Using Quicklisp to install dependencies

Diogo F. S. Ramos
I was reading the README file from the git repository and I see that it
recommends using Quicklisp to install the dependencies.

I wonder, in a system like Debian, how one could use Quicklisp to
install these dependencies and also make stumpwm available to all the
users as I understand that such installed dependencies will reside
inside the particular user's home directory who compiled the sources.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos

Re: Using Quicklisp to install dependencies

Vladimir Sedach
The easiest and best way to let everyone on the same Unix system use
stumpwm is to build a stumpwm executable and let people share it.

Quicklisp only fetches the source code files. You can easily share one
Quicklisp directory by using symbolic links (I do this and it works
well) - for example you can have root install Quicklisp and then share
that directory. But then every user will have their own compiled
files, which are managed by ASDF. It's also possible to share the
compiled files, although it takes more configuration (I've never done
this). The problem is that I think out of all the implementations only
ECL can treat compiled files as Unix shared libraries, so unless you
do that the libraries aren't shared in memory.

If you build a stumpwm executable it will "just work" and the memory
pages will not be duplicated if multiple people run stumpwm at the
same time. This (single executable, with maybe some shared libraries)
is sort of the Unix way of doing it, but is also a very leaky
abstraction.

Vladimir