Windows backup to Linux Server

remush
Hi all,

I've just started experimenting with rdiff-backup and have it working fine in the following way.

local backup
rdiff-backup c:\source c:\dest

network backup using mapped network drive on windows 7 to our networked backup server.
rdiff-backup c:\source z:\dest

The network computer is microcore linux, running samba shares for our backups.

I'm wondering if there is advantages in sending the rdiff backup from windows to the linux server via ssh ?

I had hopped that I would find information about this at this page.

But the page is deleted, Can anyone perhaps refer me to a page that explains the advantages if any and how to set this up ?

Thanks,
Remus.

Re: Windows backup to Linux Server

Dominic Ferard-2
Remus,

I think there have been reports here of problems both with using
rdiff-backup via samba (smb) and, independently, to a Windows
destination. By contrast, backup from Windows to Linux via ssh is well
tested and reliable - except perhaps (others may know better) when
restoring Windows ACLs.

You might like to look at my TimeDicer project
http://www.timedicer.co.uk, this uses rdiff-backup and is designed for
local network data backup from Windows with an option for secondary
offsite backup. It uses a special-purpose server based on Ubuntu and
communication is by ssh. (For offsite backup of the server it uses rsync
with ssh and --link-dest.) For file recovery it includes rdiffWeb.

An alternative is JBackpack http://www.nongnu.org/jbackpack/, this has
options to use ssh or smb for communication.

Dominic