Using a Different Configuration File

Austin Seraphin, KA3TTT
I installed TLF from the Arch User Repository. The first time I ran it,
it created ~/tlf, and copied a working file structure into it, including
rules, a logcfg.dat, and other files. I successfully edited the
logcfg.dat and began using it, but I can't seem to figure out how to use
another log file. I tried the obvious way of copying logcfg.dat to a new
file, say qrpfoxhunt.dat, and invoking with

tlf -f qrpfoxhunt.dat

I then read the older documentation, which suggested setting up a
directory structure. I created ~/tlf/qrpfoxhunt and moved the
qrpfoxhunt.dat to ~/tlf/qrpfoxhunt/logcfg.dat. I also copied in
rules/contest. I then tried a number of invocations:

tlf -f qrpfoxhunt

tlf -f ~/tlf/qrpfoxhunt

tlf -f ~/tlf/qrpfoxhunt/logcfg.dat

but nothing works. What have I missed?

I use a screen reader for the blind, and think this program would work
well for me.

Thanks for your help.

--
73, Austin, KA3TTT
https://ka3ttt.net

Re: Using a Different Configuration File

Thomas Beierlein-4
Hi Austin,

I had a look at the Arch repository. From there I think you have
a tlf-1.3.0 version.

You have two ways to solve your problem:

1. Drop the space between '-f' and the filename, e.g.

$ tlf -fqrpfoxhunt.dat

2. Use a separate directory, name the config file there just
'logcfg.dat' and call tlf without '-f'

$ mkdir ~/tlf/contestdir
$ cp logcfg.dat ~/tlf/contestdir
$ cd ~/tlf/contestdir

  adapt logcfg.dat as you like and finally just call

$ tlf

Hope that solves the problem.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea

Re: Using a Different Configuration File

Austin Seraphin, KA3TTT
Hi. Thanks for responding. The AUR has version 1.4.0. Neither solution
worked. No matter what it reads the default logcfg. file. Interestingly,
installing directly from source solved the problem. I use the first
method to have a separate logcfg.dat. Perfect, thanks! Perhaps the
package maintainer will read this.

--
73, Austin, KA3TTT
https://ka3ttt.net

Re: Using a Different Configuration File

Joop Stakenborg-2
Maybe the package manager decided to add a shell script to the package called "tlf". This shell script will then call the binary and create the appropriate directories before starting the tlf binary. This would explain the odd behaviour you are seeing.

73 de Joop PG4I

--
73, Austin, KA3TTT
https://ka3ttt.net