer is probably not gnokii-specific.

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.

Re: Trying to get a Nokia N79 to work

Godfrey
Hello

Thank you for responding to my question.

I have given up on trying to get the N79 to work  I tried to get N70/E6-00
and a E90 to work

all with the same message Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl
for device I am using freebsd 10.0

I have written to the freebsd questions list.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards

Godfrey

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 02:01:37PM +0200, Godfrey wrote:
>> I have got a Nokia N79 and am trying to set it up to send sms's I am not
>> wanting any thing fancy just to send me sms's in addition to the other
>> notification methods I already employ for power outages loss of
>> connectivity etc etc.
>>
>> I have managed to get this far and am stuck
>>
>> Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
>> Serial device: opening device /dev/ugen4.2
>> Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>>
>> No matter what I try I am unable to proceed beyond this point
>
> When I had problems with the cable connection, I was advised on this
> list to use bluetooth. It helped.
>
> If you don't want to use bluetooth, then the first step would be to
> strace -f -o gnokii.log gnokii --identify (possibly even -e
> trace=open,close,read,write,ioctl) to find out which ioctls FreeBSD
> doesn't like (FWIW, I didn't have that problems under Linux). If I were
> in your shoes, I'd try to return to FreeBSD lists with that information,
> since the answer is probably not gnokii-specific.
>
> With kind regards,
> Baurzhan.

Re: Trying to get a Nokia N79 to work

Godfrey
Hello

Your advice was correct to appraoch the freebsd users group

The members advised me to try the various serial ports not the usb port ie
not /dev/ugen4.2

but rather port = /dev/cuaU0 which I did sequentially till I got one to to
work.

I thought I would give you the follow up on this incase you get asked again
in the future.

Thank you again for your assistance