Undefined symbols when run under ttylinux.

Undefined symbols when run under ttylinux.

Alan Kilian

    Gents,

        I am hoping you can give me some advise on how to proceed
        getting tcc running under ttylinux.

        I can compile tcc under Fedora-core-3 and it works fine.
        When I copy the installation files to a ttylinux system,
        I get the following errors when compiling a minimal program:

        %  tcc  -o a a.c
        tcc: undefined symbol '__libc_csu_fini'
        tcc: undefined symbol '__libc_csu_init'

        I found these symbols in /usr/lib/linb.a on my system, and
        when I copy this file to the ttylinux machine, I get the
        following error:

        % tcc  -o a a.c
        /usr/lib/libc.a: '_dl_tls_static_size' defined twice

        I REALLY don't want to have to install the whole monster
        gcc tool chain for this nice tiny compact-flash based machine.

        Can anyone give me some hints on where to look for the
        solution?

        This e-mail archive showed two people with this problem, but no
        solutions.

        Should I try an older Fedora-core set of libraries?

        Thank you for all your effort in getting this project working.

                                -Alan

--
- Alan Kilian <kilian(at)bobodyne.com>

Re: Undefined symbols when run under ttylinux.

dave dodge-3
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 05:26:36PM -0500, Alan Kilian wrote:
> I can compile tcc under Fedora-core-3 and it works fine.
> When I copy the installation files to a ttylinux system,
> I get the following errors when compiling a minimal program:
>
> %  tcc  -o a a.c
> tcc: undefined symbol '__libc_csu_fini'
> tcc: undefined symbol '__libc_csu_init'

My guess would be a glibc compatibility problem.  On both systems, try
running "/lib/libc.so.6" as if it were a program.  That should tell
you the glibc versions you've got installed.  If the version numbers are
much different, that's probably what's causing the trouble.

ttylinux claims to have glibc 2.3.5 available, which is the current
release and is probably very close to what FC3 uses; if you're running
an old version of ttylinux with some older glibc, you might consider
upgrading it.

                                                  -Dave Dodge

Re: Undefined symbols when run under ttylinux.

crcthought
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 17:26 -0500, Alan Kilian wrote:
>     Gents,
>
> I am hoping you can give me some advise on how to proceed
> getting tcc running under ttylinux.
>
> I can compile tcc under Fedora-core-3 and it works fine.
> When I copy the installation files to a ttylinux system,
> I get the following errors when compiling a minimal program:

Have you considered doing a static compile?

Otherwise, you'll have to set up a specific environment for your
compiler that has the exact libraries from your ttylinux system and ONLY
those libs so that you can link against the same libraries you have
access to.

You can't install many FC4 RPMs on a FC3 system, and they are likely
much more similar than your target system.  Linux just doesn't have the
kind of binary compatibility that some systems have.  Compile against
the exact libs or you are tossing a coin.