Updating yaml egg from Chicken 4 to Chicken 5?

Updating yaml egg from Chicken 4 to Chicken 5?

T. Kurt Bond
There is a Chicken 4 egg yaml that wraps libyaml.  The source from its gihub repo doesn't compile, because there is a missing <field spec> in a define-record-type form.  I submitted a issue about this at the github repo with a patch that changes one line and adds one line, which seems to fix the problem.  There is a fork of that github repo that also fixes the problem, but it hasn't been fixed in the original repo.

I'd like to see this as a Chicken 5 egg.  What is the proper way, considering the social and technical aspects of things, to getting this submitted as a Chicken 5 egg?

Re: Updating yaml egg from Chicken 4 to Chicken 5?

Mario Domenech Goulart-4
Hi,

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 15:17:33 -0500 "T. Kurt Bond" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a Chicken 4 egg yaml that wraps libyaml.  The source from its gihub repo doesn't compile, because there is a missing <field spec> in a
> define-record-type form.  I submitted a issue about this at the github repo with a patch that changes one line and adds one line, which seems to fix
> the problem.  There is a fork of that github repo that also fixes the problem, but it hasn't been fixed in the original repo.
>
> I'd like to see this as a Chicken 5 egg.  What is the proper way, considering the social and technical aspects of things, to getting this submitted as
> a Chicken 5 egg?

The proper way would be contacting the author of the egg to see how to
proceed.

It should be possible to have the code in the same repository/branch to
support both CHICKEN 4 and 5.  If the author wants to support that, it's
just a matter of applying patches to do so.

If the author is only interested in maintaining support for CHICKEN 4, a
fork with support for CHICKEN 5 can be created.

If the author does not want to maintain the egg any longer, the egg
repository can presumably be forked.

If the author decides to go with the approach of having the code to
support both CHICKEN 4 and 5 in the same repository, the egg should be
tested with both CHICKEN versions (see test-new-egg -- it's
available for both CHICKEN 4 [1] and 5 [2]).

[1] http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/test-new-egg
[2] http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/test-new-egg

All the best.
Mario
http://parenteses.org/mario

Re: Updating yaml egg from Chicken 4 to Chicken 5?

Vasilij Schneidermann-2
> I'd like to see this as a Chicken 5 egg.  What is the proper way,
> considering the social and technical aspects of things, to getting this
> submitted as a Chicken 5 egg?

I've received two emails about PRs I've handed in for C5 compatibility
being merged:

- https://github.com/tenderlove/chicken-yaml/pull/9#event-4158277799
- https://github.com/tenderlove/chicken-yaml/pull/10#event-4158267744

There's been commits after that as well. I've checked out master and ran
the C5 versions of `salmonella` and `test-new-egg` successfully there.
Therefore I'd advise not being hasty, the author might submit the egg
for C5 soonish and even if they don't end up doing so, just remind them
about it.

Vasilij

Re: Updating yaml egg from Chicken 4 to Chicken 5?

T. Kurt Bond
Great, thanks!