Unable to call US SIP number from India

Nishant ghosh
Hi, I am unable to call on a US SIP number from India using linphone desktop app but the call is not reaching to my friend in USA. Is this calling free of charge or I need to purchase any membership plan ? Please respond urgently.

Regards
Nishant Ghosh

Re: Unable to call US SIP number from India

Stuart D Gathman
On Wed, 15 Apr 2020, Nishant ghosh wrote:

> Hi, I am unable to call on a US SIP number from India using linphone desktop
> app but the call is not reaching to my friend in USA. Is this calling free
> of charge or I need to purchase any membership plan ? Please respond

If by "SIP number" you mean one of those ancient "telephone" numbers
from the early 20th century, then yes, you need a paid service that
connects SIP to POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service).

An actual SIP number like [hidden email] is a free service
at present for 2 party calls.  (Conference calls require more server
involvement and are often paid.)

You can also do peer to peer using IPv6 raw IPs (or public IPv4 IPs).
That doesn't not require any service at all (other than internet).

Re: Unable to call US SIP number from India

Nishant ghosh
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The SIP addresses are :- [hidden email]

I am getting the error "unable to authenticate. Please verify your password."
Screenshot attached for your reference.

Please let me know where am I doing mistake in making the call ?

Best Regards
Nishant

On Wed, 15 Apr, 2020, 4:55 AM Stuart D Gathman, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2020, Nishant ghosh wrote:

> Hi, I am unable to call on a US SIP number from India using linphone desktop
> app but the call is not reaching to my friend in USA. Is this calling free
> of charge or I need to purchase any membership plan ? Please respond

If by "SIP number" you mean one of those ancient "telephone" numbers
from the early 20th century, then yes, you need a paid service that
connects SIP to POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service).

An actual SIP number like [hidden email] is a free service
at present for 2 party calls.  (Conference calls require more server
involvement and are often paid.)

You can also do peer to peer using IPv6 raw IPs (or public IPv4 IPs).
That doesn't not require any service at all (other than internet).

IMG_20200415_111146.jpg (13M) Download Attachment

Re: Unable to call US SIP number from India

Greg Troxel
Nishant ghosh <[hidden email]> writes:

> The SIP addresses are :- [hidden email]
>
> I am getting the error "unable to authenticate. Please verify your
> password."
> Screenshot attached for your reference.
>
> Please let me know where am I doing mistake in making the call ?

Your mistake is asking here instead of the support contacts for
sip.phone.systems, whatever that is -- but it appears to be a telephony
provider of some sort.

Seriously, linphone is a SIP client.  linphone provides a free sip-only
service, with an account that looks like [hidden email].

There is no SIP->PSTN gateway associated with linphone the project.
However, I know it works with at least one provider.

Re: Unable to call US SIP number from India

Nishant ghosh
Thank you for the clarification.