Very incomplete dumps in keyserver.mattrude.com

Very incomplete dumps in keyserver.mattrude.com

Gunnar Wolf
Hi,

While rebuilding my server, I downloaded the dumps available from the
first option listed¹. Not only is mattrude the first listed option,
but it seems to be the most up-to-date one.

¹ https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/wiki/KeydumpSources

Download bandwidth is terrible, but that would be OK (I just left the
server pulling overnight)... Were it not that it's serving a very
incomplete keyring (only a couple hundred megabytes).

So, please - either fix the dumps, or take them off, as they can be a
source of confusion (specially for new admins who don't yet know well
what to expect!)

Re: Very incomplete dumps in keyserver.mattrude.com

Cédric Félizard
On 12/30/2018 01:55 PM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> ¹ https://bitbucket.org/skskeyserver/sks-keyserver/wiki/KeydumpSources
>
> Download bandwidth is terrible, but that would be OK (I just left the
> server pulling overnight)... Were it not that it's serving a very
> incomplete keyring (only a couple hundred megabytes).
>
> So, please - either fix the dumps, or take them off, as they can be a
> source of confusion (specially for new admins who don't yet know well
> what to expect!)

I agree, I experienced the same confusion when I set up my own server
and found out that http://keys.niif.hu/keydump/ was the only fast and
up-to-date source at the time.

I added my own keydump at the end of that list, feel free to use it, it
should have 250+ Mbps bandwidth (depending on the time of the day.)

wget: https://mirror.cyberbits.eu/sks/dump/README.txt
rsync: rsync -av rsync://rsync.cyberbits.eu/sks/dump/ /var/lib/sks/dump/

Re: Very incomplete dumps in keyserver.mattrude.com

Rouing

Lemme be the first to THANK YOU for that @Cedric.

I just got mine pgp server up (Looking for peers still [pgp.rouing.me]) and that was my BIGGEST pain point. My cluster of servers is on a 10Gbit drop, so once I get more peers hopefully I too can help.