Update errors on non-changing files

foomanchu
I'm using rdiff backup for the first time on a mac osx system.  One
machine is running version 1.1.3 the other is running 1.1.4
while I have the remote disk locally mounted I'm not using that.
Instead I'm running rdiff backup in the usual way via ssh rdiff-
backup --server

I get two kinds of error messages.  One of them is an update error
that differs from the kind discussed in the wiki (for log files and
other rapidly changing files).
the files causing the error are old files that have not been touched
in months.

the destination for the backup is an empty directory with no previous
backups in it.

here's some sample error messages.  I get lots of these:

UpdateError Clustermatic.cdr Updated mirror temp file /Volumes/big/
cems/cems/rdiff-backup.tmp.1758 does not match source
UpdateError DCIM/137CANON/IMG_3724_b.JPG Updated mirror temp file /
Volumes/big/cems/cems/;068;067;073;077/137;067;065;078;079;078/rdiff-
backup.tmp.1791 does not match source

Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/
Desktop_sweep/this-sign-has-sharp-edges.jpg alias
Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/
Desktop_sweep/unpack.pl
Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/IMG_2281.JPG

case sensitivity

foomanchu
When I backup from one macintosh HFS formatted machine to another HFS
formatted machine the file names come with whacked names:

for example:

BBEdit.app

gets backed up with the name:

;066;066;069dit.app

Obviously it has something to do with case sensitivity.  But this
makes things pretty much unreadable.  What causes this and how do I
eliminate it?

I suspect the issue might be that there are two flavors of HFS one
can use.  One is Case-Preserving Case-Insensitve HFS (the macintosh
default) and the other is Case-Sensitive HFS (like ext3 or most linux
fs).

For those that don't know the difference is this.  In case-
insensitive HFS the file ReadMe and readme and README are the same
file, buts it's name is preserved in the smae case as it was first
created (and not reduced to say all uppercase or lower case).  The
upshot is the README and readme cannot coexist in the same file. So
untarring or copying from a linux system that has two files that
differ only in case will cause one to be deleted.  If you use case-
sensitive then it's just like most linux fs.

However, it seems like rdiff-backup could simply try to preserve the
case when it can since normally this is not an issue and it's the
rare exception where one has two files differing only by case.
Indeed no such exception can exist  if one is copying FROM a Case-
insensitve disk to a case-sensitive one.

So is this why this is happening and is there a setting that can fix
this.  virutally all my liberal filenames are unreadable as it
stands.  Is there a "no-mangle" flag?

Re: case sensitivity

Andrew Ferguson-3
Charlie Strauss wrote:
> When I backup from one macintosh HFS formatted machine to another HFS
> formatted machine the file names come with whacked names:

Try version 1.1.4, issues like this were addressed in that release. See:
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/CHANGELOG-devel

--
Andrew Ferguson - [hidden email]