Update errors

foomanchu
I'm using rdiff backup for the first time on a mac osx system.  One
machine is running version 1.1.3 the other is running 1.1.4
while I have the remote disk locally mounted I'm not using that.
Instead I'm running rdiff backup in the usual way via ssh rdiff-
backup --server

I get two kinds of error messages.  One of them is an update error
that differs from the kind discussed in the wiki (for log files and
other rapidly changing files).
the files causing the error are old files that have not been touched
in months.

the destination for the backup is an empty directory with no previous
backups in it.

here's some sample error messages.  I get lots of these:

UpdateError Clustermatic.cdr Updated mirror temp file /Volumes/big/
cems/cems/rdiff-backup.tmp.1758 does not match source
UpdateError DCIM/137CANON/IMG_3724_b.JPG Updated mirror temp file /
Volumes/big/cems/cems/;068;067;073;077/137;067;065;078;079;078/rdiff-
backup.tmp.1791 does not match source

Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/
Desktop_sweep/this-sign-has-sharp-edges.jpg alias
Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/
Desktop_sweep/unpack.pl
Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/IMG_2281.JPG

Re: Update errors

Ben Escoto

> I get two kinds of error messages.  One of them is an update error
> that differs from the kind discussed in the wiki (for log files and
> other rapidly changing files).
> the files causing the error are old files that have not been touched
> in months.
>
> the destination for the backup is an empty directory with no previous
> backups in it.
>
> here's some sample error messages.  I get lots of these:
>
> UpdateError Clustermatic.cdr Updated mirror temp file /Volumes/big/
> cems/cems/rdiff-backup.tmp.1758 does not match source
> UpdateError DCIM/137CANON/IMG_3724_b.JPG Updated mirror temp file /
> Volumes/big/cems/cems/;068;067;073;077/137;067;065;078;079;078/rdiff-
> backup.tmp.1791 does not match source
After rdiff-backup copies a file, it checks it afterwards to see if
its metadata matches the source.  If it doesn't, then an UpdateError
is raised.  If those rdiff-backup.tmp.XXX files are still around, you
can "stat" them to see why they don't match the originals.

A similar problem someone had a while ago is that their filesystems
would return inconsistent time information.  So if you statted a file
twice you could get two different mtimes.  That's probably not your
problem, but it's the kind of thing that could lead to a lot of
UpdateErrors.

> Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/
> Desktop_sweep/this-sign-has-sharp-edges.jpg alias
> Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/
> Desktop_sweep/unpack.pl
> Cannot read carbonfile information from /Users/cems/Desktop/IMG_2281.JPG

This is a Mac OS X specific problem (maybe the previous one too), I'm
not sure what would cause these problems.  There was a thread about
this on the mailing list a few weeks ago, but no one seemed to know.

--
Ben Escoto