Video? Almost working...

Michael Frey
Has anyone been able to get video working?

I have linphone built with video support and I get so far as when
launching linphonec I get a video window whith local live video
playback.  (looks great!)

When I attempt to make a call, my machine freezes.  I know Video
support is experimental, but I was wondering if I could make it work
somehow.

Here is the output from the console:

c sip:[hidden email]
Contacting  sip:[hidden email]
linphonec> Message:CALL_RINGING

Warning:payload has no rtpmap.
Connected.
Message:ms_filter_add_link: OssRead,0 -> MULAWEncoder,0
Message:ms_filter_add_link: MULAWEncoder,0 -> RTPSend,0
Message:ms_filter_add_link: RTPRecv,0 -> MULAWDecoder,0
Message:ms_filter_add_link: MULAWDecoder,0 -> OssWrite,0
Message:Opening sound card [UCB1400 (Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture)] in capture mode with stereo=0,rate=8000,bits=16
Message:alsa_set_params:  blocksize=1024.
Message:Opening sound card [UCB1400 (Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture)] in playback mode with stereo=0,rate=8000,bits=16
Message:alsa_set_params:  blocksize=1024.
Message:Setting thread to realtime

Message:Mediastreamer processing thread is exiting.
Message:Video encoder created: 40b1c930
Message:ms_filter_add_link: msv4l,0 -> AVEncoder,0
Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVEncoder,0 -> RTPSend,0
Message:ms_filter_add_link: RTPRecv,0 -> AVdecoder,0
Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVdecoder,0 -> MSSdlOut,0
Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVEncoder,1 -> MSSdlOut,1
Message:Getting video channel ZC301-2
Message:Channel is a camera
Message:A valid video channel was found.
Message:Picture properties: depth=24, palette=4.
Message:Using 4-frames mmap'd buffer.
Warning:ms_filter_search_upstream_by_type: filter AVEncoder has no info.
Warning:ms_filter_search_upstream_by_type: filter AVEncoder has no info.
Warning:ms_rtp_send_setup: could not find upstream codec.
Message:Setting thread to realtime

Warning:Must catchup 95 miliseconds.
Warning:Must catchup 90 miliseconds.
Warning:Must catchup 81 miliseconds.
Warning:Must catchup 74 miliseconds.
Warning:Must catchup 66 miliseconds.
Warning:Must catchup 56 miliseconds.
Message:Using yuv overlay.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Re: Video? Almost working...

Simon Morlat
Hello,

It seems you were running linphonec as root, isn't it ?
I recommend not do that with experimental code, it can be the reason why your
machine freezes.
Try as a normal user and see what debug messages you have after that.

Simon

Le Mardi 25 Octobre 2005 15:42, Michael Frey a écrit :

> Has anyone been able to get video working?
>
> I have linphone built with video support and I get so far as when
> launching linphonec I get a video window whith local live video
> playback.  (looks great!)
>
> When I attempt to make a call, my machine freezes.  I know Video
> support is experimental, but I was wondering if I could make it work
> somehow.
>

> Here is the output from the console:
>
> c sip:[hidden email]
> Contacting  sip:[hidden email]
> linphonec> Message:CALL_RINGING
>
> Warning:payload has no rtpmap.
> Connected.
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: OssRead,0 -> MULAWEncoder,0
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: MULAWEncoder,0 -> RTPSend,0
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: RTPRecv,0 -> MULAWDecoder,0
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: MULAWDecoder,0 -> OssWrite,0
> Message:Opening sound card [UCB1400 (Advanced Linux Sound
> Architecture)] in capture mode with stereo=0,rate=8000,bits=16
> Message:alsa_set_params:  blocksize=1024.
> Message:Opening sound card [UCB1400 (Advanced Linux Sound
> Architecture)] in playback mode with stereo=0,rate=8000,bits=16
> Message:alsa_set_params:  blocksize=1024.
> Message:Setting thread to realtime
>
> Message:Mediastreamer processing thread is exiting.
> Message:Video encoder created: 40b1c930
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: msv4l,0 -> AVEncoder,0
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVEncoder,0 -> RTPSend,0
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: RTPRecv,0 -> AVdecoder,0
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVdecoder,0 -> MSSdlOut,0
> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVEncoder,1 -> MSSdlOut,1
> Message:Getting video channel ZC301-2
> Message:Channel is a camera
> Message:A valid video channel was found.
> Message:Picture properties: depth=24, palette=4.
> Message:Using 4-frames mmap'd buffer.
> Warning:ms_filter_search_upstream_by_type: filter AVEncoder has no info.
> Warning:ms_filter_search_upstream_by_type: filter AVEncoder has no info.
> Warning:ms_rtp_send_setup: could not find upstream codec.
> Message:Setting thread to realtime
>
> Warning:Must catchup 95 miliseconds.
> Warning:Must catchup 90 miliseconds.
> Warning:Must catchup 81 miliseconds.
> Warning:Must catchup 74 miliseconds.
> Warning:Must catchup 66 miliseconds.
> Warning:Must catchup 56 miliseconds.
> Message:Using yuv overlay.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Michael

Re: Video? Almost working...

Michael Frey
Simon,

I now have things working.  It turns out it was my v4l kernel
driver.  I now can send and receive video.  However there are two
issues.

1: Video does not work if behind a firewall -- while audio does.  Is
there something I can try to fix this?

2: The video packets being received are not quite right.  I get many
errors from the libavcodec when trying to decode the incomming
packets.  It is in the h.263 codec.  The image on the screen has some
of the correct picture but is mostly "garbage".

Could the encode be going wrong?  Or the RTP packets not being set up
correctly?  Does this work for you?

Michael

On Oct 27, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Simon Morlat wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems you were running linphonec as root, isn't it ?
> I recommend not do that with experimental code, it can be the
> reason why your
> machine freezes.
> Try as a normal user and see what debug messages you have after that.
>
> Simon
>
> Le Mardi 25 Octobre 2005 15:42, Michael Frey a écrit :
>
>> Has anyone been able to get video working?
>>
>> I have linphone built with video support and I get so far as when
>> launching linphonec I get a video window whith local live video
>> playback.  (looks great!)
>>
>> When I attempt to make a call, my machine freezes.  I know Video
>> support is experimental, but I was wondering if I could make it work
>> somehow.
>>

>> Here is the output from the console:
>>
>> c sip:[hidden email]
>> Contacting  sip:[hidden email]
>> linphonec> Message:CALL_RINGING
>>
>> Warning:payload has no rtpmap.
>> Connected.
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: OssRead,0 -> MULAWEncoder,0
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: MULAWEncoder,0 -> RTPSend,0
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: RTPRecv,0 -> MULAWDecoder,0
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: MULAWDecoder,0 -> OssWrite,0
>> Message:Opening sound card [UCB1400 (Advanced Linux Sound
>> Architecture)] in capture mode with stereo=0,rate=8000,bits=16
>> Message:alsa_set_params:  blocksize=1024.
>> Message:Opening sound card [UCB1400 (Advanced Linux Sound
>> Architecture)] in playback mode with stereo=0,rate=8000,bits=16
>> Message:alsa_set_params:  blocksize=1024.
>> Message:Setting thread to realtime
>>
>> Message:Mediastreamer processing thread is exiting.
>> Message:Video encoder created: 40b1c930
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: msv4l,0 -> AVEncoder,0
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVEncoder,0 -> RTPSend,0
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: RTPRecv,0 -> AVdecoder,0
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVdecoder,0 -> MSSdlOut,0
>> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVEncoder,1 -> MSSdlOut,1
>> Message:Getting video channel ZC301-2
>> Message:Channel is a camera
>> Message:A valid video channel was found.
>> Message:Picture properties: depth=24, palette=4.
>> Message:Using 4-frames mmap'd buffer.
>> Warning:ms_filter_search_upstream_by_type: filter AVEncoder has no
>> info.
>> Warning:ms_filter_search_upstream_by_type: filter AVEncoder has no
>> info.
>> Warning:ms_rtp_send_setup: could not find upstream codec.
>> Message:Setting thread to realtime
>>
>> Warning:Must catchup 95 miliseconds.
>> Warning:Must catchup 90 miliseconds.
>> Warning:Must catchup 81 miliseconds.
>> Warning:Must catchup 74 miliseconds.
>> Warning:Must catchup 66 miliseconds.
>> Warning:Must catchup 56 miliseconds.
>> Message:Using yuv overlay.
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Michael

Re: Video? Almost working...

Simon Morlat
Hello,

First, thanks for reporting your test experience.

1. it uses a different port than the audio rtp port that you can configure
only manually from the config file (~/.gnome2/linphone ):

video_rtp_port=9078

Maybe this port isn't opened on the firewall ?

2. I have this behaviour when some packets are late (thus untransmitted to the
decoder).
Can you check this is the case while looking at the rtp stats given at the end
of the call (using --verbose) ?
If this is the case you can try increasing the video jitter compensation:

video_jitt_comp=100

Simon

Le Jeudi 27 Octobre 2005 14:30, Michael Frey a écrit :

> [...]
> >> Message:Setting thread to realtime
> >>
> >> Message:Mediastreamer processing thread is exiting.
> >> Message:Video encoder created: 40b1c930
> >> Message:ms_filter_add_link: msv4l,0 -> AVEncoder,0
> >> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVEncoder,0 -> RTPSend,0
> >> Message:ms_filter_add_link: RTPRecv,0 -> AVdecoder,0
> >> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVdecoder,0 -> MSSdlOut,0
> >> Message:ms_filter_add_link: AVEncoder,1 -> MSSdlOut,1
> >> Message:Getting video channel ZC301-2
> >> Message:Channel is a camera
> >> Message:A valid video channel was found.
> >> Message:Picture properties: depth=24, palette=4.
> >> Message:Using 4-frames mmap'd buffer.
> >> Warning:ms_filter_search_upstream_by_type: filter AVEncoder has no
> >> info.
> >> Warning:ms_filter_search_upstream_by_type: filter AVEncoder has no
> >> info.
> >> Warning:ms_rtp_send_setup: could not find upstream codec.

Re: Video? Almost working...

Michael Frey
Simon,

Thanks for the reply.  I now have things working correctly.  I must
have not mentioned I am running this on an ARM based processor.
Therefore I was running into the same problems that Uwe was having.
I alleviated the problem by increasing the rtp_payload_size in the
encoder.  It seems that much more space is needed to encode a frame
on the ARM platform.  It might have to do with padding for memory
alignment.

Video is now working great!!!

Thanks for the great work.

Michael