Verify is not working as expected, for me

Verify is not working as expected, for me

duplicity-talk mailing list

I've an odd problem, and was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

If I do a "verify" on my backups, I am told "nothing has changed" (even though I have both modified, deleted, and added files). Such as

Verify complete: 53659 files compared, 0 differences found.

If I use --compare-data, though, it appears to be correct, such as

Verify complete: 53659 files compared, 118 differences found.

What exactly is "verify" comparing, if --compare-data is not used?

Could it be related to some "file system" setting I have? (though, I have nothing special, that I know of).

Some cache that needs to be refreshed? (In both cases, duplicity reports "Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.")

Am I misunderstanding "verify"?

BTW, if I do a "status" and everything looks normal, at least to me, with no problems reported.

So far I've only ran with the default verbosity. Guess I'll try bumping that up to see if it reports anything of interest. But, I am a little concerned I am perhaps missing the point of "verify". Perhaps it just checks "database integrity", so to speak?

Thanks for any insights -- both to the issue and/or how to debug it (if it sounds like a bug).

Re: Verify is not working as expected, for me

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi David,

You are correct, verify by itself only verifies that the current backup can be recovered.  With --data-compare, it will also compare the backup's data against that on the file system.  This is to save time since the compare operation is expensive.

...Thanks,
...Ken

On 06/10/2017 05:45 AM, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> You are correct, verify by itself only verifies that the current
> backup can be recovered.  With --data-compare, it will also compare
> the backup's data against that on the file system.  This is to save
> time since the compare operation is expensive.
>
> ...Thanks,
> ...Ken

OK, thanks. Pretty confusing since the current behavior, in 7.12, is
contrary to examples [1] I've seen.

In addition to the behavior of "rsync" [2] which " ... finds files that
need to be transferred using a "quick check" algorithm (by default) that
looks for files that have changed in size or in last-modified time."

I was going to open a bug to improve the man page docs for 'verify' but
then saw a lot had already been opened and apparently resolved (or, in
progress?). Such as bug 1354880 [3]. I will point out, though, that the
"man page" changes mentioned in that bug 1354880 do not seem to be in
version 7.12, unless I have the wrong man pages installed, somehow. I
did install the Ubuntu 16.04 "distribution version" first, which is
quite old, at the 7.06 level and did try to 'purge' the old version
before installing the new 7.12 version, but, you know, I might have made
some mistake and I have not checked the source repository.

Thank you so much for clarifying!

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DuplicityBackupHowto#Verify
[2] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/rsync.1.html
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1354880