Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

Lassi Kortela
Here's a listing of all eggs with

- egg name
- description
- license
- latest egg version number for Chicken 5
- latest egg version number for Chicken 4
- link to egg documentation (wiki) and git repo for both versions
- color indicator saying whether each version is up to date or not

https://misc.lassi.io/2020/chicken-eggs.html

Generated by https://github.com/chicken-contrib/chicken-quick-links

If you have a better place to upload HTML files, or some cron job where
the script could run, feel free to hack on it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

felix.winkelmann
> Here's a listing of all eggs with
>
> - egg name
> - description
> - license
> - latest egg version number for Chicken 5
> - latest egg version number for Chicken 4
> - link to egg documentation (wiki) and git repo for both versions
> - color indicator saying whether each version is up to date or not
>
> https://misc.lassi.io/2020/chicken-eggs.html
>
> Generated by https://github.com/chicken-contrib/chicken-quick-links
>

This is great - we should definitely put this somewhere at call-cc.org.

(I especially like the

#t

at the end. :-)


felix


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

Mario Domenech Goulart-4
In reply to this post by Lassi Kortela
Hi Lassi,

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 00:12:52 +0200 Lassi Kortela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's a listing of all eggs with
>
> - egg name
> - description
> - license
> - latest egg version number for Chicken 5
> - latest egg version number for Chicken 4
> - link to egg documentation (wiki) and git repo for both versions
> - color indicator saying whether each version is up to date or not
>
> https://misc.lassi.io/2020/chicken-eggs.html
>
> Generated by https://github.com/chicken-contrib/chicken-quick-links
>
> If you have a better place to upload HTML files, or some cron job
> where the script could run, feel free to hack on it.

Isn't that page similar to https://eggs.call-cc.org/4/ and
https://eggs.call-cc.org/5/ in terms of content?

Regarding to the link to the eggs-[45]-latest repos, I think that can be
a bit misleading to people trying to find out the repository of eggs.
Those repositories are merely a representation of the egg caches in git
format -- they are NOT the canonical repositories of eggs.  The
canonical repositories should be linked from the egg documentation.

Just to give you a historical perspective, the eggs-[45]-latest repos
only exist to provide a convenient way for people to get the sources of
all eggs.  We had that possibility in the past when all eggs were in the
subversion repository.  With the adoption of the distributed egg system
we lost the ability of conveniently obtaining the sources of all eggs.
Those git repositories have been created to fill that gap.

Regarding versions being up to date or not, the intent of that
information is not clear to me (it's very probable that I'm just missing
something).  Some aspects that may be relevant when comparing egg
versions between CHICKEN 4 and 5:

* Some egg authors have deliberately stopped updating eggs for CHICKEN 4
  once they got ported to CHICKEN 5.

* Some egg authors have deliberately decided not to port some eggs from
  CHICKEN 4 to CHICKEN 5.

* Some extensions that are eggs in CHICKEN 5 are core units in CHICKEN 4.

* Most people who are creating new eggs are not making them available
  for CHICKEN 4.

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

Lassi Kortela
> Isn't that page similar to https://eggs.call-cc.org/4/ and
> https://eggs.call-cc.org/5/ in terms of content?

It collects both Chicken 4 and Chicken 5 versions of the information on
the same page, which is its main point.

> Regarding to the link to the eggs-[45]-latest repos, I think that can be
> a bit misleading to people trying to find out the repository of eggs.
> Those repositories are merely a representation of the egg caches in git
> format -- they are NOT the canonical repositories of eggs.  The
> canonical repositories should be linked from the egg documentation.

Good point. Could link to the origin repos instead.

> Regarding versions being up to date or not, the intent of that
> information is not clear to me (it's very probable that I'm just missing
> something).

The page is geared toward egg authors and maintainers, not for people
who just want to use an egg. That's why there's so much detail, and is
probably the main cause of confusion.

> Some aspects that may be relevant when comparing egg
> versions between CHICKEN 4 and 5:
>
> * Some egg authors have deliberately stopped updating eggs for CHICKEN 4
>    once they got ported to CHICKEN 5.
>
> * Some egg authors have deliberately decided not to port some eggs from
>    CHICKEN 4 to CHICKEN 5.
>
> * Most people who are creating new eggs are not making them available
>    for CHICKEN 4.

Sure. FWIW, some C4-only eggs have been ported to C5 upon request.

> * Some extensions that are eggs in CHICKEN 5 are core units in CHICKEN 4.

This would be useful to indicate somehow.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

Mario Domenech Goulart-4
Hi Lassi,

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:55:04 +0200 Lassi Kortela <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Isn't that page similar to https://eggs.call-cc.org/4/ and
>> https://eggs.call-cc.org/5/ in terms of content?
>
> It collects both Chicken 4 and Chicken 5 versions of the information
> on the same page, which is its main point.
>
>> Regarding to the link to the eggs-[45]-latest repos, I think that can be
>> a bit misleading to people trying to find out the repository of eggs.
>> Those repositories are merely a representation of the egg caches in git
>> format -- they are NOT the canonical repositories of eggs.  The
>> canonical repositories should be linked from the egg documentation.
>
> Good point. Could link to the origin repos instead.
>
>> Regarding versions being up to date or not, the intent of that
>> information is not clear to me (it's very probable that I'm just missing
>> something).
>
> The page is geared toward egg authors and maintainers, not for people
> who just want to use an egg. That's why there's so much detail, and is
> probably the main cause of confusion.

I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder if I'm missing the actual meessage that page is trying to
convey.  Is it about showing CHICKEN 4 eggs that are "missing" in
CHICKEN 5 or vice-versa?

>> Some aspects that may be relevant when comparing egg
>> versions between CHICKEN 4 and 5:
>>
>> * Some egg authors have deliberately stopped updating eggs for CHICKEN 4
>>    once they got ported to CHICKEN 5.
>>
>> * Some egg authors have deliberately decided not to port some eggs from
>>    CHICKEN 4 to CHICKEN 5.
>>
>> * Most people who are creating new eggs are not making them available
>>    for CHICKEN 4.
>
> Sure. FWIW, some C4-only eggs have been ported to C5 upon request.

Indeed.

>> * Some extensions that are eggs in CHICKEN 5 are core units in CHICKEN 4.
>
> This would be useful to indicate somehow.

Not sure if it does the trick, but those are documented here:
https://wiki.call-cc.org/porting-c4-to-c5#begin-with-the-easy-part-replacing-module-imports

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

Lassi Kortela
> I wonder if I'm missing the actual meessage that page is trying to
> convey.  Is it about showing CHICKEN 4 eggs that are "missing" in
> CHICKEN 5 or vice-versa?

That's one use of it -- or it shows if C5 has a different version of the
same egg than C4.

>>> * Some extensions that are eggs in CHICKEN 5 are core units in CHICKEN 4.
>
> Not sure if it does the trick, but those are documented here:
> https://wiki.call-cc.org/porting-c4-to-c5#begin-with-the-easy-part-replacing-module-imports

Thanks. I added a "Core" marker to those SRFIs.

<https://github.com/chicken-contrib/chicken-quick-links/commit/c03d10266a708e35da951508cee6a759a561b251>