Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

Harald Hannelius

Hi all,

I have a win 2019 server that I'd like to take backups from. I'm using the
OpenSSH version included in MS RSAT and I have succesfully created SSH-keys
and I can verify that running the ssh-command indeed starts a rdiff-backup
in server-mode on the linux box.

C:\Users\myself\Desktop\rdiff\rdiff-backup.exe -v9 "foobar" "root@backupserver::/backup/win19"
Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Using rdiff-backup version 1.3.3
Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Executing ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup --server
Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Client sending (0): ConnectionRequest: Globals.get with 1 arguments
Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Fatal Error:

Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing

     ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup --server

Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page for more
information on this.  This message may also be displayed if the remote
version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (1.3.3).

I have tried with both 1.2.8 and 1.3.3 on Windows to no avail. The
linux-server is a Debian 8 box with rdiff-backup 1.2.8.

If I run the command "ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup --server" I get
a rdiff-backup in servermode on the linuxbox and typing characters results
in an python-error (which is expected).

Please advice on how to find out why this doesn't work.

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020

Re: Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

Dominic Raferd-3
On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:01, Harald Hannelius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a win 2019 server that I'd like to take backups from. I'm using the
> OpenSSH version included in MS RSAT and I have succesfully created
> SSH-keys
> and I can verify that running the ssh-command indeed starts a rdiff-backup
> in server-mode on the linux box.
>
> C:\Users\myself\Desktop\rdiff\rdiff-backup.exe -v9 "foobar"
> "root@backupserver::/backup/win19"
> Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Using rdiff-backup version 1.3.3
> Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Executing ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup
> --server
> Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Client sending (0): ConnectionRequest:
> Globals.get with 1 arguments
> Fri Mar 29 12:44:13 2019  Fatal Error:
>
> Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing
>
>      ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup --server
>
> Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
> installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page for more
> information on this.  This message may also be displayed if the remote
> version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (1.3.3).
>
> I have tried with both 1.2.8 and 1.3.3 on Windows to no avail. The
> linux-server is a Debian 8 box with rdiff-backup 1.2.8.
>

> If I run the command "ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup --server" I
> get
> a rdiff-backup in servermode on the linuxbox and typing characters results
> in an python-error (which is expected).
>
> Please advice on how to find out why this doesn't work.

I think you haven't specified the key correctly. Here is an example using
plink.exe (from
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html):
rdiff-backup.exe --remote-schema "plink.exe -P 22 -ssh -i
""C:\path\to\privatekey.ppk"" %s rdiff-backup --server"
C:/path/to/SourceData root@backupserver::"/backup/repo1"

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Dominic Raferd wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:01, Harald Hannelius <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> If I run the command "ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup --server" I
>> get a rdiff-backup in servermode on the linuxbox and typing characters
>> results in an python-error (which is expected).
>>

> I think you haven't specified the key correctly. Here is an example using
> plink.exe (from
> https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html):
> rdiff-backup.exe --remote-schema "plink.exe -P 22 -ssh -i
> ""C:\path\to\privatekey.ppk"" %s rdiff-backup --server"
> C:/path/to/SourceData root@backupserver::"/backup/repo1"

Nope, adding the -i option to ssh.exe didn't change anything. If I copy-the
command in the error-message and run it by itself it works. Same with or
without -i <key>.

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020

Re: Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

Dominic Raferd-3
On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:47, Harald Hannelius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:01, Harald Hannelius <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> If I run the command "ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup --server"
> >> get a rdiff-backup in servermode on the linuxbox and typing characters
> >> results in an python-error (which is expected).
> >>

> > I think you haven't specified the key correctly. Here is an example using
> > plink.exe (from
> > https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html):
> > rdiff-backup.exe --remote-schema "plink.exe -P 22 -ssh -i
> > ""C:\path\to\privatekey.ppk"" %s rdiff-backup --server"
> > C:/path/to/SourceData root@backupserver::"/backup/repo1"
>
> Nope, adding the -i option to ssh.exe didn't change anything. If I
> copy-the
> command in the error-message and run it by itself it works. Same with or
> without -i <key>.

Use plink, this is required when connecting from Windows.

Re: Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

Harald Hannelius

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Dominic Raferd wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:47, Harald Hannelius <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Dominic Raferd wrote:
>>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:01, Harald Hannelius <
>> [hidden email]>

>>> I think you haven't specified the key correctly. Here is an example using
>>> plink.exe (from
>>> https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html):
>>> rdiff-backup.exe --remote-schema "plink.exe -P 22 -ssh -i
>>> ""C:\path\to\privatekey.ppk"" %s rdiff-backup --server"
>>> C:/path/to/SourceData root@backupserver::"/backup/repo1"
>>
>> Nope, adding the -i option to ssh.exe didn't change anything. If I
>> copy-the
>> command in the error-message and run it by itself it works. Same with or
>> without -i <key>.
>>

> Use plink, this is required when connecting from Windows.

I tried that too. I have the plink.exe command that starts a remote
rdiff-backup on the linux-server and it works from the commandline on the
windows-server.

However, rdiff-backup is unable to use plink.exe and fails with the same
error.

Fri Mar 29 13:51:49 2019  Using rdiff-backup version 1.3.3
Fri Mar 29 13:51:49 2019  Executing  C:\Users\myself\Desktop\rdiff\plink.exe -P 22 -ssh -i C:\users\myself\.ssh\putty-id.ppk  root@backupserver /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --server
Fri Mar 29 13:51:49 2019  Client sending (0): ConnectionRequest: Globals.get with 1 arguments
Fri Mar 29 13:51:49 2019  Fatal Error:

Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing

      C:\Users\myself\Desktop\rdiff\plink.exe -P 22 -ssh -i C:\users\myself\.ssh\putty-id.ppk  root@backupserver /usr/bin/rdiff-backup --server

Remember that, under the default settings, rdiff-backup must be
installed in the PATH on the remote system.  See the man page for more
information on this.  This message may also be displayed if the remote
version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (1.3.3).

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020

Re: Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

Dominic Raferd-3
On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:57, Harald Hannelius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:47, Harald Hannelius <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >> [hidden email]>

> using
> >>
> >> Nope, adding the -i option to ssh.exe didn't change anything. If I
> >> copy-the
> >> command in the error-message and run it by itself it works. Same with or
> >> without -i <key>.
> >>

> > Use plink, this is required when connecting from Windows.
>
> I tried that too. I have the plink.exe command that starts a remote
> rdiff-backup on the linux-server and it works from the commandline on the
> windows-server.
>
> However, rdiff-backup is unable to use plink.exe and fails with the same
> error.

Googling the error shows that it has been seen with connection from Linux
clients, so I don't think it relates to Windows. Are you confident that you
have the same versions of rdiff-backup on client and on server? Otherwise I
am out of ideas (I don't have Windows 2019 Server).

Re: Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

Harald Hannelius

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:57, Harald Hannelius <[hidden email]>> wrote:

>> I tried that too. I have the plink.exe command that starts a remote
>> rdiff-backup on the linux-server and it works from the commandline on the
>> windows-server.
>>
>> However, rdiff-backup is unable to use plink.exe and fails with the same
>> error.
>>
> Googling the error shows that it has been seen with connection from Linux
> clients, so I don't think it relates to Windows. Are you confident that you
> have the same versions of rdiff-backup on client and on server? Otherwise I
> am out of ideas (I don't have Windows 2019 Server).

Yes, I have tried with both 1.2.8 and 1.3.3 as stated in the original
e-mail.

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020

Re: Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

Joe Steele-2
I don't have experience with your setup.  Nonetheless, here are some
things to check:

Check the linux server logs.  Are there any messages about ssh
connection attempts from the Windows client?

Use tcpdump on linux (or maybe Wireshark on Windows) to see if a
connection attempt is occurring.

Try adding the location of plink.exe to the Windows Path environment
variable (but this shouldn't be necessary since it appears that you were
invoking plink with the full path anyway.)  To me, your error messages
are consistent with rdiff-backup not being able to find and execute
plink. Try intentionally misspelling plink when invoking rdiff-backup --
you likely will see the same error that you are currently getting.

Try a test by removing the passphrase from your private key.  It may be
that plink is unable to access the terminal in order to prompt for a
passphrase.

On 3/29/2019 8:06 AM, Harald Hannelius wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Dominic Raferd wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 at 11:57, Harald Hannelius
>> <[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>>> I tried that too. I have the plink.exe command that starts a remote
>>> rdiff-backup on the linux-server and it works from the commandline on
>>> the
>>> windows-server.
>>>
>>> However, rdiff-backup is unable to use plink.exe and fails with the same
>>> error.
>>>
>> Googling the error shows that it has been seen with connection from Linux
>> clients, so I don't think it relates to Windows. Are you confident
>> that you
>> have the same versions of rdiff-backup on client and on server?
>> Otherwise I
>> am out of ideas (I don't have Windows 2019 Server).
>
> Yes, I have tried with both 1.2.8 and 1.3.3 as stated in the original
> e-mail.

Re: Win 2019 to linux doesn't work

Yves Bellefeuille
On Friday 29 March 2019, Harald Hannelius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing
>
>      ssh -C root@backupserver rdiff-backup --server

I have no experience with Windows server, but did you try running rdiff-
backup under Cygwin? I find that works better.

Yves

--
Yves Bellefeuille <[hidden email]>
GPG key 837A6134 at http://members.storm.ca/~yan/pgp.asc

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Joe Steele wrote:

> I don't have experience with your setup.  Nonetheless, here are some things
> to check:
>
> Check the linux server logs.  Are there any messages about ssh connection
> attempts from the Windows client?

None, whatsoever. Not by using plink.exe or ssh.exe. If I run the ssh- or
plink-commands by themselves the connection gets established.

> Use tcpdump on linux (or maybe Wireshark on Windows) to see if a connection
> attempt is occurring.
>
> Try adding the location of plink.exe to the Windows Path environment variable
> (but this shouldn't be necessary since it appears that you were invoking
> plink with the full path anyway.)  To me, your error messages are consistent
> with rdiff-backup not being able to find and execute plink. Try intentionally
> misspelling plink when invoking rdiff-backup -- you likely will see the same
> error that you are currently getting.

You are right. Mis-spelling e.g. plinka.exe leads to the same error.

> Try a test by removing the passphrase from your private key.  It may be that
> plink is unable to access the terminal in order to prompt for a passphrase.

I don't have a passphrase on these keys.

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020