Use two monitors for StumpWM

Stefan Reichör
Hi all,

I try to setup stumpwm to use two monitors but attempts so far didn't work.

Here is what I try:

I put the following in my ~/.xsession file:

,----

`----

,----
| % xrandr
| Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3520 x 1200, maximum 32767 x 32767
| VGA1 connected 1600x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 408mm x 306mm
|    1600x1200      60.0*+
|    1280x1024      85.0     75.0     60.0
|    1280x960       75.0
|    1152x864       75.0
|    1024x768       85.0     75.1     70.1     60.0
|    832x624        74.6
|    800x600        85.1     72.2     75.0     60.3     56.2
|    640x480        85.0     72.8     75.0     66.7     60.0
|    720x400        70.1
| HDMI1 connected 1920x1200+1600+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 519mm x 324mm
|    1920x1200      60.0*+
|    1600x1200      60.0
|    1680x1050      59.9
|    1600x1000      60.0
|    1280x1024      85.0     75.0     60.0
|    1280x960       60.0
|    1152x864       75.0
|    1152x720       60.0
|    1024x768       75.1     60.0
|    832x624        74.6
|    800x600        75.0     60.3
|    640x480        75.0     60.0
|    720x400        70.1
| DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
| HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
| DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
`----

StumpWM only uses the HDMI1 screen - I can move my mouse over to the VGA
screen but I have no idea how to put windows on the VGA screen.

Could someone please share a working setup or give a hint how I should
proceed.

Thanks,
  Stefan.

Use two monitors for StumpWM

Michael Raskin-3
>StumpWM only uses the HDMI1 screen - I can move my mouse over to the VGA
>screen but I have no idea how to put windows on the VGA screen.
>
>Could someone please share a working setup or give a hint how I should
>proceed.

Try simply moving to the other screen like you would move to a frame
after doing a split.

Re: Use two monitors for StumpWM

白い熊
"Stefan Reichör" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>StumpWM only uses the HDMI1 screen - I can move my mouse over to the
>VGA
>screen but I have no idea how to put windows on the VGA screen.
>
>Could someone please share a working setup or give a hint how I should
>proceed.

C-TAB to jump to the other monitor. Then create windows there in the regular way,  or C-t C-t to bring  up an existing window here.

--
白い熊

白い熊 <[hidden email]> writes:

> "Stefan Reichör" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>StumpWM only uses the HDMI1 screen - I can move my mouse over to the
>>VGA
>>screen but I have no idea how to put windows on the VGA screen.
>>
>>Could someone please share a working setup or give a hint how I should
>>proceed.
>
> C-TAB to jump to the other monitor. Then create windows there in the regular way,  or C-t C-t to bring  up an existing window here.

Thanks, this was the missing piece :-)

The stumpWM commands fnext and fother are required to move the focus to a different monitor.
They are bound to C-t TAB and C-t M-TAB on my setup!

Stefan.

Re: Use two monitors for StumpWM

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Michael Raskin <[hidden email]> writes:

>>StumpWM only uses the HDMI1 screen - I can move my mouse over to the VGA
>>screen but I have no idea how to put windows on the VGA screen.
>>
>>Could someone please share a working setup or give a hint how I should
>>proceed.
>
> Try simply moving to the other screen like you would move to a frame
> after doing a split.

Yup, multiple screens have always been indistinguishable from multiple
frames for me...

Re: Use two monitors for StumpWM

Michael Raskin-3
Ouch, the conversation was not copied to the list.

>Michael Raskin <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> <[hidden email]>)
>>
>>>Hi Michael,

>>>I have seen in the mailing list that you are always trying to help
>>>people with problems setting up two monitors.
>>
>> I _do_ use dual-monitor setup from time to time after all.
>>
>>>Whatever I tried up to now: I can operate only on one monitor. It seems
>>>that StumpWM does not see my 2nd monitor. The mode line is on the HDMI1
>>>screen (that is fine). But I see now way to move a window over to the
>>>VGA screen.
>>>
>>>Could you please give more details about the necessary commands?
>>
>> Have you mastered using «split» command in StumpWM? It is described
>> reasonably in them manual. Line between your monitors is just like
>> a split, but unremovable.
>
>I don't use split that often since I have a rather static window layout
>(mostly one window visible at a time)

>> launch programs in various frames.
>>
>> You can also use Alt-Direction instead of Direction to _move_ current
>> window between frames (including between outputs)
>
>These commands are really nice!
>
>One thing Thing that I need to solve now is the following:
>I use several groups but I want to keep a given window on one monitor,
>no matter what group I am using on the other monitor.

I do not know any way to ensure this behaviour with stock StumpWM

You could define custom group-switching commands that also pull the
needed window. Personally, I use a big set of custom modules on top of
StumpWM, and I have 3 areas of independent switching on my primary
monitor (relatively similar to what you want).

http://mtn-host.prjek.net/viewmtn/stumpwm-tagging/branch/changes/com.ignorelist.401a0bf1.raskin.stumpwm-config