Upcoming version woes

Ed Greenberg
I realize that there are going to be lots of complaints, and I hope
you'll find the time to answer these questions.

All of my servers are centos 7 with epel repo.  It's time for our
monthly maintenance window. Last updates were in April.

Clients and servers have been running:

rdiff-backup.x86_64 1.2.8-13.el7                   @epel

Two test servers were updated to 2.0.0 about 30 minutes ago, and crash
now with errors and tracebacks:

Exception '('object.__new__(X): X is not a type object (classobj)',
<function _reconstructor at 0x7f5d6b14fa28>, (<class
rdiff_backup.connection.ConnectionRequest at 0x7f5d5f09aa78>, <type
'object'>, None))' raised of class '<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>':

culminating in:

  This message may also be displayed if the remote
version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (2.0.0).

which of course it is.

So do I update the backups server to 2.0.0 before updating clients? Can
I be confident of having backups after I upgrade everything?

Should I version lock all our servers to 1.2.8?

Maintenance window is at 5 AM ET tomorrow.

Also, since the 1.2.8 packages are no longer in the repo, I can't
downgrade the two servers that I upgraded, so I will have no backups on
them tonight. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed Greenberg

Re: Upcoming version woes

EricZolf
Hi,

If you can upgrade all at once, there is no reason it shouldn't work, but this is no guarantee.
Else you can try to install the v1 compatibility versions from Frank's COPR repo (discussed on this mailing list).

Eric