Weblogger bugs (WordPress, Emacs 22, Linux)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Weblogger bugs (WordPress, Emacs 22, Linux)

Michael Stutz
I'm enjoying weblogger.el, which I'm using with WordPress, and would be
happy to volunteer with testing---I think a few tweaks could be easily
made (like supporting tags and categories) that would make it much more
practical to use.

I've also found a few bugs in the latest available files (weblogger.el
version 1.4.5 timestampped <2010-03-11 01:49:36 mah> and xml-rpc.el
version 1.6.9a). I sent a bug report about a week ago but also want to
send a mail here and describe what's going on:

First, I'm still encountering the time error that has been reported
before (bug #29277): the time shows correctly in Emacs, but when posted
to WordPress it appears as four hours earlier.

The other bug is that the body text is sent to Wordpress with soft
linefeeds. This doesn't work. What happens is that if you have Emacs set
up with a normal fill column (like 70), and auto-fill-mode as I imagine
most people do, your post buffer will look nice in Emacs, but when it
appears on WordPress the end of lines for each line will have been
treated like a hard carriage return, so the wordwrap will be off and
you'll have to go in (with the WordPress editor) and manually take out
every newline. The post text needs to be sent without any word wrap or
fill at all.

I saw this problem mentioned on
http://ciju.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/twiddling-with-webloggerel-emacs-wordpress/
but I tried applying his hooks and they didn't work. (What he does is
turn on longlines-mode before editing an entry, and then turns it off
before publishing it.)

How would you remove all soft newlines from the text of a buffer
before publishing it? That's the way to do it. I tried setting the fill
column to a value like 0, 99999, -1, but these did not work.

_______________________________________________
Emacsweblogs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacsweblogs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Weblogger bugs (WordPress, Emacs 22, Linux)

Mark A. Hershberger

> I'm enjoying weblogger.el, which I'm using with WordPress, and would be
> happy to volunteer with testing---I think a few tweaks could be easily
> made (like supporting tags and categories) that would make it much more
> practical to use.

Excellent.  I'd love to add these features which (as you can tell from
my tardy reply) might take a while.

I'm in the middle of making some significant changes to mediawiki.el so
I can't say when I'll finish that and have time to focus on the
necessary changes to weblogger.el.

> The other bug is that the body text is sent to Wordpress with soft
> linefeeds. This doesn't work. What happens is that if you have Emacs set
> up with a normal fill column (like 70), and auto-fill-mode as I imagine
> most people do, your post buffer will look nice in Emacs, but when it
> appears on WordPress the end of lines for each line will have been
> treated like a hard carriage return, so the wordwrap will be off and
> you'll have to go in (with the WordPress editor) and manually take out
> every newline. The post text needs to be sent without any word wrap or
> fill at all.

I'm familiar with this sort of problem.

> I saw this problem mentioned on
> http://ciju.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/twiddling-with-webloggerel-emacs-wordpress/
> but I tried applying his hooks and they didn't work. (What he does is
> turn on longlines-mode before editing an entry, and then turns it off
> before publishing it.)

That is what I would recommend.

> How would you remove all soft newlines from the text of a buffer
> before publishing it? That's the way to do it. I tried setting the fill
> column to a value like 0, 99999, -1, but these did not work.

You can do it manually: turn on longlines-mode when you start editing
and turn off auto-fill-mode.

    M-x auto-fill-mode RET
    M-x longlines-mode RET

and then, before posting it, turn off long lines mode:

    M-x longlines-mode RET

Since this is a common complaint, it'd be good to automate this and
document what needs to be done.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Embrace Ignorance.  Just don't get too attached.

_______________________________________________
Emacsweblogs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacsweblogs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Weblogger bugs (WordPress, Emacs 22, Linux)

J. David Boyd-2
In reply to this post by Michael Stutz
Michael Stutz <[hidden email]> writes:

>
> First, I'm still encountering the time error that has been reported
> before (bug #29277): the time shows correctly in Emacs, but when posted
> to WordPress it appears as four hours earlier.


The fast way I've found to get around this is to remove the - from in
front of the 0400 time zone value.

I noticed my time was off, so I started playing around, and removing the
'-' gives me the correct time.

Dave



_______________________________________________
Emacsweblogs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacsweblogs