Use of libupnp

Bernhard Schmidt
Hi,

in Debian we're still trying to get the latest version of linphone into
the next Debian release. One issue that is currently confusing us
(because it means linphone intersects with the upgrade of libupnp 1.6 to
1.8) is the use of libupnp.

There is code in current liblinphone and mediastreamer2's configure.ac
to check the libupnp version and bail out on 1.8. There is also code
using libupnp functions still in mediastreamer2/src/upnp, which needs to
be patched but is guarded by "if BUILD_UPNP", which AFAICT is never
checked/set by CMake. Our builds don't link to libupnp either, neither
the old nor the new version of it.

Is all of this dead code or did I miss something?

Bernhard

Re: Use of libupnp

jehan.monnier
Hi Bernhard,

> Le 4 oct. 2018 à 08:43, Bernhard Schmidt <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> in Debian we're still trying to get the latest version of linphone into
> the next Debian release. One issue that is currently confusing us
> (because it means linphone intersects with the upgrade of libupnp 1.6 to
> 1.8) is the use of libupnp.

That’s great, thank you.

> There is code in current liblinphone and mediastreamer2's configure.ac
> to check the libupnp version and bail out on 1.8. There is also code
> using libupnp functions still in mediastreamer2/src/upnp, which needs to
> be patched but is guarded by "if BUILD_UPNP", which AFAICT is never
> checked/set by CMake. Our builds don't link to libupnp either, neither
> the old nor the new version of it.
>
> Is all of this dead code or did I miss something?

I do confirm UPNP’s code is almost « dead », we keep it just in case.
So I recommend to not compile UPNP code.
Does it clarify ?

> Bernhard

Jehan
www.linphone.org

New release?

Bernhard Schmidt
Am 04.10.18 um 11:19 schrieb Jehan Monnier:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
>> Le 4 oct. 2018 à 08:43, Bernhard Schmidt <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in Debian we're still trying to get the latest version of linphone into
>> the next Debian release. One issue that is currently confusing us
>> (because it means linphone intersects with the upgrade of libupnp 1.6 to
>> 1.8) is the use of libupnp.
>>

> That’s great, thank you.

We have managed to get Linphone 3.12 into Debian unstable today, so if
everything goes well we'll release with Buster mid-2019.

One thing that has come up during this is that most of the currently
released (!) linphone stack fails to build with GCC-8 due to new
warnings being introduced. Most of it seems to be resolved in git, but
there are so many changes and large rework being done that I have doubts
about our ability to backport security fixes if this came up.

We have until end of year to get the newest version into Debian for the
release. That would be closer to the current git state and probably
allow for easier backporting. Do you plan to tag a release of the
linphone stack anytime soon?

Bernhard