Wikipedia article on rdiff-backup

David Croll

Hi,

as I'm the main author of the German Wikipedia article on rdiff-backup,
I wanted to ask the Germish-speakers among us whether there's some
important info missing, or how it could be improved in any way.

The article is so extensive that it serves as a manual...

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rdiff-backup

David

RE: Wikipedia article on rdiff-backup

Adrian A. Baumann-2
Hi David, hi List,

One thing I've noticed (and will change on the article later, I'm at
work...) is the statement, that a simple cp or rsync command is
sufficient to restore data. That is only the case if rdiff-backup is run
as root on the machine where the backup is stored... otherwise, the
files are there, but the owners, groups and permissions are different
from the original file system and stored in a file whose name I can't
remember off hand.

Cheers,

Adrian

"David Croll" [hidden email] – 6 March 2020 13:43

> Hi,
>

> as I'm the main author of the German Wikipedia article on rdiff-backup,
> I wanted to ask the Germish-speakers among us whether there's some
> important info missing, or how it could be improved in any way.
>
> The article is so extensive that it serves as a manual...
>
> de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rdiff-backup
>

> David

> E.F.A. Project, and is believed to be clean.

E.F.A. Project, and is believed to be clean.

Re: Wikipedia article on rdiff-backup

EricZolf
Hi,

few more comments:

- rdiff-backup-fs exists and we've got a copy in our GitHub group, but I
have strong doubts that it's still working (looking for a volunteer to
maintain BTW).
- "Das Backup kann mittels --no-fsync massiv beschleunigt werden, wobei
aber die zu schreibenden Daten nicht im RAM gepuffert werden, und darum
bei Systemfehlern Datenverluste drohen." is not correct: the data _are_
buffered in RAM and hence can get lost (the "nicht" before "im RAM" is
too much). To be technically very correct, the data is buffered in both
case but, with --no-fsync, they are not immediately written back to disk.
- one other option for "Zeitangaben" is the "xB" where x is the number
of backups (0B being the most recent one), valid for --remove-older-than
and for -r.

Thansk, Eric