Why doesnot the stumpwm + swank eval anything ?

Why doesnot the stumpwm + swank eval anything ?

z_axis
The following code can start swank server normally

(load "~/.vim/slime/swank-loader.lisp")
(swank-loader:init)
(defcommand swank () ()
   (setf stumpwm:*top-level-error-action* :break)
   (swank:create-server :port 4005
                        :style swank:*communication-style*
                        :dont-close t)
   (echo-string (current-screen)
            "Starting swank. M-x slime-connect RET RET, then (in-package
stumpwm)."))
(swank)

Although slimv (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2531) can
connect to the swank server, it doesnot eval any lisp expressions.
If stumpwm doesnot start swank server, slimv will spawn a new sbcl
process.  And slimv will work normally.

I feel a new sbcl process is not necessary as stumpwm is a complete CL
environment.

Sincerely!

Re: Why doesnot the stumpwm + swank eval anything ?

Diogo F. S. Ramos
z_axis <[hidden email]> writes:

> The following code can start swank server normally
>
> (load "~/.vim/slime/swank-loader.lisp")
> (swank-loader:init)
> (defcommand swank () ()
>   (setf stumpwm:*top-level-error-action* :break)
>   (swank:create-server :port 4005
>                        :style swank:*communication-style*
>                        :dont-close t)
>   (echo-string (current-screen)
>            "Starting swank. M-x slime-connect RET RET, then
> (in-package stumpwm)."))
> (swank)
>

> Although slimv (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2531)
> can connect to the swank server, it doesnot eval any lisp expressions.
> If stumpwm doesnot start swank server, slimv will spawn a new sbcl
> process.  And slimv will work normally.
>
> I feel a new sbcl process is not necessary as stumpwm is a complete CL
> environment.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with slimv, but what do you mean by
"doesn't eval any lisp expression"? Can you do simple arithmetic
expressions, like (+ 41 1)?

Is the code that you've presented inside ~/.stumpwmrc?

Reading your code, I can see the `echo-string' procedure. Can you
confirm, right after stumpwm initialization, that "Starting swank. M-x
slime connect RET RET, then (in-package stumpwm)." has been echoed?
Maybe using C-t m, or the equivalent in your system.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos