What to do with 404 error

duplicity-talk mailing list
Duplicity has been rock solid for so long, thank you for a great
product.

Lately, I've started getting a 404 error:

Copying
duplicity-new-signatures.20171127T032531Z.to.20171127T032531Z.sigtar.gpg
to local cache.
Attempt 1 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Attempt 2 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Attempt 3 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Attempt 4 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

The 5th attempt causes duplicity to fail. I suppose this is some
corruption on the (remote) backup side? These backups aren't of the
highest importance, so I could purge and start over, but is it possible
to fix this problem and keep the backup chain?

Re: What to do with 404 error

duplicity-talk mailing list
What command line?  What distro?

It looks like a DNS error from here.  Can you get to the site?

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 2:44 PM, MRob via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Duplicity has been rock solid for so long, thank you for a great product.

Lately, I've started getting a 404 error:

Copying duplicity-new-signatures.20171127T032531Z.to.20171127T032531Z.sigtar.gpg to local cache.
Attempt 1 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Attempt 2 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Attempt 3 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Attempt 4 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

The 5th attempt causes duplicity to fail. I suppose this is some corruption on the (remote) backup side? These backups aren't of the highest importance, so I could purge and start over, but is it possible to fix this problem and keep the backup chain?

Re: What to do with 404 error

duplicity-talk mailing list
and a detailed error stack would be nice.. ede/duply.net

PS: 404 is definitely an answer from an http host, so probably not a dns issue.

On 04.12.2017 01:32, Kenneth Loafman via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> What command line?  What distro?
>
> It looks like a DNS error from here.  Can you get to the site?
>

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 2:44 PM, MRob via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Duplicity has been rock solid for so long, thank you for a great product.
>
>     Lately, I've started getting a 404 error:
>
>     Copying duplicity-new-signatures.20171127T032531Z.to.20171127T032531Z.sigtar.gpg to local cache.
>     Attempt 1 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>     Attempt 2 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>     Attempt 3 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>     Attempt 4 failed. HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>
>     The 5th attempt causes duplicity to fail. I suppose this is some corruption on the (remote) backup side? These backups aren't of the highest importance, so I could purge and start over, but is it possible to fix this problem and keep the backup chain?

Re: What to do with 404 error

duplicity-talk mailing list
Kenneth thanks for your reply

this is on manually installed duplicity 0.7.14 on debian

> It looks like a DNS error from here.  Can you get to the site?

yes. when run an example restore command with debug verbosity, it turns
out the file being 404'd is different than what is suggested in normall
logging. The logged sigtar.gpg file is downloaded ok but duplicity also
wants the matching (similar named sigtar.gpg.par2) file. I checked, in
fact the par2 file *is* missing. Looking at the last backup before this
error, it looks like the backup had some problems, having several of
these:

Attempt 1 failed. URLError: <urlopen error timed out>

Is there any way to recover from a par2 file that hadn't been uploaded
to the remote backups?

Re: What to do with 404 error

duplicity-talk mailing list
PS: 404 is definitely an answer from an http host, so probably not a dns issue.

D'Oh - entirely too much blood in my caffeine stream!

On 2017-12-05 14:37, Kenneth Loafman via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>> PS: 404 is definitely an answer from an http host, so probably not a
>> dns issue.
>
> D'Oh - entirely too much blood in my caffeine stream!

I've identified that it is 404ing on a missing .par2 file that duplicity
was originally unable to upload due to what looks like a network error.
Is there any way to recover the integrity of the backup chain in this
case or must the backup store be purged?

Re: What to do with 404 error

On 06.12.2017 03:45, MRob via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> On 2017-12-05 14:37, Kenneth Loafman via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>>> PS: 404 is definitely an answer from an http host, so probably not a
>>> dns issue.
>>
>> D'Oh - entirely too much blood in my caffeine stream!
>
> I've identified that it is 404ing on a missing .par2 file that duplicity was originally unable to upload due to what looks like a network error. Is there any way to recover the integrity of the backup chain in this case or must the backup store be purged?

as a workaround you try to verify w/o the par2 wrapper backend.

btw - having missing files on the backend is a good reason to make a new full preferrably to another backend until you are sure what happend w/ the old one.

..ede