User is temporary unavailable

Filippo Lombardo

Hello everybody on the list

I write because whenever I execute the command to launch linphone and I try to call a test number ( my mobile phone ) I get an error message.

Below it's what I see:

filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ sudo /usr/bin/linphone
[sudo] password for filippo:
ortp-warning-Fail to open file /usr/bin//../share/Linphone/linphonerc.factory
ALSA lib conf.c:4974:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib control.c:1373:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:0
ALSA lib conf.c:4974:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:0
ALSA lib conf.c:4974:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:0
ALSA lib conf.c:4974:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 1
ALSA lib control.c:1373:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:1
ALSA lib conf.c:4974:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 1
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:1
ALSA lib conf.c:4974:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 1
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:1

The error message that I get from the linphone GUI when I try to call a number is: "User is temporarily unavailable"

Could please someone on the list help me shed a beam of light on this issue ?

It's blocking; I tried to google around for days but I found no useful information

Thanks for your help

Kind regards

Re: User is temporary unavailable

Faiz Ali
This clearly shows ALSA is not installed.
Can you make sure ALSA is installed?
Present in the right directory?
Have execute permissions?

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020, Filippo Lombardo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

SANTHOSH BEJJALA
Hello Members,

I am having issue with linphone ios11, not getting incoming calls when it is in back ground.
Santhosh Bejjala

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 1:24 AM Faiz Ali <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Roland Haeder
On 11/04/2020 08:53 PM, Faiz Ali wrote:
> This clearly shows ALSA is not installed.
> Can you make sure ALSA is installed?
> Present in the right directory?
> Have execute permissions?
Should be installed on many Linux distros by default? Also a local
~/.asoundrc or ~/.alsoftrc could stop this from working.

> On Wednesday, November 4, 2020, Filippo Lombardo
>
>     Hello everybody on the list
>
>     I write because whenever I execute the command to launch linphone
>     and I try to call a test number ( my mobile phone ) I get an error
>     message.
>
>     Below it's what I see:
>
>     filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ sudo /usr/bin/linphone
>     [sudo] password for filippo:

Er, for Linhpone, no sudo is required, that's not an administrative
tool! Try it without sudo and get to the bottom of the problem, maybe a
"sudo adduser filippo sound" does it? Check what group /usr/bin/linphone
has.

Re: User is temporary unavailable

Filippo Lombardo

Hi Faiz Ali,

and thank you for pointing me in a direction to follow.

I never heard about ALSA: I will make a search on google to find relevant information,

as the right installation directory and the right permissions

Kind regards

On 11/04/2020 09:03 PM, Filippo Lombardo wrote:

> Hi Faiz Ali,
>
> and thank you for pointing me in a direction to follow.
>
> I never heard about ALSA: I will make a search on google to find
> relevant information,
>
> as the right installation directory and the right permissions
>
> Kind regards

Mostly you need to install the proper package and add your user to the
proper group (mostly "sound"). So no need to fiddle with permissions. :-)

Also show us the output of "ls -l /usr/bin/linphone" Then I can see what
permissions you have set.

Mine:
$ ls -l /usr/bin/linphone*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1324368 Oct 11  2018 /usr/bin/linphone
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1115736 Oct 11  2018 /usr/bin/linphonec
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   14328 Oct 11  2018 /usr/bin/linphonecsh
$

Means, no need to execute with sudo! Maybe that's the cause.

Re: User is temporary unavailable

linphone-users mailing list
On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 09:03:14PM +0100, Filippo Lombardo wrote:
> Hi Faiz Ali,
>

> I never heard about ALSA: I will make a search on google to find relevant
> information,

https://www.alsa-project.org/

ael

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 09:11:44PM +0100, Roland Häder wrote:
> Mostly you need to install the proper package and add your user to the
> proper group (mostly "sound"). So no need to fiddle with permissions. :-)

Worth checking, but those error messages don't sound like permissions.

aplay -l

will list the alsa devices on a system (see man aplay) and that may
throw some light on the problems.

I assume that you don't have pulseaudio on your system: just say no :-)
If pulseaudio *is* there, you could try getting linphone to use that
if it happens to work. Many people try to purge pulseaudio...

But I am not an expert on any of this.

ael

Re: User is temporary unavailable

Filippo Lombardo
Hi Roland,

thank you very much for your contribution.

It happens that if I call the application with the simple line
/usr/bin/linphone and then I configure the application by means its
wizard putting inside their fields the three information of a SIP
account I have ( username;password; domain ) on the next re-call of the
application with the same command all the configured information are
gone away.

I have installed version 3.6.1 of linphone

Kind regards

On 04/11/20 21:01, Roland Häder wrote:

> On 11/04/2020 08:53 PM, Faiz Ali wrote:
>> This clearly shows ALSA is not installed.
>> Can you make sure ALSA is installed?
>> Present in the right directory?
>> Have execute permissions?
> Should be installed on many Linux distros by default? Also a local
> ~/.asoundrc or ~/.alsoftrc could stop this from working.
>
>> On Wednesday, November 4, 2020, Filippo Lombardo
>>
>>      Hello everybody on the list
>>
>>      I write because whenever I execute the command to launch linphone
>>      and I try to call a test number ( my mobile phone ) I get an error
>>      message.
>>
>>      Below it's what I see:
>>
>>      filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ sudo /usr/bin/linphone
>>      [sudo] password for filippo:
>>
> Er, for Linhpone, no sudo is required, that's not an administrative
> tool! Try it without sudo and get to the bottom of the problem, maybe a
> "sudo adduser filippo sound" does it? Check what group /usr/bin/linphone
> has.

Re: User is temporary unavailable

Filippo Lombardo

Hi Roland,

here below is my output

filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/linphone*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 228288 feb 27  2018 /usr/bin/linphone
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  89832 feb 27  2018 /usr/bin/linphonec
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  14328 feb 27  2018 /usr/bin/linphonecsh

Kind regards

On 04/11/20 21:11, Roland Häder wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ael also for your contribution

Kind regards

On 04/11/20 21:19, ael via Linphone-users wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 09:03:14PM +0100, Filippo Lombardo wrote:
>> Hi Faiz Ali,
>>

>> I never heard about ALSA: I will make a search on google to find relevant
>> information,
> https://www.alsa-project.org/
>
> ael

Re: User is temporary unavailable

Filippo Lombardo
Thanks Ael also for this input

Kind regards

On 11/04/2020 09:30 PM, ael via Linphone-users wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 09:11:44PM +0100, Roland Häder wrote:
>> Mostly you need to install the proper package and add your user to the
>> proper group (mostly "sound"). So no need to fiddle with permissions. :-)
> Worth checking, but those error messages don't sound like permissions.
>
> aplay -l
>
> will list the alsa devices on a system (see man aplay) and that may
> throw some light on the problems.
>
> I assume that you don't have pulseaudio on your system: just say no :-)
> If pulseaudio *is* there, you could try getting linphone to use that
> if it happens to work. Many people try to purge pulseaudio...
>
> But I am not an expert on any of this.
>
> ael
Pulseaudio gave me also a lot headaches here. For example MPlayer was
playing back videos with stuttering sound, once I uninstalled PA, the
sound was playing back smoothly (ALSA).

Pulseaudio seem to "block" the sound device, means reserves it
exclusively to itself. I only needed PA for OBS to work (playback own
spoken words), else I run perfectly fine without it.

Roland

Re: User is temporary unavailable

Peio Rigaux

Hello.

Sorry for the belated answer, I have been very busy in the last months.

Could you please describe your issue in details ?

I will need you to answer to several questions :

Are you using sip.linphone.org free SIP server ?

Which version of Linphone are you using ?

Could you enable debug logs, reproduce the issue, then send me the logs ?

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior Software Engineer
Linphone.org

Le 04/11/2020 à 20:59, SANTHOSH BEJJALA a écrit :
Hello Members,

I am having issue with linphone ios11, not getting incoming calls when it is in back ground.
Santhosh Bejjala

0x99D28356FED78143.asc (3K) Download Attachment