Trying to install beta in CentOS 8 -- missing py3libacl, python3-pyxattr

Trying to install beta in CentOS 8 -- missing py3libacl, python3-pyxattr

Robert Nichols-2
Installing version 1.4.0b0-1-el8 from the frankcrawford COPR fails with missing dependencies py3libacl and python3-pyxattr. I'd really like to do some testing before 2.0 is released. What should I install? Python version on CentOS 8 is 3.6.8.

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                 Do NOT delete it.

Re: Trying to install beta in CentOS 8 -- missing py3libacl, python3-pyxattr

Reio Remma
Hello!

I’m running rdiff-backup beta in a CentOS 8 LXC that I installed from the .whl file under releases. There were no problems installing that.

Good luck.,
Reio

> On 5. Jan 2020, at 23:12, Robert Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Installing version 1.4.0b0-1-el8 from the frankcrawford COPR fails with missing dependencies py3libacl and python3-pyxattr. I'd really like to do some testing before 2.0 is released. What should I install? Python version on CentOS 8 is 3.6.8.
>
> --
> Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
>                Do NOT delete it.

Re: Trying to install beta in CentOS 8 -- missing py3libacl, python3-pyxattr

Marcin Zajączkowski
CCing Dan which introduced python3-pyxattr in EPEL some time ago.

On 2020-01-05 22:12, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Installing version 1.4.0b0-1-el8 from the frankcrawford COPR fails with
> missing dependencies py3libacl and python3-pyxattr. I'd really like to
> do some testing before 2.0 is released. What should I install? Python
> version on CentOS 8 is 3.6.8.

The problem could be that python3-pyxattr seems to be available (as a
released package) only in EPEL77:
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/python3-pyxattr

> Release Latest Released Version Version in Testing
...> Fedora EPEL 8 None None
> Fedora EPEL 7   0.6.1-1.el7 None

Maybe Dan could say more what is a status of python3-pyxattr in CentOS 8?

Regarding py3libacl it could be more tricky as I (as the maintainer of
pylibacl and pyxaatr in Fedora) don't use CentOS/RHEL on a daily basis
and I wouldn't like to take the responsibility for py3libacl in EPEL.

However, I might me completely wrong with the CentOS/Stream/EPEL stuff
and maybe both those packages can be already installed from some other
more or less official repository. Hopefully Dan can say something more
about that.

Marcin

On 1/5/20 5:00 PM, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:

> CCing Dan which introduced python3-pyxattr in EPEL some time ago.
>
> On 2020-01-05 22:12, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> Installing version 1.4.0b0-1-el8 from the frankcrawford COPR fails with
>> missing dependencies py3libacl and python3-pyxattr. I'd really like to
>> do some testing before 2.0 is released. What should I install? Python
>> version on CentOS 8 is 3.6.8.
>
> The problem could be that python3-pyxattr seems to be available (as a
> released package) only in EPEL77:
> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/python3-pyxattr

Yes, I first tried in CentOS 7, but it's still missing py3libacl.

Looks like I'll have to figure out how to install a .whl file, but isn't that going to leave me without py3libacl, which I believe is a binary and not a python script, and I'm not sure pyxattr is going to be included. I need to have both ACLs and extended attributes supported. Really, I'd much rather be testing this in CentOS 7, since my CentOS 8 VM is proving quite troublesome (can't get DNS to start up consistently).

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                 Do NOT delete it.

Re: Trying to install beta in CentOS 8 -- missing py3libacl, python3-pyxattr

EricZolf
Hi,

You could simply install the libraries with pip: `sudo pip3 install pylibacl pyxattr` (or with `pip3 install --user ...` if you only want to use rdiff-backup under one specific user). Just make sure you don't install both via rpm and pip. The README [1] describes how to install the wheel.

@Frank the dependencies py3libacl and python3-pyxattr of the RPM should only be recommendations IMHO

Hope this helps, Eric

[1] https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup#on-linux

On January 6, 2020 4:26:40 AM UTC, Robert Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 1/5/20 5:00 PM, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
>> CCing Dan which introduced python3-pyxattr in EPEL some time ago.
>>
>> On 2020-01-05 22:12, Robert Nichols wrote:
>>> Installing version 1.4.0b0-1-el8 from the frankcrawford COPR fails
>with
>>> missing dependencies py3libacl and python3-pyxattr. I'd really like
>>> do some testing before 2.0 is released. What should I install?
>Python
>>> version on CentOS 8 is 3.6.8.
>>
>> The problem could be that python3-pyxattr seems to be available (as a
>> released package) only in EPEL77:
>> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/python3-pyxattr
>
>Yes, I first tried in CentOS 7, but it's still missing py3libacl.
>
>Looks like I'll have to figure out how to install a .whl file, but
>isn't that going to leave me without py3libacl, which I believe is a
>binary and not a python script, and I'm not sure pyxattr is going to be
>included. I need to have both ACLs and extended attributes supported.
>Really, I'd much rather be testing this in CentOS 7, since my CentOS 8
>VM is proving quite troublesome (can't get DNS to start up
>consistently).

Re: Trying to install beta in CentOS 8 -- missing py3libacl, python3-pyxattr

Frank Crawford
I'll spin up versions for EPEL7 & 8 that have the packages optional,
but I'll also have a quick look at making the available via copr, since
they build for F32 with no issues.
Frank
On Mon, 2020-01-06 at 09:18 +0000, EricZolf wrote:

> Hi,
> You could simply install the libraries with pip: `sudo pip3 install
> pylibacl pyxattr` (or with `pip3 install --user ...` if you only want
> to use rdiff-backup under one specific user). Just make sure you
> don't install both via rpm and pip. The README [1] describes how to
> install the wheel.
> @Frank the dependencies py3libacl and python3-pyxattr of the RPM
> should only be recommendations IMHO
> Hope this helps, Eric
> [1] https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup#on-linux
>
> On January 6, 2020 4:26:40 AM UTC, Robert Nichols <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 1/5/20 5:00 PM, Marcin Zajączkowski wrote:
> > > CCing Dan which introduced python3-pyxattr in EPEL some time ago.
> > with
> > Python
> > >
> > > The problem could be that python3-pyxattr seems to be available
> > > (as areleased package) only in EPEL77:
> > > https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/python3-pyxattr
> >
> > Yes, I first tried in CentOS 7, but it's still missing py3libacl.
> > Looks like I'll have to figure out how to install a .whl file,
> > butisn't that going to leave me without py3libacl, which I believe
> > is abinary and not a python script, and I'm not sure pyxattr is
> > going to beincluded. I need to have both ACLs and extended
> > attributes supported.Really, I'd much rather be testing this in
> > CentOS 7, since my CentOS 8VM is proving quite troublesome (can't
> > get DNS to start upconsistently).

Re: Trying to install beta in CentOS 8 -- missing py3libacl, python3-pyxattr

Frank Crawford
Okay, there are new copr versions of rdiff-backup which make the
dependencies recommended (F29,F30,F31& EPEL8) or drop them entirely
(EPEL7 as it does not have weak dependencies).
Please try and see what happens now.
I'll look at rebuilding the dependencies in the next few days.
Frank

On 1/6/20 3:18 AM, EricZolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You could simply install the libraries with pip: `sudo pip3 install pylibacl pyxattr` (or with `pip3 install --user ...` if you only want to use rdiff-backup under one specific user). Just make sure you don't install both via rpm and pip. The README [1] describes how to install the wheel.
>
> @Frank the dependencies py3libacl and python3-pyxattr of the RPM should only be recommendations IMHO
>
> Hope this helps, Eric
>
> [1] https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup#on-linux
>
> On January 6, 2020 4:26:40 AM UTC, Robert Nichols <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Looks like I'll have to figure out how to install a .whl file, but
>> isn't that going to leave me without py3libacl, which I believe is a
>> binary and not a python script, and I'm not sure pyxattr is going to be
>> included. I need to have both ACLs and extended attributes supported.

I am far, far away from getting this to install. "pip3 install pyxattr" fails with:
    acl.c:23:10: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory

All attempts to install rdiff-backup fail with:
    No matching distribution found for rdiff-backup-1.4.0{whatever I try}-linux_x86.64

If I include the .whl suffix I just get "looks like a filename, but file does not exist".

I am way out of my territory here. I'm afraid I have to ask for the exact keystrokes to
type, without any "VERSION" placeholders or "ignore slight differences in versioning"
comments. My distro is CentOS 8, 64 bit.  Python version is 3.6.8.

I'd rather not wait for the official release in order to find the hard-link problems
that I am 99% sure I will find.

On 1/11/20 3:00 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:

> I am far, far away from getting this to install. "pip3 install pyxattr" fails with:
>     acl.c:23:10: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
>
> All attempts to install rdiff-backup fail with:
>     No matching distribution found for rdiff-backup-1.4.0{whatever I try}-linux_x86.64
>
> If I include the .whl suffix I just get "looks like a filename, but file does not exist".
>
> I am way out of my territory here. I'm afraid I have to ask for the exact keystrokes to
> type, without any "VERSION" placeholders or "ignore slight differences in versioning"
> comments. My distro is CentOS 8, 64 bit.  Python version is 3.6.8.
>
> I'd rather not wait for the official release in order to find the hard-link problems
> that I am 99% sure I will find.

OK, I got past installing the -devel packages needed to build pylibacl and pyxattr.
I am still no closer to intalling the rdiff-backup beta itself.

On 1/11/20 4:03 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:

> On 1/11/20 3:00 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> I am far, far away from getting this to install. "pip3 install pyxattr" fails with:
>>     acl.c:23:10: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
>>
>> All attempts to install rdiff-backup fail with:
>>     No matching distribution found for rdiff-backup-1.4.0{whatever I try}-linux_x86.64
>>
>> If I include the .whl suffix I just get "looks like a filename, but file does not exist".
>>
>> I am way out of my territory here. I'm afraid I have to ask for the exact keystrokes to
>> type, without any "VERSION" placeholders or "ignore slight differences in versioning"
>> comments. My distro is CentOS 8, 64 bit.  Python version is 3.6.8.
>>
>> I'd rather not wait for the official release in order to find the hard-link problems
>> that I am 99% sure I will find.
>
> OK, I got past installing the -devel packages needed to build pylibacl and pyxattr.
> I am still no closer to intalling the rdiff-backup beta itself.

Well, I finally found the list of wheel files, picked the right one, and got rdiff-backup
installed in CentOS 8. Now I can begin testing.

On 1/11/20 5:16 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:

> On 1/11/20 4:03 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> On 1/11/20 3:00 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>>> I am far, far away from getting this to install. "pip3 install pyxattr" fails with:
>>>     acl.c:23:10: fatal error: Python.h: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> All attempts to install rdiff-backup fail with:
>>>     No matching distribution found for rdiff-backup-1.4.0{whatever I try}-linux_x86.64
>>>
>>> If I include the .whl suffix I just get "looks like a filename, but file does not exist".
>>>
>>> I am way out of my territory here. I'm afraid I have to ask for the exact keystrokes to
>>> type, without any "VERSION" placeholders or "ignore slight differences in versioning"
>>> comments. My distro is CentOS 8, 64 bit.  Python version is 3.6.8.
>>>
>>> I'd rather not wait for the official release in order to find the hard-link problems
>>> that I am 99% sure I will find.
>>
>> OK, I got past installing the -devel packages needed to build pylibacl and pyxattr.
>> I am still no closer to intalling the rdiff-backup beta itself.
>
> Well, I finally found the list of wheel files, picked the right one, and got rdiff-backup
> installed in CentOS 8. Now I can begin testing.

And instantly I run into a bug. For each of the hard linked files under /var/lib/yum/yumdb
I get an error "Updated mirror temp file ... does not match source, and all of the files
are stored individually (not hard linked) in the archive.

Where is the official bug reporting tool?

On 12/01/2020 02:08, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Where is the official bug reporting tool?

Robert created https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/issues/237
and the discussion continues there for anybody interested...

KR, Eric

Re: Trying to install beta in CentOS 8 -- missing py3libacl, python3-pyxattr

Frank Crawford
For those interested, I've now built both python3-pyxattr and py3libacl
in COPR, which you can install by downloading the relevant repo files
from https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/frankcrawford/  for bth
EPEL7 and EPEL8.
Note that I haven't tested them too much so far.
RegardsFrank